Thread: Dream ride?

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dream ride?

Cabin fever hit hard today. Temps in the mid 40s, so I layered up and headed out for a wonderful 36-mile ride and life was good again. As I was pedaling away, I started thinking about my dream ride . . . I know this has been asked before, but since many of us are stuck wishing for better weather to ride in, it doesn't hurt to dream a little!

My dream ride is to throw a sleeping bag on the rack, make sure the credit card is handy, and head north to Alaska. I'm five years from even dreaming of retirement, so i have plenty of time to get ready, and I've already worked out a couple of routes from western Colorado to Anchorage . . . haven't figured out a return route -- maybe hop the ferry and enjoy the inside passage and then follow the coast back home.

How about it . . . what would your next dream ride be?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idaho Centennial Trail - - not the paved one that is an extention of Washington's. The REAL ID Centennial Trail: starts near the Canadian border and goes along the spine between MT and ID south to the Nevada border. Skirts the Frank Church Wilderness and still has a few hike-a-bikes, portions are so remote and nearly untracked. Someday my friend Dan and I are going to do it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin
    How about it . . . what would your next dream ride be?
    How about the Mississippi River Trail From the headwaters to the Gulf. Can you say 3,000 miles downhill? From Minnesota to Louisiana.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dream ride would be to fly to Ireland and tour the countryside for a few weeks.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked out the Idaho and Mississippi trails online . . . both would be fun. Even toying with the idea of mixing the Idaho trail with my ride to Alaska from Colorado . . . a possibility but I grew up in Montana and would want to revisit some of my old haunts around Libby and Glacier National Park. Although I've always wanted to go back to Craters of the Moon in Idaho (another memorable outing as a kid).

And who wouldn't want to see Ireland by bike!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to think about this one. What about a ride that includes all your favorite sections from many rides? A favorite swoopy turn, a sprinter's hill from one place, a nice climb from another, that 6 mile down hill out east?
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mentioned this one in Stapfam's 'type of rider' thread, but for me a realistic and desirable possibility is the Quebec/New Brunswick 'Route Verde.' Essentially, this can begin in Montreal; down the St Lawrence to/through Quebec City (if you've never been there, go!), then on (and on) into the Gaspe peninsula; from there, I could stay on the coast through New Brunswick (the Mirimachi [Acadian] region) on to Moncton and hit the Fundy Trail network (part of the slowly developing Trans-Canada trail), winding up at our summer place in St Martin's (a small coastal village just east of St John N.B.). Maybe someday, if I'm fit enough, and have several weeks and the funding to do it! Some of the most beautiful scenery around, and (especially in Quebec) a great deal of the trip can be done on dedicated bikeways which have been/are being constructed, paralleling main routes and, where possible, running beside rivers. I've been along some short sections from time to time -- this route is astonishing!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    I'm going to think about this one. What about a ride that includes all your favorite sections from many rides? A favorite swoopy turn, a sprinter's hill from one place, a nice climb from another, that 6 mile down hill out east?
    Dream on . . . A dream ride can be anything -- from a coast down the driveway to an epic trek around the world. I'm just trying to get past my cabin fever by thinking about better riding days ahead.
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to ride Scotland. My alternate would be to ride from here to my family in Washington. Maybe we could ride together CP
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ride down Malibu Beach, on a funky looking cruiser and with all of the women rubbing my shaven legs.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two hours on flat roads in the middle of the Giro gruppo with Bob Roll yelling "piano, piano." Kinda obscure if you don't know Roll or his commentary on the Giro.

Senior Cyclist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The state of Virginia runs completely out of gasoline, and the only way to travel is by bicycle. I tool west on I-66 from Washington, D.C., and glide down U.S. 15, the two lane road passing through farmland and forests east of the Blue Ridge mountains. Gas stations stay open for refreshments and air pumps for bicyclists. I reach South Boston, Va., where my wife runs a bed & breakfast (she really does in the summer.) Unfortunately, business is down because of the gasoline crunch, but visitors travel by bicycle to her farm, with its rolling roads and no traffic.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would load the camping equipment in the bike trailer and head off for the Natchez Trace for a week. My only concern would be poison ivy. Just about everything I've read about this ride mentions "poison ivy".

