Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discount Bike Shops.........

While asking about a commuter bike someone mentioned a shop named 'BicycleBlowOut' in Reno, Nevada.

They have what appear to be good deals on 2006, 2005, and even some 2004 models.

That brings up the question......are there other shops like this, that seem to carry 'close-out' stock? Any pitfalls from buying from a shop like this? Any personal experiences out there?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A large LBS in my area has 5 storefronts. One of them handles their used bikes and older stock clearances. The only downfall is that they don't extend the warranties on the closeouts like they do on new bikes. That is, you get the full factory warranty. But on their new bike sales they extend the warranty to lifetime on all parts (except for failure due to wear or abuse) and throw in 2 turn-ups that can be used up to several years after your initial purchase.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

And the name of that shop is???????

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This shop doesn't sell mail-order, nor even a web page beyond a simple "Welcome" page. No listings of specials. It is Budget Bicycle in Madison, WI. The used/old stock bike warehouse must have 300-400 bikes in it.

It's a fun place to poke around in. The big warehouse isn't even heated.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen their ads. They must have some industry connections and buy up mfg. stock at the end of the season. However some of the posted prices are no great deal.

Poke around your LBS in the area. You might be surprised to find some older inventory at a deal.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106
    I have seen their ads. They must have some industry connections and buy up mfg. stock at the end of the season. However some of the posted prices are no great deal.

Poke around your LBS in the area. You might be surprised to find some older inventory at a deal.
    Don't know this particular shop but we have a few in the UK that buy up old stock and put it out at a sensible price. Never a GOOD price though and my LBS will come somewhere near the price on current stock. And when it comes to last years stock- good prices again.

I may be a valued customer- but I Bought a Road bike last year. Giant SCR3.0. This is the UK model to replace the OCR range and I could have got the OCR equivalent for $780- I got my NEW model for $800.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycle Blowout (actually the parent retail shop, Bicycle Bananas) is between my house and my office--I pass it every day. I've bought a couple of kids' bikes from Bananas, but nothing from the Blowout operation. For what it's worth, the owner has been in business here for at least 20 years, has a good rep and is a longtime, hard-working bike advocate, active in all kinds of bike path, access and safety issues. I've never heard anything bad about him, and I wouldn't hesitate to do biz with them again.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the Bicycle Blowout site and they are selling a '05 Masi Gran Criterium S for a bit under $2,000. This bike retailed for $4200 in '05. The picture of the bike is exactly the bike I own. Mine came with Dura Ace and I got it from the LBS for $3,000. So, this is a tremendous deal! BTW, this is a really nice bike...Aluminum frame with CF front & rear, Fizik saddle, and CF crank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bruce19,
    Thanks. The problem I'm going to have is that I am looking at low priced, flat barred, road bikes in the $300-$500 range and that means there is probably less room for them to discount the bike.

Velo Dog,
    It is good to know that they are a reputable dealer, and they may eventually have what I am looking for, but I'm still interested in any other similar operations.