User Tag List

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrying a bike in a pickup.

I have a ride coming up this weekend that takes place about 100 miles from my house. I will be driving our F-150 (which will be replaced when we take delivery of our CR-V). I want to carry my bike in an upright position, and am in the process of rigging something up accordingly. This is a one-off deal - I won't be investing in a carrier for the F-150 - will do so for the CR-V. Any thoughts/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a small bike stand (the type you park a bike in), you can use that up against the front of your trucks bed, bikes rear wheel in the stand, and a ratcheting tie down strap attached to the front corners of the bed and around the bike's frame. You might need a bungee cord to keep the bike's fork straight. That is how I carried my recumbents until I invested in a hitch rack.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ratcheting tie down on the frame on the rear and a second one on the bars, going to the four corners of the bed will get it done.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek Soho DLX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    A ratcheting tie down on the frame on the rear and a second one on the bars, going to the four corners of the bed will get it done.
    Yep. That's how I do it. I'm not 50, but it works for me. My Tacoma has nifty tie down cleat things on rails at the top of the bed. Very convenient.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem is how to carry a pickup on my bike. She refuses to sit on the handlebars.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A receiver-mounted rack could be used for both your present and new vehicles, if both are so equipped.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How about a bolt on fork mount (about $10) screwed down to a 1 X 4 that runs across the back of the pickup. Wont tip sideways because of the 1 X 4, wont tip for or aft because of the wheel and fork mt. You can find a use for the mount later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a one-shot deal, I'd just lay it down in the back. What's it going to hurt?
    If you don't want to do that, though, I second the motion of a fork-mount holder bolted to a board. You can put it together for about 20 bucks, less if you already have a board, and it works great. I have four mounts on a 2x6, angled so the handlebars can overlap, and I've carried one to four bikes tens of thousands of miles that way.
    But if I were only going to do it once, I'd still lay it down in the back.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog
    For a one-shot deal, I'd just lay it down in the back. What's it going to hurt?
    If you don't want to do that, though, I second the motion of a fork-mount holder bolted to a board. You can put it together for about 20 bucks, less if you already have a board, and it works great. I have four mounts on a 2x6, angled so the handlebars can overlap, and I've carried one to four bikes tens of thousands of miles that way.
    But if I were only going to do it once, I'd still lay it down in the back.
    ^What he said.^
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you dogs always stick together

My Bikes
    are not listed as if they were some sort of portfolio.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is coming up with a bunch of silly, convoluted solutions (except terrierman) that can easily be solved with a pair of motorcycle tie-downs.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F-150 here. Two to four tie down staps works well, but with a tool box you have to turn the front wheel to get it in. I don't really like just laying my bike in the back to scoot around, even with a bed liner.

For less than $100 (if you have a receiver hitch) U-Haul has a really cheap and simple rack that folds up over the tailgate when not in use and will haul 3 bikes. You will, however, need bungie cords to immobilize the bikes as the rack just supports them by the top tube.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most pickups have a groove in the side of the bed walls that a 2 x 4 will fit into perfectly(cut to the appropriate length). Go to your LBS and get a $15 front fork clamp to mount to the 2 x 4. I have transported bikes in my PU for several years this way. Toyota Tundra with a bed liner if it makes a difference. I know this may be hard to visulaize but the 2 x 4 is wedged across the bed about a foot from the floor of the bed and the front fork clamps on to the gizmo, with the wheel removed of course. Works for mt. or road bikes. Good luck.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just find suitable tie points and use Bungy cords to hold in the upright position.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    How about a bolt on fork mount (about $10) screwed down to a 1 X 4 that runs across the back of the pickup. Wont tip sideways because of the 1 X 4, wont tip for or aft because of the wheel and fork mt. You can find a use for the mount later.
    that's what I use: one 1x4 has two of them, the board is about 4' long and fits into the back of my Dodge van (with the rear seats removed). My wife & I travel with our bikes out of town that way and don't have to worry about theft off a rear rack. Have a second bolt-on fork mount on a shorter 1x4 that will allow me to carry 3 bikes in the van if needed.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple, 4x8ft plywood with 2 2x4's or 1x4's. One on each side of both wheels nailed down to the plywood forms a channel for both wheels, then a strap around seat post to hold it down. little cost, easy, secure. thats how I did it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor
    Everyone is coming up with a bunch of silly, convoluted solutions (except terrierman) that can easily be solved with a pair of motorcycle tie-downs.
    Yeah, laying a bike down in the back of a truck is so silly and convoluted.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most full size trucks,if equipted with the exta cab,the bike fit upright behind the 2 front seats.

My Bikes
    Sherer TLT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.recrac.com/

Check this web site out!

My Bikes
    Sherer TLT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)