Does anyone know first-hand how bad the poison ivy is on this road?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1984 I took a six month bike tour across Europe, beginning in Greece and ending in Ireland. I'd love to retrace my route. Alternately, a bike ride through the Mediteranean lands of Greece, Italy, Southern France and Spain over a spring and summer would be nice. And I love the British Isles for cycling. Of course, New Zealand and Asia have always drawn me, and I've never been there. Heck, I just want to go everywhere.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be experiencing my dream this summer - we're off to Italy for a wedding. I'll be riding in the Lake Cumo area - a big climb to the Madonna del Ghisallo is on tap - can't wait, though I'm glad it's a few months off so I can try to get into better shape.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I dream of an epic trek across Canada and Alaska years down the road, I realize my dream ride actually will occur this summer. My 22-year-old son wants us to ride our first century ride together!

He works in Wyoming (Casper), so we are beginning to plot when and where. I'd like to do it in Wyoming, maybe in the Devil's Tower area . . . I'd welcome any ideas for possible routes.
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I dream of an epic trek across Canada and Alaska years down the road, I realize my dream ride actually will occur this summer. My 22-year-old son wants us to ride our first century ride together!

He works in Wyoming (Casper), so we are beginning to plot when and where. I'd like to do it in Wyoming, maybe in the Devil's Tower area . . . I'd welcome any ideas for possible routes.
    One piece of advice. Stay out of that area when the Stugis motorcycle rally is on. Those guys ride in huge packs over all the roads (many of which up there are pretty narrow) as far west as Devil's Tower. You should also prepare for the heat (probably just as hot as Delta). Stopped in Moorcroft a while back. Asked the waiter in the diner what he did in the summer and he said, "There is nothin to do around here." Pretty country though. And did I mention the wind?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks RockyMtnMerlin . . . I've been through Sturgis during the rally (and Mt. Rushmore) and it is a crazy place. We're talking about doing our ride in Sept.

We've talked about the wind. I've suggested we pick an area, wet our thumbs and stick them into the air, and then ride 100 miles in whatever direction the wind is blowing . . . find someplace to enjoy a beer (or pie) and call my wife to come pick us up!
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    A ride down Malibu Beach, on a funky looking cruiser and with all of the women rubbing my shaven legs.
    Malibu Beach, 2/19/07...
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-04-07 at 09:55 AM.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see I must be more careful with my wishes, or else Satan will take advantage of me and put me on Malibu Beach on a cold night.

My present dream ride is just an extension of my perfect day thread of a couple weeks ago. A nice hard-packed rail trail, winding through pretty countryside, small towns, and a couple of scenic overviews. Temps would be around 60, mostly cloudy with little to no wind. Spend about 3 days, picking how long I wanted to stay out each day. At present there would be no hills in my ride.

And at each stop there would be delicious pies.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks RockyMtnMerlin . . . I've been through Sturgis during the rally (and Mt. Rushmore) and it is a crazy place. We're talking about doing our ride in Sept.

We've talked about the wind. I've suggested we pick an area, wet our thumbs and stick them into the air, and then ride 100 miles in whatever direction the wind is blowing . . . find someplace to enjoy a beer (or pie) and call my wife to come pick us up!
    Now that is the way to choose your route!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dream ride is much more modest. I'd like to ride the lake/wine region in upper New York State for a week, drop down and ride a week in the Pennsylvania Dutch region, shoot west and ride a week in the Napa & Sonoma regions in California, and end with a week in the Chesapeake Bay area.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan
    My dream ride is much more modest. I'd like to ride the lake/wine region in upper New York State for a week, drop down and ride a week in the Pennsylvania Dutch region, shoot west and ride a week in the Napa & Sonoma regions in California, and end with a week in the Chesapeake Bay area.
    Here's a cool way to make part of that dream come true: http://www.bontonroulet.com/
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seven to ten days riding the roads of Tuscany, with my wife.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew! I'm going to have to adjust my dream rides . . . you folks have expanded my horizons with more places to go!

My wife looked over my shoulder and pointed out her dream ride is a fall color ride through Vermont and New Hampshire . . . then told me to get back to work
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast