Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tough ride tonight on the coast

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We just had some "stuff" come through here yesterday from the Gulf of Alaska... pretty common stormtrack hereabouts. The rains have gone, leaving in their wake some nice, chilly 12-14 mph northwinds. I don't much care for riding into a headwind -who does, I guess- but there I was. I figure more than half my ride was uphill (some quite by choice; the only way to get better at climbing...) and into the wind. Nice. That'll take your 15-19 mph pace and knock it down to 6 or 7 mph in a hurry. I figure I put 19 miles of effort into an 11 mile ride tonight. Had to get out, though, even though... I made an appointment with the vet for Friday to say goodbye to our "little girl". That cold wind felt pretty good.
Old 03-01-07, 06:37 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wind is natural for most of us...I was thinking, here in Kansas, but... most everywhere. It is something you have to get used to or you don't ride. Of course the moving air comes and goes and when you are going against it the speed drops ...........on the other hand as you say it builds muscle.
Old 03-01-07, 09:41 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I remember my first bicycle encounter with northern California headwinds. I was doing my first century (actually, a metric double) with my cousin, from Los Altos to Santa Cruz, then up the coast to San Gregorio, then back over the ridge through Palo Alto to return to our starting point. The entire ordeal took 12 hours, almost as long as my Double Century the next year, partly because I had to grind in a 45-inch gear against a headwind all the way up the coast. (We probably should have made the loop anticlockwise, instead. ) Even worse, the third member of our group, one of my college pals, took advantage of his grannie gearing to get ahead of us on the climb out of San Gregorio, but he turned left on Skyline and headed up the peninsula. Each of us slept for a good 12 hours after that adventure.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-01-07, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
We've been getting some of that same "stuff" tracking in off the Gulf, but even in the worst weather, a ride helps restore my soul to handle life's hard times. Sorry to hear about your pet friend. Been nursing our "puppy girl" yellow lab through kidney failure for going on two years now. Starting at Thanksgiving time, the old girl began needing help up into the rear of my wagon so I will likely face that same hard decision soon. Don
Old 03-01-07, 11:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That truly sucks, Don, I'm sorry to hear that.
Old 03-01-07, 03:42 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Sorry to hear about the pets.

Also sorry to hear about the winds...they'll probably be here on the East Coast just in time for the weekend riding.
Old 03-02-07, 09:20 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Those of us who are smallish and light would rather fight gravity than a headwind any time.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-02-07, 10:33 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Also sorry to hear about the winds...they'll probably be here on the East Coast just in time for the weekend riding.
They're in Ohio today It's a beautiful sunny day with temps in the low 40's and winds to match
They've issued a wind advisory for the area - 20-30 mph winds with gusts up to 50. Don't think the bike will be leaving the garage today.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-02-07, 11:42 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SaiKaiTai, you are certainly pounding away at it. Deciding to have a go at riding uphill & into a strong wind is certainly a testament to your dedication to achieving a higher fitness level. And it sounds like you are capable of making much more difficult rides than you were a few months ago.
Old 03-02-07, 01:34 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I can get out of the wind. I can't get out of gravity.
Old 03-02-07, 01:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
SaiKaiTai, you are certainly pounding away at it. Deciding to have a go at riding uphill & into a strong wind is certainly a testament to your dedication to achieving a higher fitness level. And it sounds like you are capable of making much more difficult rides than you were a few months ago.
Back when I was riding regularly 20 years ago, I got to where I not only didn't shy away from hills, I looked for them. That was a goal of mine coming back to it... not to be afraid of tackling a climb. Hard? Yeah, they're hard but there I am making sure I get some in with every ride. I really have come a long way.

As a side note, Abbey is gone now. She is, once again, a 6 year old dog running on the beach. There was and never will be a finer freind than she. If there is a God in heaven, surely he has blessed her. Amen.
Old 03-02-07, 02:01 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
As a side note, Abbey is gone now. She is, once again, a 6 year old dog running on the beach. There was and never will be a finer freind than she. If there is a God in heaven, surely he has blessed her. Amen.
Sorry to hear about Abbey. I had to go through the same thing late last year with my 16 year old cat, D.C.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-02-07, 03:17 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over the past 30+ years, our family has lost many pets. For some, there was much grief. About 4 years back, we lost a 15 yr old cat that my wife and daughter saved from a tomcat attack when it was 4 weeks old, suffering some permanent damage. That cat became the most faithful companion to my wife that I've ever seen in a cat. When she worked out in our garden, the cat would follow her through the yard and sit or sleep nearby, until she came back up with the cat right behind her. Today the cat is buried next to the garden, with a special stone over the grave. I know my wife talks to him everyday she works in the garden.

And I think it is going to be worse whenever our 3 year old golden retriever goes. Those two are inseparable.
Old 03-02-07, 04:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Sorry to hear about Abbey. Something tells me there has been or will soon be some very soulful blues being picked on a dobro in Pacifica. I think I may just have to grab a harp and walk back to a quiet spot in the woods behind the house and bend a few notes for Nalley (my long departed but never forgotten Golden).
Old 03-02-07, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll see her again some day.
Old 03-03-07, 03:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all... much truth spoken here. One does get attached. Dammit.
But it's nice to know she'll be waiting. Meanwhile, there's some pain and some joyous memories.
Today was also my wife's birthday. We went out to dinner tonight and celebrated the life we had with our little girl. She was a sweetie. I wondered, if George Foreman can have 6 Georges, why can't we have a second Abbey? She's not going for it.

Blues? In many forms. Before we left, I played "It's Too Late" on the stereo.
I came home and pulled out my little Gibby and played an old Fleetwood Mac song, "Jumpin' at Shadows". There is some deep, deep feeling in that song.

But, really, I want to write one for her. She deserves a song. Somewhere inside of me, I have one.

Tomorrow, I ride.