Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not counting

Just curious. Are there many/any other cyclists on the 50+ Forum who regularly ride bikes, and do NOT record or track their daily mileage, time spent cycling, bicycling expenses, etc?

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I track mileage and average speed of 'training' rides, but none of that other stuff.

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never recorded how much I've spent on cycling--it just doesn't seem necessary. I've only recorded that total amount of mileage at the end of the year, and even that's not very accurate, as a couple of my bikes don't have cyclocomputers on them.

I can tell you that I do not spend enough time cycling!

East Hill

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't say I regularly ride, but try to sneak in a ride every chance I have. I have cyclometers on my bikes, but I don't track or record it. Just like to know how far a certain loop I might try is, or max speed, but no, I don't keep track of it.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only track the original cost of a bike. I don't think I want to know how much I spend on cycling clothes, equipment, tours, etc. I do keep the receipts for bike maintenance/repairs at the bike shop. The cycling clothes take up quite a bit of room in my closet

I track hours for the volunteer bike patrol and miles for the cycling club.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main reason for the bike is for exercize so I don't worry much about anything statistical...however I have been keeping a rough estimate on the mileage just for the fun of it. On the other hand, as others have said, I don't lose sleep if I am not accurate. keep on biking.

My Bikes
    RANS Dynamik
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really kept track of mileage except for individual rides, it diminishes the pleasure cycling for me. I bike to relax and get away from the pressures of life and tracking miles seems like work to me. Others are more goal oriented and like having a record.

I still wouldn't keep track but I joined the Clydes’ mileage club…

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of me wishes I could be more casual about my riding, but that's a dream for my next life. I track my weekly accumulation, my average ride time (one of my mini-goals is to increase my average mph on a couple of my favorite rides), and my annual accumulation. I used to keep an exercise journal so I could track my progress, but that took the juice out of the ride for me.

Now I have tandem mileage/average mph to track, too. Whoo-hoo!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't track anything. I thought about it several years ago, but decided not to. I bike just for the sheer pleasure of it, and tracking mileage, expenses, etc., seemed to diminish that in my mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't keep track of any of those things.

Also; I don't take photos.

I just want the experiance.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One road bike and the MTB have cyclometers on them and I enjoy seeing some of the stats. The road bike has a HRM but I wear it about 2% of the time. Unfortunately, the road bike is wireless and it's always acting up (so much for $140 spent). The MTB wired cyclometer just stopped recording. It'd be nice to track milage by week/month/year but with more than one bike and malfunctioning cyclometers it won't happen.

My wife tracks the expenses and according to her it's equivalent to a car payment. I have my doubts - I know, one day soon, I'll my base set of equipment and gear complete
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride the same route five days every week, year round. Similarly, expenses are also constant, as they mostly consist of paying the bike shop to put the studded tires on in December and take them off in March, plus a few tune-ups. What's the point in keeping track of things that never change?

The important things that do change include the size and position of the moon, the presence of snow, colored leaves, green vegetation, and wildlife. I prefer to just experience them, though.

Paul

My Bikes
    Still have a few left!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I log my miles & don't keep track of $ spent over time but my "cheap" genes encourage me to seek out bargains on parts & gear. Don

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to, but haven't had a computer on my bikes for 5 years. I know from other people and from route slips that I do 5000+ miles per year, but speed, etc., is meaningless. If you've tried motorcycles, boats, alcoholism, or divorce, you know the expense of cycling is minimal.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cyclometer - most basic type. Aside for checking to see if I am slowing down or speeding up on my commute - I really don't pay attention.

I do look at my overall distance - but that is more of a curiosity than anything. Not very serious. I am currently riding at a higher level than I thought I would ever do - so that is good enough for me.

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    The important things that do change include the size and position of the moon, the presence of snow, colored leaves, green vegetation, and wildlife. I prefer to just experience them, though. Paul
    Like the day I went out early for a ride on the local MUP--Big Soos Creek--and heard some very strange sounds...the sounds were made by RIVER OTTERS! It seems that they come up the creek every year, briefly. Very, very few people know that they are there, and even fewer have seen them. I was lucky enough that first time to be standing on a bridge over the creek when they swam by, and was not more than three or feet away from them.

East Hill

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't keep records of any statistics. I do have computers on the 2 bikes I do long rides on, the road bike and the tandem. I mostly look to see how far I've gone or what time it is. I'll check avg speed just to see if how I feel relates to how fast I'm riding. I often check mileage to various points along a regular route for reference when laying out rides for the club.
    I've stopped resetting my computers annually because I don't really care what my annual mileage is. Doesn't make sense to track it when so much of my riding is mountain biking or on bikes without computers.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No computers, no logs, no expense tracking.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do about 50km/day, more on weekends...used to have a cats-eye computer until it broke a few years ago, so i'm not tracking nowadays

my wife, hoever, does keep track of how much i spend on bikes

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, lots of responses and every one interesting and enlightening to me. I expected more uniformity of thought based on other threads on 50 Plus. Nice to see the variety of approaches to the subject.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't track what I have spent, but I keep detailed estimates of what I need to spend on the projects and upgrades I'm planning.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to track everything and write it down, but as the years go by, all I care about is the experience of riding and the excersize...so no, nothing gets written down anymore. I keep an eye on the miles per trip and the total miles on my current bike, but just for fun. And, being in So Cal, I can ride all year round, so I try to bike every other day, or every third day at a minimum. Usually 40-60 miles...but I don't write it down!

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    No computers, no logs, no expense tracking.
    +1 (almost).

I do have a computer on my wanna-be bike. Unfortunately, the feedback tells me that I go down the Alpine passes at the speeds the pros go up them.
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 02-20-07 at 09:13 AM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bike computer, and note my mileage, average speed and time after each ride, but don't log it. I like knowing how many miles I do a year, roughly, but haven't set any goals. My riding has to fit in around my work schedule, and I don't want to let riding become another chore that I HAVE to get done. I enjoy it too much for that. I like to ride when I can, miss it if I have to, and not stress over missing a ride, or feel I have to "double up" to make up time missed.

As hobbies go, at least for me, it's pretty inexpensive. Factor in the health benefits, and it's PRICELESS!!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do at least one hour/day biking or trainer biking plus 15-30 minutes upper body exercise. I bike as much as time allows on weekends and vacation. I am still working so that means that time is of a premium.
    No sense for me to track what I do because time pressure dictates what I do.

It will be a different ball-game once I retire. I am sure that exercise will take a central place in my priorities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast