Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Ride, Strange Flat - Ghost in garage?

Nice Ride, Strange Flat - Ghost in garage?

Temp got up to 52F under a brilliant Colorado sky, which made for a wonderful 1.5 hour ride even with the 15-20 mph headwinds on the return (but very little tail wind on the out)!

Because of my wife's continuing recovery from her knee replacement, I sort of have to squeeze my rides in, without wasting too much time in the process. So, I went out to the garage to get the roadie steed, and, lo and behold, a garage flat! Now, two days ago I rode the steed after not riding it for 2 months (due to blizzards, etc.) and the tire had only dropped from 120 psi to 100 psi over those two months. But, today, totally flat after two nights.

OK, I do have stuff in the tire to seal leaks, so I decided to take a chance. I pumped it up to 120 psi, and checked it over - no visible leaks. Then I rode 1.5 hours on it, and it was still totally inflated to 120 psi.

Very strange.

Anyone else have ghosts in their garage deflating their tires at night?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-20-07 at 05:45 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Flat Fairy?
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

Rans Fusion
    Catrike Road
    Bacchetta Cafe'
    Trek 7200 (For Sale)

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happens once in a while.

If you find out the pressure has gone up after sitting in the garage, call Ghostbusters.

How is Mrs. DnvrFox ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    How is Mrs. DnvrFox ?
    She is doing great, although she gets quite tired in the pm, which I tell her is normal. SHe is now walking a lot without the cane, and has a 0 - 118 degree range of motion.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Dnvr, with spring on the way, buried under the white stuff, you two will be about ready for one of those picnics you do. Great.

The cause of a flat is always there...it's just that our prescription lenses and age stiffened finger tips aren't finding that cause.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    So, Dnvr, with spring on the way, buried under the white stuff, you two will be about ready for one of those picnics you do. Great.

The cause of a flat is always there...it's just that our prescription lenses and age stiffened finger tips aren't finding that cause.
    I think the goop blew out whiile standing in the garage after being inflated from 100 to 120 psi, and when I spun the tire and reinflated it, it resealed. Most likely a goathead tiny puncture.

Yeah - looking forward to the picnics.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be paranoid about those things. I have long suspected that Presta valves sometimes don't completely seat after topping off, but could never convince anybody. Has'nt happened in half a year, though.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 wheels with flat tires just like that on a couple bikes that are sitting in the garage. However, mine have been sitting there without my pumping them up for several months!! I thought they looked like they could use a break........ Your situation is realy strange. Maybe the air is just that much thinner at your elevation!!!!

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    She is doing great, although she gets quite tired in the pm, which I tell her is normal. SHe is now walking a lot without the cane, and has a 0 - 118 degree range of motion.
    sounds good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cause of my garage flats was my 18 yo daughter
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once had an intermittent flat problem (overnight or left in garage a few days) on one of my bikes. Finally solved the mystery by removing the tube & a close examination discovered a small split where the valve stem met the tube. It sometimes leaked & other times went days with only normal pressure loss. New tube solved the problem.

dbg
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal
    I used to be paranoid about those things. I have long suspected that Presta valves sometimes don't completely seat after topping off, but could never convince anybody. Has'nt happened in half a year, though.
    I have also held this opinion. After inflating prestas I always tap the top just to bob the valve into place.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg
    I have also held this opinion. After inflating prestas I always tap the top just to bob the valve into place.
    Doesn't matter whether it is presta or schraeder- Flat tyres appear in the shed and don't get corrected till I repair the puncture.

Like another poster- I had the split around the valve stem on a couple of presta tubes (Fitted into Schraeder size holes) and I could pump up the tyre and it would hold pressure for a days ride. Next day and it would be flat again though.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it is half flat today, so it appears I will have to fix it! Darn.

And these are Specialized Armadillos - not supposed to flat, and hard as the devil to mount.