Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

To his great surprise, Tom finds a comfortable road bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07, 05:14 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I've been casually testing road bikes for a few months now. My out of proportion body making it difficult to find something comfortable. I'm 5' 7.5" but have an inseam of only 28.5" So my lower body is roughly what a typical person around 5'0-5'2" would be, but my upper body is more like 5'10"-5'11".

Up to now about 90% of the road bikes I've tried were older models, with a couple of new ones thrown in. The only commonality was that all of them were very uncomfortable for me.

My short legs could only carry me over a bike with a frame size of around 48-49cm. But then I was very cramped through my upper body on the small frame.

Today an LBS introduced me to a new compact geometry road bike. The kind that have a slanted top tube, which enables the frame to have a higher front end combined with a lower standover height. The salesman, who claimed to be afflected with the same syndrome, perhaps to an ever greater degree as he is 5'9" with a 29" inseam, was very knowledgable on the subject.

He sized me up and put me on a Schwinn that had a 54cm compact geometry frame and a bit longer wheelbase than a typical compact frame. Wow! What a difference! We dinked around a bit with adjusting the saddle, I got back on and it felt so much better than any road bike I've ever been on before.

After that I tried another Schwinn and a Felt, both with the compact frame / slanted top tube, and they were both quite nice too. A revelation to old Tom!

The bike that really felt nice was a Schwinn Super Sport DBX - which is an all-purpose road bike. Bicycle Magazine printed a positive review on it last year. They are offering it at 25% off as it is a 2006 model. Not what I was looking to spend, but it made me think.
https://www.bikemag.com/gear/bikes/021206_schwinn/

On the down side, he informed me that finding used road bikes that would fit me would be a very difficult task. And I can forget about looking for a lower-cost steel 80's road bike unless I buy a woman's model.

In any case, I now have something to ponder and learn more about. Not that I'm looking to buy anything soon, as I have my new recumbent to get used to. And since I don't ride much on roads anyway, there really isn't much reason to buy a road bike. I was just hoping to find a cheap one to ride around the neighborhood to gain some experience on one.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-13-07, 05:24 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy it. Buy it! BUY IT!!!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-13-07, 05:32 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
This is the reason that I took up building my own bikes from bare frames. 6'0" with a 29.5" inseam.

+1 on the compact frame road bike.
Even my mountain bike is very compact. A Haro V4 frame. very short standover, relatively long top tube.
I'm not sure you got good advice on the womens design bike though. That design seems to be on the opposite side of the coin. Long legs and relatively short torso.
On older road bikes with conventionla frames you probably have to sacrifice standover height for adequate top tube length. Not as good an idea for MTB where you may come to a sudden stop at any time.
Old 02-13-07, 05:50 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He didn't recommend me buying an 80s women's bike, just said that is the only way I could get one that would allow me to standover it. That was just a brief comment, we didn't really pursue that topic.

If I were to get a conventional older bike with say a 56cm frame, the standover height would be 2-3" higher than what I could handle. I'm not likely to give that a try. Sooner or later, I would be paying a supreme price for what I thought was a cheap bike.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-13-07, 05:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Buy it. Buy it! BUY IT!!!
I am thoroughly disgusted with you, you pointy headed weasel!

You get to buy cheap 80s bikes that fit you. And then come here and lord it over me.

You can just go out to Craiglists and get your lift-off, buy your 54-56cm bike without having to worry about a steel tube bashing your jewels in the middle of a relaxing bike ride.

You make me sick.

Old 02-13-07, 05:58 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I am thoroughly disgusted with you, you pointy headed weasel!

You get to buy cheap 80s bikes that fit you. And then come here and lord it over me.

You can just go out to Craiglists and get your lift-off, buy your 54-56cm bike without having to worry about a steel tube bashing your jewels in the middle of a relaxing bike ride.

You make me sick.

However, calling people names is a violation of the Terms of Use you agreed to when you signed up for this Forum. Please don't make me call a moderator.

Perhaps you should ask yourself WWWD?

Old 02-13-07, 06:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WWWD?

What would "W" do?

Could that be "Dubya"?

If so, then I would probably nuke you.

Old 02-13-07, 06:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone want to start a pool about how long these posts remain on the board?
Old 02-13-07, 06:07 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
So I've been casually testing road bikes for a few months now. My out of proportion body making it difficult to find something comfortable. I'm 5' 7.5" but have an inseam of only 28.5" So my lower body is roughly what a typical person around 5'0-5'2" would be, but my upper body is more like 5'10"-5'11".
You think you have a problem?

I'm 6 feet (well, I used to be) and my actual pants inseam is 29" - that is the size I get at the store. You got it EASY, guy!

That's why I have the Lemond BA.
Old 02-13-07, 06:12 PM
Boomer

Doesn't seem to be a lot of leg around here to shave!
Old 02-13-07, 06:15 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I search for 29" and 30" inseam pants and then have my wife hem them up another .5 - 1", or else I'm walking on the back of my pants leg. I'm probably more like 28.25".

Is there a 'guide to bicycles for the short-legged man' web page?
Old 02-13-07, 06:19 PM
Boomer

Don't think of yourself as short-legged, Italian bikes are for short-legged men. Think of yourself as long-torso'd
Old 02-13-07, 06:26 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WWWD?

What would "W" do?

Could that be "Dubya"?

If so, then I would probably nuke you.
What would Webb do?

Old 02-13-07, 06:50 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Webb doesn't possess nukes.

If I were Webb, I would just sit and stare at you until you confessed all of the sins committed during your life. And until you gave me all of your bicycles. You wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 02-13-07, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Digital Gee, the guy who really can't pull the trigger, is saying Buy it? I don't get it! bk
Old 02-13-07, 07:10 PM
Banned.

I search for 29" and 30" inseam pants and then have my wife hem them up another .5 - 1", or else I'm walking on the back of my pants leg. I'm probably more like 28.25".

Is there a 'guide to bicycles for the short-legged man' web page?
Stand-over height on a road bike is the last measurement one should worry about. Not true for Mtn Bikes, though! I have about [....] much clearance on my roadies!

After 8 years on the bike I still sing baritone.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-13-07 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 07:10 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Doesn't seem to be a lot of leg around here to shave!
Old 02-13-07, 07:15 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Digital Gee, the guy who really can't pull the trigger, is saying Buy it? I don't get it! bk
Credit where credit is due, he just bought a bike!
Old 02-13-07, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Tom, you and I have almost the exact same body measurements and I searched for the longest time for a bike that would fit...finally after getting measured at my LBS I found the bike that worked for me...the Serotta Fierte (54 frame size). All other bikes have me hunched over the handlebars to accomodate my short legs...glad you found one that works for you...NOW GO BUY IT!!!
Old 02-13-07, 08:30 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What? Buy one now and miss the opportunity to spend several months researching and test riding and getting advice from my 50+ friends?

A Serotta Fierte, eh???
Old 02-13-07, 08:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From their web page (I made a few edits)

You could own a bike that was mass-produced in a cookie-cutter factory, built from second-rate materials, designed for the way a large company thinks you should be riding. Or you could own a Fierte, thoughtfully designed for the way cyclists really ride, hand-crafted from the best materials available and backed with a lifetime warranty that guarantees you will enjoy a personal relationship with this bike for years to come. The choice is yours; the ability to build a world-class machine is ours.

What have we learned about building stock-sized frames from our 33 year history of custom building? Everything. (Add $200 to price) The Fierte is a vastly superior alternative to mass-produced frames. (Add $200 to price) Thoughtfully designed Serotta Optimum Geometry critically addresses the need for a proper fitting bicycle – it looks like other manufacturers are beginning to agree with us by offering their own copycat models. (Add $300 to price) With 12 sizes and sloping top tube geometry, the Fierte fits a wider range of riders without compromise. (Add $100 to price) Even at this price point, the Fierte adheres to the Serotta philosophy: Ride quality is paramount. (Add $50 to price) Rather than take the quick and easy approach to stock frames, we decided that only the best riding, most durable material would do. (Add $200 to price) You could get that other bike, but why would you?

The Fierte Ti uses only the best materials and is built by hand in the Serotta factory where we build all our models. (Add $400 to price) We start by selecting size-specific Premium Select titanium tubes, and then weld them using the industry’s most exacting standards for TIG welding. (Add $300 to price) New this year, Fierte Ti models are equipped with our CS carbon fiber seat stay for added vibration damping to smooth out the already pleasing ride of titanium. (Add $100 to price) We finish off each Fierte Ti by applying our classy brushed-satin finish and Serotta logo decals. (Add $250 to price)

PS It does look like a very nice bike.
Old 02-13-07, 08:39 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Y
A Lemond BA?

What's that, a Lemond Bare *ss? Or Bad *ss?

Old 02-13-07, 08:43 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You think you have a problem?

I'm 6 feet (well, I used to be) and my actual pants inseam is 29" - that is the size I get at the store. You got it EASY, guy!

I stand 5'8" tall buy trousers with a 30" inseam. Am I normal or slightly long in the legs for my height?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-13-07, 08:56 PM
Banned.

A Lemond BA?

What's that, a Lemond Bare *ss? Or Bad *ss?
Lemond Buenos Aires.

Traditionally, Lemond's have (or had?) a proportionally longer top tube than other bicycles, to help with our long torsos.
Old 02-13-07, 09:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From what I've been able to gather, that's a little less than the average. It definitely isn't long. Many men's pants come in a minimum inseam of 30" (some offer 29" but it is a minority of brands that do). 5'8" is only slightly shorter than average for an American male (I think the average is 5'9"). If you are very close to average height, but wear the smallest inseam a big company like Levi makes for their standard pants, then that's a good clue that your inseam is smaller than normal for your height. Average inseam for a 5'8" male is around 31". But it really does vary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.