Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring on Spring Time!!

Today was one of those days you wished those spring time days would get here really soon. I think the temps barely climbed out of the 30's under overcast skies but the worst part was the wind......oh my. It was probably a steady 10-15 with gusts to 20. We had an organized ride nearby that surprisingly had a huge turnout-even for temps in the 20's for the start.

I wound up with close to 80 miles and with the cooler temps and constant wind I feel more beat up than I have from a ride in a long time. I know some of you have to deal with this type of weather-and some even much worse- quite regularly and I admire you for getting out regularly in this stuff. The colder temps don't bother me but the wind.........

I will admit that it was one heck of a lot of fun when we'd change directions and have some tailwind. We'd go from 16 mph to 26-27 mph with even less effort. Unfortunately we didn't have as much tailwiind today as we would have liked!!

I'm off to the jacuzzi!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes, yes, and ...... yes!! I've had a particularly nasty cold for the past week-- as have most of my friends. No more Valley fogs, my daffodils are up, my heating bill may go down, it's gorgeous out today....some spring rains are permissable and welcome. The bikes are tuned, the legs aren't. It must be spring!
    Last edited by CrossChain; 02-17-07 at 07:42 PM.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 72 degrees here today.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the words of Eric Cartman - You guys s**k. 18f and another 2-3 inchs of the white stuff by tomorrow.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Officially Spring does not come till later but I will be out as soon as the ice disappears, streets are dry and the temp is above 40,,,give or take. can't wait ,,but i have to.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daylight savings time starts March 11. Tick...tick....tick....
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I think the temps barely climbed out of the 30's under overcast skies but the worst part was the wind......oh my. It was probably a steady 10-15 with gusts to 20.
    We just completed a 14-day period where our average high was 11, average low was -4, and the average wind chill for the entire period was -8, across all hours day & night.

Upper 30s sounds warm and toasty.

In fact, it got up to 27 here today and it felt wonderful.

Prediction for Monday is 39, I can hardly wait.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    We just completed a 14-day period where our average high was 11, average low was -4, and the average wind chill for the entire period was -8, across all hours day & night.

Upper 30s sounds warm and toasty.

In fact, it got up to 27 here today and it felt wonderful.

Prediction for Monday is 39, I can hardly wait.
    Wow, I didn't realize that southern Wisconsin was that much warmer than here. I think our average high was about 7 and average low about -10. Our forecast high for Monday is 32. I probably won't even have to wear a coat.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had one spring day here today in the Sierra Nevadas of Northern California (rain/snow predicted for tomorrow). Four of us had a lovely 30 miler in 65 degree weather. A little climbing and lots of conversation. I rode in shorts for the first time in 2007! Here we are (That's me in the yellow) relaxing at the Country Store with the Re-Chargers of Champions: Coke/Pepsi, Potato Chips and Jelly Belly Sport Beans. Does it get any better?
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wind was brutal here for my 25 mile ride yesterday, and my 40 mile ride today. I've never seen bikes have to lean that much to go straight. But, at least I rode.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman
    Wow, I didn't realize that southern Wisconsin was that much warmer than here. I think our average high was about 7 and average low about -10. Our forecast high for Monday is 32. I probably won't even have to wear a coat.
    You got one number right. Tomah was slightly warmer on your highs but definitely colder than us on lows. 10 degrees colder on several days.

Over the same 14 day period where we were +11 / -4, your average was +14 / -10. Averaging it out, we were about 2 degrees warmer.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    Does it get any better?
    Not often, Mojo, not very often does it get better than that.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had Spring for most of the winter except for the wind. True we have had a few cold days and several wet ones but in general- we haven't had a winter for about 4 years.- Mind you the summers have not been that good either.

As an aside- Every month since Novemebr has has had a record average temperature for the month. January had an average 6 degrees C increase over the average--- In spite of a few cold days and the sprinkling of snow that crippled the road network.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was ready for spring about September 21 of last year.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We finally got a hear wave up here! Went above zero, even melted for an hour or so. Maybe be able to ride on the road next week instead of the trainer.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High here today (Sunday 2/18) is 21F.

We're off to Mazatlan for a week starting next Saturday. Hopefully that'll carry me over till Spring weather (not always in synch with the calendar) finally gets here.

With a bit of luck we'll start having some fairly decent days in April. But then, April snowstorms are not unheard of either.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE, Not much better here near south Raleigh. Lots of wind, temps shot up to 44F for about 30 minutes then down again. I saw a few riders out there but it was a lousy day off work. I'm hoping for a better day today, Sunday, but the weatherman says, same wind but warmer by 1 whole degree.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It appears Monday, here in SE PA will be last day of winter. High predicted to be 28 degrees. But on Tuesday the temps rise into 40s, and in the 10 day forecast there are days at 50 and one at 60 degrees. Haven't been on the bike since Jan 24th, I'm itching to get out. Will probably have to start out with short 15 mile ride, suspect I loss some muscle tone.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though it was 29 this morning I felt I needed to get out and ride. Never felt cold, but the wind is high today. One long downhill I usually avg. between 28 - 30 mph, today I couldn't get it faster than 17mph. The wind was really too much. That said however I enjoyed being out in beautiful sunshine taking deep breaths of terrific clean winter air and enjoying the ride!!

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106
    In the words of Eric Cartman - You guys s**k. 18f and another 2-3 inchs of the white stuff by tomorrow.
    I'm about ready to kick Al Gore's @$$ if he doesn't deliver some of that global warming he's been promising us. Winter sucks!
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday February 17, sunny, high 64 degrees, Shifty rides 52 miles in the beauty of Lane County Oregon.

It is still winter here, forecast is for rain in the valley, and snow in the mountains for the next 5 days. You've got to get it while you can! Spring is coming, the daffodils are 6 inches high and showing buds, the wild plum trees in the woods are blooming and I was struck with the sweet smell of daphne this week.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride today and temperature around 40F not too bad and absolutely no wind. Went to the coast over the hills and Got a bit warm going up the hills. As soon as we got South side, and sea side, of the hills- It started to get cold. Absolutely no wind but we had a Riding wind Chill that made it cold. Temp still about 40 but it was a damp air. Had a coffee and apple pie sitting outside and not too bad. As soon as we got moving- the Wind chill hit us a gain.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't stand it any more, so I went to the trails to ride, so it's cold and windy out. The lousy trails were all closed. I have no idea why. So after riding around for an hour I pulled out an old Ross roadie I'm selling soon and went for a short road ride. Now my nose hurts.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAsFat
    Winter sucks!
    +1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the average temperatures for the Madison, Wisconsin area.

The dates where the average temperatures are highs of 55+ and lows of 30+ are from April 8th to October 30th, which is 6 months and 3 weeks. I find 55 to be great for biking, but as that high occurs around 2PM, I wouldn't have a lot of opportunity to be out then.

So then I looked at when our low temps are 40 or above. That date range is from May 3rd to October 5th, or 5 months out of the year.

Or when lows are 50 or above, for those who want to ride in the morning and don't like cooler temps, it is only from June 1st to September 8th. 3 months and 1 week. We call this "mosquito season."

I'm just going to have to move south at some point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast