Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-Bay Buying............

Does anyone have any experience buying from what is probably a business using E-Bay?

There is a seller in Windsor, Ontario, who has a bunch of bikes for sale and I might be interested in one of them.

Never having bought anything on E-Bay I could use any tips anyone has to offer....in the event I find what I'm after.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the seller has a long and highly positive track record according to his/her eBay ratings, your risk is minimal. If you want to spend serious money on something, consider having the shipment insured.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I agree. If it's a store that cares about its reputation, then their eBay rating is very important to their being able to get good prices on their products.

I purchased a used bike from a bike shop off of eBay. They were close enough (70 miles) for me to drive over and pick it up. I thought that was a very good buying scenario. They needed to protect their rep as both an ebay and a local seller. And the bike was in very good shape.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use paypal to pay for the bike. While some have complained about paypal, they do offer some protection if the seller does not deliver as promised.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only way to get some input is to post a link to one of the sellers auctions & someone will tell you if it looks legit. Bought much stuff on scambay with both good and bad results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oilman,

Thanks. Here is the link....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jamis-Coda-Sport...QQcmdZViewItem

Since the seller rating is good, my main concern is there being some hidden costs or something I just might not think of, never having bought off E-Bay before.

Thanks for all the help guys.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go to the seller's ratings and click on each of his last sales which are still in the system, you'll find that everyone got their gear and no one was complaining about it. Most of the sales were clothing. There were three positive feedbacks from people who bought bikes from him. A few people complained that the shipping was slow, others said it was fast.

Nothing there that set off any alarms to me. The only formal complaint in the last 6 months was because something was shipped late, but even that one seems to have been shipped within 10 days.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    If you go to the seller's ratings and click on each of his last sales which are still in the system, you'll find that everyone got their gear and no one was complaining about it. Most of the sales were clothing. There were three positive feedbacks from people who bought bikes from him. A few people complained that the shipping was slow, others said it was fast.

Nothing there that set off any alarms to me. The only formal complaint in the last 6 months was because something was shipped late, but even that one seems to have been shipped within 10 days.
    +1, the only negative feedback was from a real loser whose rating is -1. (I've never seen a minus one before.) So I would not count that one negative feedback.
    PS, be careful about the cost of shipping unless you're in Canada, it's not stated.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. The shipping looks like it would be $60, so that isn't too bad. And it is a long way from
    Windsor, Canada to South Carolina.

Thanks again.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only potential "hidden cost" I would worry about in this case are:

1) getting involved in a bidding war... getting caught up in the emotion.

2) possible customs fees imposed by the government on the shipment from Canada.

Otherwise, I would say no problems or hidden costs. This does look like a reputable seller.

Get a free PayPal account, and everything should work out fine.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a rather unique experience on EBay. I broke two rules that I always(?) follow on EBay; I bought from a seller with 0 feedback and I bought from a seller who would not accept Paypal (both errors were simply from not reading the auction listing carefully enough)!

I paid for the auction with a postal money order ( I was nervous, but didn't want to get negative feedback for non-payment). Two days after I sent the payment, I got a message from EBay that the auction was cancelled because the seller had apparently hijacked someone elses EBay ID. I figured my $50 was long gone since there is no way to stop payment on the money order (I checked). Sure enough, all record of the transaction had disappeared from EBay.

Amazingly, my purchase showed up in my mailbox last Thursday and I am very pleased with it. Go figure!!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

Rans Fusion
    Catrike Road
    Bacchetta Cafe'
    Trek 7200 (For Sale)

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin
    The only potential "hidden cost" I would worry about in this case are:

1) getting involved in a bidding war... getting caught up in the emotion.

Get a free PayPal account, and everything should work out fine.
    These are both good points to remember. I routinely see people pay more for bike components on ebay that they can buy from one of many very good online sites for less money.

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that that the biggest problem would be the shipping from Canada.

East Hill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    Thanks guys. The shipping looks like it would be $60, so that isn't too bad. And it is a long way from
    Windsor, Canada to South Carolina.

Thanks again.
    This is most important. I have been burned by undisclosed shipping several times from Canada. Get a firm shipping cost from the seller before you pull the trigger.

I think they are funding their free health care system with outrages postage fees.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! You should be so lucky as to have a "free" health care system .

More important than postal rates is to determine with the seller how the bike will be shipped. In some cases UPS or other parcel service will be better than the post office. Remember, that Windsor is directly across the river from Detroit, so it would be mostly USPS handling the parcel. You should check all the various rates and services online before contacting the seller. In most cases the seller will ship by whichever method you want. Maybe he would even drive across the river and ship it from Detroit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTaylor
    Ha! You should be so lucky as to have a "free" health care system .

More important than postal rates is to determine with the seller how the bike will be shipped. In some cases UPS or other parcel service will be better than the post office. Remember, that Windsor is directly across the river from Detroit, so it would be mostly USPS handling the parcel. You should check all the various rates and services online before contacting the seller. In most cases the seller will ship by whichever method you want. Maybe he would even drive across the river and ship it from Detroit.
    Sorry about the swipe at your health care system. All I wanted the OP to do was get a FIRM shipping cost on the item before buying. This holds true for any ebay item with unstated shipping costs. Some sellers not getting their expected bid price will pad shipping to make up for the "loss".

The other thing about hidden costs - OP do you have the(however minor) wrench skills to set the bike up or are you going to have to pay an LBS? The thing about buying this way is you have to get to the total bottom line cost to know if you are getting a deal.

