Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Much BF is too Much ??

No formal poll or anything. NOS got me thinking. What do people think about the time they spend here at BF? How much per day? How many times a day or week do you stop by and check the posts? Does BF interfere with other activities and take up "valuable" time. How many poster/lurkers visit while at work? Do wives/husbands walk past you at the pc and roll their eyes? Do you spend time here to avoid doing more distasteful tasks like lawnmowing & bill paying? Does it bother you-- the amout of time you spend at BF? And, of course, who finds their total cycling experience seriously enhanced by BF?

I check in once a day and often more. I came here daily at work until our filter was adjusted. I sometimes escape other tasks by hanging out here. I would probably be shocked if I got a look at total minutes spent here per week.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it for a mind clearing break, too. Now, if I check in, and there's only one or two posts, I know I've been there too often.

Like right now.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

My wife gets bent out of shape when she sees me on BF again. Little does she know that it's much safer than ebay, eyebike, bikeman, nashbar, performancebike or Craigslist. I could spend the time with her but I already have my shortcommings memorized and don't need another list of to-do items.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

My wife gets bent out of shape when she sees me on BF again. Little does she know that it's much safer than ebay, eyebike, bikeman, nashbar, performancebike or Craigslist. I could spend the time with her but I already have my shortcommings memorized and don't need another list of to-do items.
    We assume that she never checks BF..........
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has become a part of the daily routine.

But what is of more value than spending some quality time with your cycling friends?????

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I log on at night when everything else is done or I'm just too tired to perform other tasks. I rarely log on at work because our Internet time is monitored.
    I like to relax and read the posts and try to respond with my off-beat humor. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I come here often just to read about everyone else's problems. It helps to know I'm not alone.

...So how do I interpret this: My college freshman son's AIM away message says, "I don't like cocaine, I just like the way it smells."
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg
    ...So how do I interpret this: My college freshman son's AIM away message says, "I don't like cocaine, I just like the way it smells."
    Wow, I don't know what to say. My son is a college freshman as well. I know I would be concerned. Sounds like a visit or at least a phone call may be in order. Hope it turns out OK.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    Wow, I don't know what to say. My son is a college freshman as well. I know I would be concerned. Sounds like a visit or at least a phone call may be in order. Hope it turns out OK.
    While a parent should never be complacent or hide their head, we also need to remember there's a certain outrageous "style" that goes with being away from home at that age. Doesn't necessarily mean anything is up, but for sure they're conforming to the current MySpace counterculture. I sometimes wonder if I can catch a disease when my 20 & 21 year old show me around MySpace.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I think I am on here too often,, in fact I was thinking the other day of starting a thread similar to this asking if I was adicted ttoooo much... As Nermal said, when I check and there are few or no new posts then I know I am wasteing time. Time I should be doing what I'm supposed to be doin...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refuse to feel guilty about spending time on BF. I like it. I learn from it. It entertains me. Quite a bargain I'd say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I refuse to feel guilty about spending time on BF. I like it. I learn from it. It entertains me. Quite a bargain I'd say.
    Right on, brother. Well said.

I'm not gonna start worrying until 50+ers start appearing in my dreams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel guilty about the time I don't spend on BF 50 Plus...

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I log on at least once a day, usually after dinner. Usually for just a few minutes. I rarely look at anything other than the 50+ group. I'm usually retired, so I have plenty of time. Mrs. Slim doesn't care. She's in her sewing room, making art.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I spend waaaaay too much time here. My former favorite forum was abandoned on 1-1-07, and my hubby introduced me to BF. So I check into the Northern CA because that's where I live, southern CA (because we rode the Tour de Palm Springs & will ride Solvang), the 50+ because I am, the tandem board because I'm a stoker on one. I can't even begin to think about visiting any other forums. I could spend all day here...but since the weather gods have gazed favorably upon us, I have an excellent excuse to leave the board & hit the road.

