Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tail winds do not give a workout.

8 am this morning and a bit breezy but sun was out and it looked as though it would be an offroad ride to breakfast. By 9 the rain had come and as there were only two of us- we decided to wait till the rain cut back a bit. Quick look at the sky and it was black. No sign of Blue or light colour in the clouds and the wind had got up. Bit pointless waiting as it was not going to let up for quite a while. Did not fancy the open hilltops in the wind and rain so quick change of plans to check out the road bike. Yesterday I put a 12/28 cassette on and I wanted to see if it ran OK with the Tiagra R. derailler and I can assure you that it does.

I wanted to see if it would give an appreciable difference to my lowest gear and To be honest-I don't know. The only hill that I went up had a Headwind and I could not tell you if it felt better as I used it well before I should have done. Top of the hill and look for another hill. Decided to do the long drag of about 2 miles up to Beachy Head as this is about 6% with a couple of sharp increases at a couple of corners. Only problem was - I now had a tailwind. I did not even get down to granny. That wind was blowing me along and just to find out how much- I slowed to a crawl at the flat bit at the top and let the wind take me. In 1/4 mile I was up to 15mph without pedalling.

Testing was absolutely pointless so it was time to get down to the cafe for a coffee and a bun. Just as we got to the cafe the sun came out but with that strength of wind- I wimped out and went inside instead of sitting out watching the world go by.

Only around 35 miles today but I think this was the easiest ride I have had in a long time. That tailwind made it so easy but I did not achieve the "Testing" I wanted to do on the Cassette or on myself. One interesting point though- We only saw 2 other cyclists in the whole of the ride. One roadie and one MTB. No one was on the MUP on the way home. No groups of roadies on the road and no MTB's on the hills. Where was everybody? Only thing I can think of is that they do not fancy riding in the rain and the wind. They do not know what they missed.

The attachment by the way is of the long drag up to Beachy Head- taken from near the top. I can assure you that it is long.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapfam; 02-11-07 at 09:54 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is something seriously wrong with the whole idea of complaining about tailwind. That rare and elusive (some would say legendary or fictional) condition is a blessing from the cycling spirits and should always be enjoyed and appreciated. You never know when and if you will experience it again.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    << I can assure you that it is long.>>

I can vouch for that! I've driven up it a few times, but have yet to attempt to ride it. Maybe this summer?

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo
    << I can assure you that it is long.>>

I can vouch for that! I've driven up it a few times, but have yet to attempt to ride it. Maybe this summer?
    We WILL meet up this summer. Just to get ready for it- Do you ride road or MTB and do you have a bike over here.

BD. I will normally curse a head wind but all I wanted this morning was to check out if the 28t rear sprocket gave me an appreciable difference to the 26 that used to be fitted. With the strong headwind up one hill and the strong tailwind on the other--I could not tell. Nothing for it- I will just have to get another ride in shortly up the same hills- preferably on a still day with 70degrees of warmth and brilliant sun to keep me smiling. Just wonder if that will happen before June.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    We WILL meet up this summer. Just to get ready for it- Do you ride road or MTB and do you have a bike over here.
    Yes, we will meet up!!! I have a road bike over there - nothing too fancy, Al frame and triple for me ol' legs on those hills. We are seriously thinking of buying a tandem to leave over there, too. If you see a 58/46 road tandem for sale in good nick, I'd be interested, otherwise we'll think about the Trek 2000, which is a lot cheaper to buy/bring from here.
    p.s. it's 72F here today - so there:-)

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quoting Rob Lucas during RAAM last June: "138 miles of 35 mph tailwinds definitely doesn't suck!"
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo
    Yes, we will meet up!!! I have a road bike over there - nothing too fancy, Al frame and triple for me ol' legs on those hills. We are seriously thinking of buying a tandem to leave over there, too. If you see a 58/46 road tandem for sale in good nick, I'd be interested, otherwise we'll think about the Trek 2000, which is a lot cheaper to buy/bring from here.
    p.s. it's 72F here today - so there:-)
    ALL Tandems are expensive over here and secondhand do not really exist. If they do- they are always the wrong size and too expensive. Just so you can compare prices-A link to Evans bike store that is only at Gatwick- but not a store I frequent.

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?...ubdept_id=4018

Spike Milligan

del dot
    My Bikes
    Tour Easy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No such thing as a tailwind!

There are headwinds, there's calm air, and there's "Man, I'm having a really good day!"

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tailwind?
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tailwind is my stoker.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I use tailwinds for is if I'm trying to set a new personal best on speed average.

A 7-15 mph tailwind (winds 10-20 vs 3-5) will give me about 1.5 mph average over a 10 mile course.
    Its on a us highway so if winds are really gusting, I don't ride that route. And I've been tempted to do a reverse experiment (headwind), but havn't the will power to try it.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal
    Tailwind?
    Here's me on one for a test ride.
    Last edited by Dchiefransom; 02-08-09 at 10:41 AM.
    Silver Eagle Pilot