Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-07, 01:17 PM   #1
MichiganMike

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Summer Dreams

I am sitting here in my office watching them drop off large bundles of blocks of ice up and down the street for the ice carving thing they are having this weekend. No worry about it melting.

The only thing that keeps me going at this time of year is starting to think about summer, and the bike trip I have planned. I had originally thought about riding to Washington DC. The Pittsburgh to DC part would be nice because it's nearly all path. Getting to Pittsburgh just wasn't looking appealing because of the roads.

So, I am leaning towards renting a car and driving with my wife to Minneapolis-St. Paul. Do a day or two at the Mall of America, turn in the car, get her on a plane back to South Bend (nearest airport), and meander along the Mississippi River to La Crosse then pick up as many trails and paths as I can and finally either take the ferry across the lake from Milwaukee to Muskegon then back home, or go around the lake through Chicago, Indiana, then back to paradise. It looks like I could ride several trails/paths in the bottom half of Wisconsin as far up as Fond du Lac and really have a ball. The mileage would be about the same as riding to DC, but I think far more scenic. My touring bike has 700X35 cc tires so that shouldn't be a problem. Half the fun is in the planning, and planning is all I can do right now.

I am getting to where I really hate winter.
MichiganMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 02:10 PM   #2
tk4790

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport
you hate winter too? I can't stand it and i've lived in Texas and Florida for the past 17 years. I don't know how you guys stand months and months of cold.
tk4790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 02:12 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike

So what makes you any different to the rest of us?

Have to admit that winter has not been too bad. Except for the rain and the wind and the frost.

I used to plan my summer rides but don't bother now. They will all start someplace and finish at another. Only do one day trips now so not a problem but the planning still is. My holiday is still in the planning stage- One day will be climbing Ventoux- or at least the morning will, but still have to reckon on about 6 days riding in the area.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 02:22 PM   #4
DaveTaylor

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
Good for you MichiganMike, keep planning, before you know it, winter will be over and you will be doing it.

I am going to Italy for two weeks in May . Not only do I day dream about it endlessly, I am also on the rollers everyday trying to get in shape for those "hills" in Umbria. Pushing my bike uphill is one aspect of my dreams I am trying to eliminate.
DaveTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 05:25 PM   #5
Biketime
Biketime

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
During this past 4 weeks of deep freeze in SW Ohio, I keep visualizing myself stopping for a break in early July. It's high summer, about 86 with a decent touch of humidy, got a good sweat going as I take a swig from the water bottle looking up towards the sun. Ahhhhh.

Then again, if I don't get on the bike OUTDOORS soon, I'm gonna kill somebody!! Arrrrghhhh!
Biketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 09:04 PM   #6
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is getting a bit old. On my to do list for tomorrow. Get out the high power 22 pelet rifle and shoot down the giant ice mass that is forming on my gutter. Have done it before. Kind of fun.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 12:28 AM   #7
brigadon

Bikes: Giant Yukon MTB ex-EBay planning to upgrade one day if I get the urge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike

REPORT FROM DOWNUNDER

Just a word of reassurance from Upsidedownland. I can definitely state that the sun has departed for northern climes and is heading up your way and will dock in approximately 6 weeks, right on schedule.

Temperatures here are still a little high for my taste (being an expatriate from Aberdeen, Scotland) but the days are shortening noticeably and the bite has all but gone from the midday sun.

Still plenty of good cycling conditions here for the next 3 months or so for anyone who desperately needs an immediate fix and can afford the time and money to come down.
brigadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 05:27 AM   #8
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Hang in there. February is almost over. Summer is coming. There's nothing anyone can do to stop it.