Bottom line: I try to exercise restraint here, and visit once a day, twice if it's raining.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visit every night after work but at this time of the year when I cannot get out in the garden and its too cold in the shed- I will be on the computer for extended periods at night in any. Occasionally working, but mainly gaming or sorting researching parts for mine and friends bikes. I will keep coming back to BF for most of the evening.

50+ is the forum for me but look at mountain and road biking. visit Tandem and the general discussion and occasionally look for something special like Lighting.

Yes I spend too much time on 50+ but at this time of year- I do not have a great deal more to do. So what am I doing here at 8am on a saturday morning when I have the grass to cut and the shed to tidy up- Just waiting for the weather get friendlier so in the meantime I might as well do something I enjoy.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BF can be a bit of a drug. Especially when I'm supposed to be working on my taxes and instead spend 45 minutes reading about the relative merits of integrated head sets.

On the other hand, it's the best online community I've ever encountered. I've learned a ton. Met some great people (a couple I actually ended up riding with). Laughed a lot. Had posts personally answered by such luminaries as Sheldon Brown and Alex Moulton. Felt good when I gave some gear away via the "Pay-It-Foward" forum.

And to top it off, when I was searching for a classic Raleigh three-speed, someone in the Classic & Vintage group gave me one. When I tried to pay him or offer some in-kind service, he said. "I know you'll take good care of it and that you'll give it to someone when you're done with it."
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What , we have the day off. It's raining outside. My wife watches too much tv too. Stuff, i have no interest in. If can't ride, like thinking about riding.
    Other than BF , I get much of my news from journals on the net. I will get together with my wife at lunch; if only she would not watch tv during lunch. Due to the rain, could get the frickin trainer out. Nah, it will be nice weather tomorrow. Besides, when I get stinkin on the trainer, my wife makes me take it all out on the cold, damp porch. no thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, way too much!

Sometimes I drop off for a bit, but I come back.

I figure it is one of life's better addictions, given all the many choices of addictions currently available. I don't smoke. don't drink (alcohol, that is), don't do drugs, etc. So BFN is it, besides exercising.

And, I really enjoy the excellent writing styles. Big Paulie, CrossChain, Blackberry (Jet Travis), Mojo Slim DG and so many others. It puts the other forums to shame in terms of depth, humor and life experience.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-17-07 at 07:52 AM.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend most of my forum time just reading. Whether it is too much time or not has never been a consideration since I have learned so much from everyones' experiences. I am doubly lucky, I guess, in that my wife's favorite forums are gardening and cooking. That results in some wonders being wrought in the kitchen and she doesn't begrudge me my forum time. She does humor me by riding with me periodically and I humor her by eating what she cooks. And yes it does make it hard to lose those pounds, but we must make sacrifices for harmony.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find BF time replaces former newspaper time. My new habit is to launch the browser to the news oriented home page (yahoo, msn, att.net, whatever), glance at the headlines, then go straight to the favorites entry for BF. And when I get the urge for some new parts to play with, I go to ebay.

But my new plan is to get a 3G cellular card for my laptop and maybe use my train ride down and back for BF.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hang out on BF exactly the right amount of time. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Were it not for BF and particularly 50+ I wouldn't have continued to ride when I picked it up again back way back in '05. The encouragement, knowledge, tips, and fun in this forum has been wonderful and given me a sense of community that you just can't get riding solo!

Riding is great, and sharing the ride or getting answers to a problem with a bike or advice on things like which handlebars, what tires, etc. is good stuff. I'd rather spend too much time on the 'puter and the 'net then watching reruns of Law and Order. And my imaginary wife doesn't seem to mind, so, it's all good...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    . And my imaginary wife doesn't seem to mind, so, it's all good...
    Has she ever required the use of your patch kit? Don't ask me why I'm asking.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Has she ever required the use of your patch kit? Don't ask me why I'm asking.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .DG, Jet.....Hush yourselves! Here I ask a serious, soul searching question and somebody is sure to silly it up. We're all just a bunch of old codgers sitting around the wood stove in the back of the LBS while reverting to adolescence.

PS to DG....my imaginary wife can beat up yours. And she's self-sealing, too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast