Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-07, 12:50 PM   #1
pedal lber

Bikes: 07 Specialized Roubaix Elite
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Skin Lubes

Hi Guys,

Iím seriously considering doing my first century in the middle of May. The organizers recommend using a skin/chamois lubricant. As Iím just getting started on the training regime, I havenít spent more than 3 hours in the saddle at any one time. Up to now chafing hasnít been a problem, but Iím concerned that it will after 6 or 7.

Iíve read some positives and negatives about lubricants. I know this has been discussed in the past on BF, but Iím wondering if the 50+ crowd has any experience or recommendations?
pedal lber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:02 PM   #2
Louis

Bikes:
I've been using Bag Balm for quite some time with good results. This season I think I'll experiment with A&D Ointment.

You're going to get a million different opinions on this topic, from the cheap stuff (Bag Balm) to the high price potion that Lance used.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:26 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal lber
Hi Guys,

Iím seriously considering doing my first century in the middle of May. The organizers recommend using a skin/chamois lubricant. As Iím just getting started on the training regime, I havenít spent more than 3 hours in the saddle at any one time. Up to now chafing hasnít been a problem, but Iím concerned that it will after 6 or 7.

Iíve read some positives and negatives about lubricants. I know this has been discussed in the past on BF, but Iím wondering if the 50+ crowd has any experience or recommendations?
First time I've heard of a recomendation for a lubricant. If you don't have a problem now- then don't bother. I just use a body moisturiser and that is only on the long rides (10 hours+)

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:54 PM   #4
MichiganMike

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
I use Chamois BUTT'r. Don't know if it's totally needed, but I don't usually have any problems. I only use it for longer days on the bike, and when I do a multi-day tour.
MichiganMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:59 PM   #5
Big Paulie

Bikes:
A & D works best for me...and I'm fine without anything up to 60 miles, but over that I need to lubricate.
Big Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 02:06 PM   #6
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not the really long distance guy, but ride over 50 miles require a second lube job for me. I have used the branded chamois butt'r, and A&D. I currently just use plain old Vaseline for pre-ride lube job and for additional during the ride.

Vaseline also works to prevent wind chapping on the face, but be careful of the order in which you use your hands for dual applications
Old 02-23-07, 02:27 PM   #7
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Never use anything, and sometimes ride for 12 hours. When touring, I have used Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 02:43 PM   #8
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I find it helpful on longer rides, especially when the weather is hot. I've used Vaseline, Bag Balm, Chammy Butt'r and others. I read about this one on a BF forum and I like it a lot. Cheap, pleasant smell and not too messy. Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Creme, about $5 at Walmart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68816.jpg (18.8 KB, 12 views)
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 02:56 PM   #9
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D
Body Glide is a stick, not messy and easy to transport.
http://www.sportsbasement.com/sdx/H41531.jsp
scottogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 02:56 PM   #10
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Creme, about $5 at Walmart.
At that price, I might stop borrowing and buy my own.
Old 02-23-07, 03:02 PM   #11
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
I have done many centuries in WI and used nothing except good shorts.
That did not work for me in FL. The high humidity caused problems between my legs. Cort-aid, Anti Bacterial cream, AD ointment, etc. all worked for me. As soon as I stopped using it, same problem.
Such a problem can be serious on a longer tour. Once irritated it does not go away and can get infected.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 03:50 PM   #12
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I find it helpful on longer rides, especially when the weather is hot. I've used Vaseline, Bag Balm, Chammy Butt'r and others. I read about this one on a BF forum and I like it a lot. Cheap, pleasant smell and not too messy. Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Creme, about $5 at Walmart.
I used to go without on long rides, and didn't think I had issues. Tried this stuff one time on the recommendation of a friend, and it made "things" alot more comfortable.

It's cheap, and it's good.

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 06:38 PM   #13
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
I've ridden numerous centuries & never used or needed anything. Much depends on your shorts. Avoid seams near tender skin at all costs.

I've used Body Glide for running & it's been helpful.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 06:57 PM   #14
FlyingAnchor

Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
Most of you just like to apply it. TIC
Steven
FlyingAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 07:32 PM   #15
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
I use Chamois BUTT'r. Don't know if it's totally needed, but I don't usually have any problems. I only use it for longer days on the bike, and when I do a multi-day tour.

+1 Good product. I bought the 8 oz size which has lasted three seasons. On long rides when the sweat will leave lots of salt on the skin's surface, I find it does make a positive difference. However, good shorts trump everything in terms of comfort.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:30 PM   #16
jim p

Bikes:
Ben Gay makes you go fast and out of the saddle so you don't get much friction at all.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 12:20 AM   #17
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Chamois BUTT'r can be purchased in small packets, light, easy to carry, use it if you need it.

Vaseline does work very well, but is greasy and a bit messy. Easy to put into a small container and take along.

You can also use ChapStick, which is mostly Vaseline, just get the unscented kind. Or Aquaphor, which is a reformulated (and pricier) Vasoline. I was able to score a handful of free half-ounce doctor's samples a couple of years back. These were perfect for hiking and biking.

Body Glide is probably the very best, as it isn't absorbed. It was designed to be an on-skin lubricant. Even after 12 hours you've got to wash it off to get it off.

Many other lotions & cremes work okay. Almost most of those sold as moisterizers are formulated to soak in and once they do, they no longer do much lubricating. So you might need to reapply every now & then.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 02-26-07 at 11:11 AM.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 09:20 AM   #18
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A cheaper alternative to some of the high priced stuff is Udderly Smooth. Inexpensive and commonly available at many places. I generally don't need a cream until it gets hot & humid, then it is much appreciated.
bobby c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 09:33 AM   #19
sch

Bikes:
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
One common property of skin creams/moisturizers is the amount
of water emulsified into the cream. For best results in bike use
to reduce skin irritation on the crotch and inner thighs look for
a cream that does not have water listed in the ingredients, or
if it does the water is at least 5-6 down from the start. The
greater the water content, the shorter the life of the lube in
actual use. Vaseline is the basic ingredient for appropriate
long lived skin lubes: Bag balm or udder cream are basically
vaseline with an odorant such as menthol or wintergreen.
Try noxzema type creams and after an hour you will be hard
put to find any residual in your PP. Smear a tspn of vaseline
and it will still be there at the end of your double century.
Women like creams that 'vanish', the way they vanish is the
water evaporates and the residual is smeared out so thin it is
not too greasy on the hands. Bikers needing such do NOT
want vanishing creams. Lanolin is nearly equally long lived if you
don't mind smelling like a sheep. Coca butter ditto except for
the smell.
sch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 11:10 AM   #20
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby c
A cheaper alternative to some of the high priced stuff is Udderly Smooth. Inexpensive and commonly available at many places. I generally don't need a cream until it gets hot & humid, then it is much appreciated.
I've tried this. It works ... for a little while. I have chafing problems when biking or hiking (or walking a lot). When I tried Udderly Smooth, I had to reapply every 60-90 minutes. Same for most hand lotions. And the same for cocoa butter products, which as usually sold, have water as their #1 ingredient.

The best "cheap" lotion I've tried is Vaseline's Advanced Healing lotion. You can buy a big 24 ounce bottle of it for around $4.50. Water is still #1, but petrolatum is #2, with gycerin and mineral oil very high. And no fragance. So it is kind of a smoother, gentler (& less effective) vaseline.

Even the expensive Chamois BUTT'r has water as #1. Very common.

The best are BodyGlide, plain old Vaseline, and Aquaphor (petrolatum with mineral oil & lanolin and small amounts of other stuff, but no water). Or anything else that is primarily vaseline. But all of these leave messy residuals on your hands, so they aren't as nice to use. All of the nice stuff that quickly absorbs into your hands so that they aren't a mess to use, will also quickly absorb whenever you apply it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 02-26-07 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 11:14 AM   #21
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!
There can be only one .... and this is it:

It's the best - just try it, and you can thank me later.
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 11:41 AM   #22
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

The Assos creme is popular. Pricey though. Has an anti-bacterial ingredient.

However, once again, water is its #1 ingredient, followed by glycerin and propylene glycol - the same top 3 as in most hand creams. At #4 is decyloleate, a common moisturizer. It doesn't really have much in the way of lubricants in it. Once you work your way through the top 4, you've covered about 90-95% of the volume of whats in it.

I tried a sampler of it a couple of times. Pretty average stuff. But it has its fans. The standard recommendation is to apply it to your shorts, where it makes much less of a mess than vaseline. And the anti-bacterial agent could come in handy.

What amazes me about it is the price they ask for it, especially given that it is made from common ingredients. They must make a fortune on it. Just like Eucerin does with Aquaphor.

Old 02-26-07, 11:58 AM   #23
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Bikes:
This is NOT a Brooks specific endorsement, but since using those saddles I have not chafed with decent shorts. Before, I did. I used vaseline-based Neosporin, not the creams. They don't hold up for me. Great stuff and it only takes a very small amount.
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 12:10 PM   #24
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Bag Balm gets my vote. In the pet section at Wally Mart.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 12:49 PM   #25
Big Paulie

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm
This is NOT a Brooks specific endorsement, but since using those saddles I have not chafed with decent shorts.
This brings up an interesting point. A year or so ago, "Machka" commented that there should be no need for lube on rides under 100 miles if a rider's shorts and saddle were set up properly. I think because she's woman, that might be easier goal for her to obtain than for a man. But, it's a good point, and I have strived towards that goal. As of this date, 60 miles is the most I can manage without "help," and as I stated earlier in the thread, I think that A & D ointment is the best for me...and I've tried everything mentioned here except for Assos cream, as it's too pricey even if it did work!
Big Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote