Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's better -- exercycle or trainer?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What's better -- exercycle or trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-07, 05:20 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bac
You live in San Diego, and want to ride inside? I live in Pennsylvania, and ride outside in the winter! What does it rain ... like 4 days/year???

Okay, sorry for the mini-rant. I would go with a trainer, as your position will be the same as when you are on the bike. It's also much more compact.
True, it doesn't rain often. But it does get dark early during the winter, and I can't always get out during the morning hours or during the day. Plus, it would probably be a healthy idea to use some of the time I'm watching TV to be getting in a little exercise.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-20-07, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
True, it doesn't rain often. But it does get dark early during the winter, and I can't always get out during the morning hours or during the day. Plus, it would probably be a healthy idea to use some of the time I'm watching TV to be getting in a little exercise.
Not to mention that you can't get lost on a trainer. Well, lost in thought maybe.
Old 02-20-07, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Lemond Zurick, BF Pocket Crusoe, Trek 2120, Iron Horse Maverick

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not get both and rollers too? Seriously, if you have the space and you can afford a good exercise bike, then a trainer and rollers won't break the bank. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. You can always sell the ones you decide don't work for you.

I use a trainer, but I've been thinking about trying getting a high-end exercise bike and/or rollers. The only thing that stops me is that I think I'm past the point of help.

My trainer and treadmill provide me all the challenges I need indoors. At 61, I try to lower my expectations faster than my declining physical and mental abilities, so I can feel good about myself. Getting a nice exercise bike would force me to raise my goals to justify the purchase. So, I'll pass and take it easy on myself until I hit the roads outside where I can't resist trying to pace the younger guys.
Old 02-20-07, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A set of lights for your bike will be cheaper and more fun than a trainer or exercycle. The night time is the right time. Or something.