Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mt Mitchell again in 2007

I just completed registration for the Assault on Mt Mitchell that will be on Monday, June 11. The AOMM is 102 miles of "blissful" riding with 11,000 feet of climbing. The ride starts at 6:30 am (right beside a Krispy Kreme Doughnut store) 100 miles away from the park and finishes on top of the Mountain.

About 1/2 of the climbing is in the last 20 miles. None of the climbing is over 10% but going 6-8 mph for the last 2-3 hours can not only really challenge your mental state-if you don't have a good saddle it is one really, really long miserable day.

Usually the AOMM is on a Saturday but the Blue Ridge Parkway has asked them to move it off a weekend to minimize any conflicts with the normal visitors to Mt Mitchell so having it on a Monday is a first. Usually they do a good job with traffic control and getting volunteers for rest stops so it will be interesting to see how it goes this year.

It is getting much harder to get in the event as the ride is capped due to the Parkway restricting the number of riders. Another quirk they added this year -they allowed their club members to register 3 weeks early to be insured of getting a number. Anyone could be a club member if they paid the club membership fee by December 31......by paying the membership fee it jacked up the price of the event by 25% and it is already at $85....... I think they cap the Mitchell riders at 1100 and I saw where the membership in their club soared from about 100+ to 660 this year.......Supply and Demand!!

I just didn't like the idea of paying a premium for so much pain........I had resigned myself to not riding this year due to the registration challenges. It looks like I now know what I'm going to be training for over the next few months.......

And I still recall saying "at least I don't have to do that ride again" after crossing the finish line last year. Here we go again.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the guys I work with just moved to Colorado from N. Carolina. He's planning to go back to do this ride, so I looked up the route. It looks just brutal. But since you've already done it, you won't be able to claim it was harder than expected.

For a change of scenery, maybe you should come out to Colorado and ride the Triple Bypass (120 miles, 12000ft of climbing and 3 mountain passes) And, no, I haven't ridden it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "None of the climbing is over 10%"
    "going 6-8mph for [...] 2-3 hours [...] can really challenge your mental state"

I read this and I know I have sooooo far to go before I can be a "real" cyclist.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it takes jppe 2-3 hours, that means it would take me 8-10 hours.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good saddle and it would still be one loooooong miserable day for me. Good luck JPPE I have to admire guys like you.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

tm3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moving it to june might take the fun of potential sleet out of the whole thing. oh, well.

that ride was like pounding myself in the head with a hammer for several hours -- it really felt good when it was over.

good luck!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    If it takes jppe 2-3 hours, that means it would take me 8-10 hours.
    It means I simply couldn't do it.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    While jppe is climing Mt. Mitchell, I'll come by with a six-pack and we can talk about how good we were back in the day. Come to think of it, knocking back a six pack was my best skill back in the day. Oh well.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    While jppe is climing Mt. Mitchell, I'll come by with a six-pack and we can talk about how good we were back in the day. Come to think of it, knocking back a six pack was my best skill back in the day. Oh well.
    How about hanging out at that Krispy Kreme he mentioned in the OP? I could do that!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A six pack of Happy Hops can be had locally for $3.99. Given the registration fee being higher, I'll go with the Happy Hops and get a little higher in my recliner. C'mon, jppe, no doggin' it.... shift up and go (burp!) for that PB!

Seriously, maybe some of us could be out on the road that afternoon about the time jppe hits the mountain and we could shift up for a few hundred yards and think positive thoughts. Sounds hokey but that's partly what BF is all about.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I did the math. If he can it in 2-3 hours at 6-8 mph, then that means I can do it in 8-10 hours as that is walking speed. I would lock the bike up somewhere and walk it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jppe.

Glad you have got an entry and by some of the comments- Some of the rest of the forum are glad you got and entry- Instead of them. I know I am new to road biking but 3 hours at 6 to 8MPH on a 10% hill would take it out of a lot of us- Me included- My 100 miler is taken at an average of 9MPH but then I don't have much Tarmac under the wheels.

For the rest of us- If you are into distance riding- then 100miles is not a long way- Two long rides strung together. It does take training but how many of you are up to riding your age this year? How many will extend that to a metric century? If you do not do distance- with the effort you put in then you are on a par with some of us that do. Now when it comes to speed riding- Forget it for me. I get up to 18mph and the after an hour- I want to go home. Cut that down to 14/15 and I will still be there 6 hours later. Then offroad- Providing I can keep moving and I don't walk the hills- I do not need any more than that.

So we have a new date for a Group forum ride. 11th June for a Virtual ride on jppe's century- So we can all participate in sweating and straining up those hills. S*d it- I am on holiday on that date- Preparing for my bike ride so it it is already marked on the calendar.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it again jppe!!
    You're a real inspiration!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I did the math. If he can it in 2-3 hours at 6-8 mph, then that means I can do it in 8-10 hours as that is walking speed. I would lock the bike up somewhere and walk it.
    No, you have to double your time. A good (fast) walking speed is 3-4 mph. 6-8 is running. Do the math again.

JPPE, GO!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You folks are too much!!! Believe it or not, it will help a lot knowing some of you might be out riding while others are enjoying something a little more relaxing.

This ride is so much about being mentally tough. Yeah-everything hurts but that part is manageable. What the really hard part is, is looking at the milepost on the Blue Ridge Parkway, figuring out that you're just 15 miles away from the finish-but after doing the math determining that last 15 miles is going to take you 2 hours......and you've already been up since 4 am and have been riding for 5 hours.

Thinking about what you folks might be doing over that two hour period could very well help the time pass a little quicker!!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    No, you have to double your time. A good (fast) walking speed is 3-4 mph. 6-8 is running. Do the math again.
    You did not factor in that it is all uphill! I'm not going to be able to maintain 4 mph uphill for 4-5 hours!

For one thing, there would be no time for eating pie at such a pace!

I'm sticking to my 8-10 hours.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be thinking about you, jppe, as I'm riding a very flat section of south Georgia - a 62 mile ride from Americus to Cordele on BRAG that day. There will be a few hills as we are going through Andersonville (Civil War Prison), but I'll be far past that by the time you hit Mt. Mitchell.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe-
    I'll be spinning the prayer wheels for you on that ride. Something I aspire to but first need to REALLY build my climbing skills. When it's that close, the siren song of AOMM and or Bridge to Bridge are strong. I'm still just hoping to do RAIN this year again in the same time I finished 15yrs ago. May the Force be with you...

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is interesting to go to the websites of some of the centuries jppe mentions and look at the
    times over the years and then find jppe listed in the first 20-40 finishers year after year, usually
    about an hour behind the #1 finisher, with the 10-20th time being 45 to 60min down. None
    of these centuries are less than 8000' of climbing. This is not just the AOMM, but there are 6-8
    other equally obnoxious N Carolina mountain centuries he has done well in. None of the centuries
    have less than 400 riders, some 2-3x that many, but jppe is consistently in the top 20-40.