Would have posted this sooner but my computer at home has the flu.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Oilman! No apology required

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping.........

Thanks folks. The site quotes $60 as the shipping, so I assume there would not be any additional costs, but I would check with the seller before I made any decisions.

Also, while I would like a commuter, I'm not the type to get into a bidding war. The bikes are 2006 models
    and are probably well priced, but even at these prices it is a stretch for me, especially since I am just looking for a commuter since I don't want to ride my road bike to work.

As for wrenching, I'm sure I could assemble the bike but would probably tale it to a shop for a tune-up, which adds to the price. Meaning it might not be a great deal after all. Maybe a good deal, just not a
    great deal.

Thanks again.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of eBay, when I was reviewing my user profile, I noticed that in 8 days, I will have been a registered member of eBay for 11 years.

How time flies.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have bought many many parts and frames on Ebay over the last few years. These are some of the rules I work by.
    Paypal only!!!!! I have a credit card that is linked to my paypal account and is used only for that purpose, nothing else. I monitor that account closely.
    I will not buy if shipping is not stated up front. It may be an accident but usually it is done on purpose to provied a pad.
    Shop for things that you want and have done the research on. Know what the part is being sold for elsewhere (add shipping to comparative pricing). If you find something new and interesting on EBAY take the time to research it in all your other locations.
    Determine what you would be willing to pay for that item. Do not bid higher, another one will be along in a while, be patient.
    If your top price is overbid, be wary of 2nd chance offers. It is possible that someone has tried to drive your bidding up by "shadow bidding"
    Look at the seller, try to determine who or what they are. Are they private selling own used equipment, are they a store front or a batch reseller with a long history. One of the bigest sources of bike parts on EBAY are folks who buy a batch of bikes at a good price and part them out as piece sales. If you know what the part is and don't need instructions, boxes and possibly warranty paperwork this can be a real bargin.

Patience is most important. The last frame I bought on EBAY involved 6 months and bids on about 17 frames before I finally got what I wanted at a price I wanted to pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the good advice. If I choose not to bid on one of the bikes that prompted my original question, at least I feel I
    am better equipped for any future experience.

Thanks again.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Yea, but I didn't care for the attitude in his response. But still, I'd buy from him if the item was right without any fears of getting shafted.

Florida rider
    My Bikes
    06 Lemond Tourmalet, 05 Trek 4300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to add, is the insurance for your bike. I bought a new bike from a shop in Washington and it arrived damaged by Fed-ex. I had paid for the insurance, but when I tried to file the claim, Fed-ex only wanted to talk to the shipper. Fed-ex gave me a terrible run around and passed me from person to person before finally sending me a check for the damage. They took my bike to look at the damage and when they were finished they shipped it back to the shop where I bought it. The shop was great and I finally got my bike back and when my check did come from Fed-ex they paid me a little more than I originally asked for. After all was said and done, I ended up with a very nice bike with repairable scratches on the rear drop out. Final savings over same new bike at LBS $400.00 Worth it? heck yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    I have bought many many parts and frames on Ebay over the last few years. These are some of the rules I work by.
    Paypal only!!!!! I have a credit card that is linked to my paypal account and is used only for that purpose, nothing else. I monitor that account closely.
    I will not buy if shipping is not stated up front. It may be an accident but usually it is done on purpose to provied a pad.
    Shop for things that you want and have done the research on. Know what the part is being sold for elsewhere (add shipping to comparative pricing). If you find something new and interesting on EBAY take the time to research it in all your other locations.
    Determine what you would be willing to pay for that item. Do not bid higher, another one will be along in a while, be patient.
    If your top price is overbid, be wary of 2nd chance offers. It is possible that someone has tried to drive your bidding up by "shadow bidding"
    Look at the seller, try to determine who or what they are. Are they private selling own used equipment, are they a store front or a batch reseller with a long history. One of the bigest sources of bike parts on EBAY are folks who buy a batch of bikes at a good price and part them out as piece sales. If you know what the part is and don't need instructions, boxes and possibly warranty paperwork this can be a real bargin.

Patience is most important. The last frame I bought on EBAY involved 6 months and bids on about 17 frames before I finally got what I wanted at a price I wanted to pay.

I gotta ask: how did you find 17 frames in the correct size, materials, and style to bid on over 6 months?
    Now if you need a bike(as in you have no bike) 6 months is alot of riding time to miss.

Your advice on being patient is correct. Unless the thing is a real oddball you will get another chance. Wanted to try Samson pedals and one set came up last month. Snagged them with no opposing bids. That is the only pair of them I have seen in a year or so.

Scam second chance offeres almost always arrive outside of ebays system. Via your email.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of MBT hardtale frames available during the winter months as this seems to be the best time for the Parts peddlers to buy left over stock and break it down. Having a list of what you would be interested in and checking every 3/4 days helps. Very often a sold frame will be replaced by an identical one the next day. A new trend has appeared this year though. Some of the biggest parts folks appear to be in Hong Kong where they have better access to factory overruns at the end of the season. I am still a little nervous about shipping something like a frame that far.

In my case, the next frame is not the one I am riding at the moment.

Trust nothing, that does not appear on your EBAY message page. In fact just routinely forward anything that is in your email pertaining to EBAY but not replicated in your EBAY message folder to their security division. There are a lot of phishing scams out there that look just like EBAP or PAYPAL pages complete with ads and copyright data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast