Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Time Trial Racing for Seniors-Anyone?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is anyone racing in time trial events? What bike do you ride, any special equipment, how do you train.
Old 02-12-07, 04:31 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
PsycholistBob is THE expert in time trialing so maybe he will chime in.

I participate in the TT's in Charlotte each year. I have used all variations of equipment but all of my time trialing is done on the Speedway or loop course-not open roads. Equipment DOES make a difference, especially on the closed course. My experience has shown that for me a TT frame puts me in the best aero position for time-trialing. I've tried modifying road frames using aerobars and a fast forward seat post but it's just doesn't quite get me in the best position I needed to be in.

My current setup is Cervelo P2K frame, HED3 front wheel and a Renn solid disk rear wheel. If I were doing an open road event I'd probably use a second Hed3 or a Zipp on the rear. I used the same wheels the year before but was considerably slower on my road frame with a TT setup. So my faster times last year were due to either the frame putting me in a more aero postion or I was getting a lot faster as I was getting older....... My TT investment this year will be a helmet made for TT's.

The best training for me is doing good interval workouts and/or just riding with guys a lot faster than me and hanging on their wheels longer than I think I can.......The Charlotte TT's are 10 miles and take 22-25 mins at pretty close to your maximum output. So, it's important to have your cardio working pretty well.

If you're in the Charlotte area one of the dates below we'd love to have you join us. It's open to folks of all abilities to try your hand on the Speedway. It's probably best to preregister on-line to make sure you have a time slot as we have started filling up the time slots.

https://www.carolinatt.org/

Last edited by jppe; 02-12-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 06:07 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried it last year, and enjoyed it. I too agree with jppe on the road bike vs TT frame. Also, I use same bike & wheels as he. I ride either a 12 or 16 mile course, depending on how I feel. I ride per my HR. I ride at 146 - 150. Above 150 I go into oxygen debt. Its a kick, really fun, I'd strongly recommend it.
Old 02-13-07, 01:07 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
My wife and I are doing the following TT series...https://www.scaledup.com/beattheclock...tration07.html. Note that they have different catagories including no aero.
Old 02-13-07, 08:50 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I wasn't racing material at 26, and I am still not racing material at 56.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-14-07, 01:17 AM

Bikes: Giant Yukon MTB ex-EBay planning to upgrade one day if I get the urge.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schwinnguy
Is anyone racing in time trial events? What bike do you ride, any special equipment, how do you train.
It's been quite a while since I last rode a time trial, 55 years ago in fact, but I don't suppose this advice is far out:

1)The best training for time trials is to ride in time trials....often

2) The next best training is to ride with others who are faster than you.

3) The next best training is as Fausto Coppi said......cycling, cycling, cycling.

There is a lot of science available these days about training systems, no doubt all good advice, but the above is I think the basics to toughen up enough to withstand the inevitable pain of pushing yourself to the limit for a set number of miles.

As to the best gear, there's great time improvements that can be achieved with modern gear, limited only perhaps by the amount you can afford to spend. However the biggest factor we old codgers have to contend with is the inevitable effects of aging, and I haven't heard of any gear or training system that can reverse those.

Better perhaps to regard a time trial as a race with only one participant....you vs the clock, then it doesn't matter what gear you have....you will always be racing on a level playing field.

My answer to your first question......"Is anyone racing in time trial events?"....is no, not me, I'm having too much fun re-learning how to jump on a bike and pushing myself at just the right level of effort that is all pleasure and no pain.....well, maybe just a little bit of pain for old times sake.

Last edited by brigadon; 02-14-07 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason I was asking is that I now participate in the local and state Senior Olympics, and the races are time trials. I am very competitive in my age group for the short distances on a road bike with aerobars(1/4, and 1 mile), but it seems like it starts to become equipment dependent for the 5K, and 10K distance. The guys winning these races are riding time trial bikes. I am toying with the idea of buying a time trial bike, but before spending the money I was looking for some input.
Old 02-14-07, 02:00 PM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
During warm weather local roadies get together and run a 19-mile course every Saturday morning with a pre-ride meeting at the Jacksonville State University kiosk on the Chief Ladiga trail at 8:00 AM. This is open to all and is not a completive event, just a nice event where you have someone spacing each rider and keeping up with their time. I enjoy doing that run on my Bridgestone Grand Velo even if my times put me starting my run way down the list. They try to start the fastest riders first and work down to the slowest riders so no one needs to pass another rider on the course. It's a lot of fun even for us old guys!
Old 02-14-07, 02:02 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I did one of those once. The timekeeper used this:

I did 64km in only two pages!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-14-07, 02:57 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
I did one of those once. The timekeeper used this:

I did 64km in only two pages!
Old 02-14-07, 04:01 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Here's a picture of what I'm riding. As I mentioned above my experience is equipment can help. There is no substitute for a strong engine but all things being equal I'd give a nod to the person who has the more aero equipment. I picked up this bike (without these wheels) used at a very good price.

I do plan to change the saddle this year to a saddle in my ever growing collection that is more friendly to Mr Happy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cervelo TT Bike for BF.jpg (44.2 KB, 8 views)