My Bikes
    07 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skin Lubes

Hi Guys,

Iím seriously considering doing my first century in the middle of May. The organizers recommend using a skin/chamois lubricant. As Iím just getting started on the training regime, I havenít spent more than 3 hours in the saddle at any one time. Up to now chafing hasnít been a problem, but Iím concerned that it will after 6 or 7.

Iíve read some positives and negatives about lubricants. I know this has been discussed in the past on BF, but Iím wondering if the 50+ crowd has any experience or recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Bag Balm for quite some time with good results. This season I think I'll experiment with A&D Ointment.

You're going to get a million different opinions on this topic, from the cheap stuff (Bag Balm) to the high price potion that Lance used.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal lber
    Hi Guys,

Iím seriously considering doing my first century in the middle of May. The organizers recommend using a skin/chamois lubricant. As Iím just getting started on the training regime, I havenít spent more than 3 hours in the saddle at any one time. Up to now chafing hasnít been a problem, but Iím concerned that it will after 6 or 7.

Iíve read some positives and negatives about lubricants. I know this has been discussed in the past on BF, but Iím wondering if the 50+ crowd has any experience or recommendations?
    First time I've heard of a recomendation for a lubricant. If you don't have a problem now- then don't bother. I just use a body moisturiser and that is only on the long rides (10 hours+)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Chamois BUTT'r. Don't know if it's totally needed, but I don't usually have any problems. I only use it for longer days on the bike, and when I do a multi-day tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A & D works best for me...and I'm fine without anything up to 60 miles, but over that I need to lubricate.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not the really long distance guy, but ride over 50 miles require a second lube job for me. I have used the branded chamois butt'r, and A&D. I currently just use plain old Vaseline for pre-ride lube job and for additional during the ride.

Vaseline also works to prevent wind chapping on the face, but be careful of the order in which you use your hands for dual applications
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never use anything, and sometimes ride for 12 hours. When touring, I have used Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it helpful on longer rides, especially when the weather is hot. I've used Vaseline, Bag Balm, Chammy Butt'r and others. I read about this one on a BF forum and I like it a lot. Cheap, pleasant smell and not too messy. Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Creme, about $5 at Walmart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Body Glide is a stick, not messy and easy to transport.
    http://www.sportsbasement.com/sdx/H41531.jsp

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Creme, about $5 at Walmart.
    At that price, I might stop borrowing and buy my own.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done many centuries in WI and used nothing except good shorts.
    That did not work for me in FL. The high humidity caused problems between my legs. Cort-aid, Anti Bacterial cream, AD ointment, etc. all worked for me. As soon as I stopped using it, same problem.
    Such a problem can be serious on a longer tour. Once irritated it does not go away and can get infected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    I find it helpful on longer rides, especially when the weather is hot. I've used Vaseline, Bag Balm, Chammy Butt'r and others. I read about this one on a BF forum and I like it a lot. Cheap, pleasant smell and not too messy. Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Creme, about $5 at Walmart.
    I used to go without on long rides, and didn't think I had issues. Tried this stuff one time on the recommendation of a friend, and it made "things" alot more comfortable.

It's cheap, and it's good.
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden numerous centuries & never used or needed anything. Much depends on your shorts. Avoid seams near tender skin at all costs.

I've used Body Glide for running & it's been helpful.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of you just like to apply it. TIC
    Steven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMike
    I use Chamois BUTT'r. Don't know if it's totally needed, but I don't usually have any problems. I only use it for longer days on the bike, and when I do a multi-day tour.

+1 Good product. I bought the 8 oz size which has lasted three seasons. On long rides when the sweat will leave lots of salt on the skin's surface, I find it does make a positive difference. However, good shorts trump everything in terms of comfort.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben Gay makes you go fast and out of the saddle so you don't get much friction at all.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chamois BUTT'r can be purchased in small packets, light, easy to carry, use it if you need it.

Vaseline does work very well, but is greasy and a bit messy. Easy to put into a small container and take along.

You can also use ChapStick, which is mostly Vaseline, just get the unscented kind. Or Aquaphor, which is a reformulated (and pricier) Vasoline. I was able to score a handful of free half-ounce doctor's samples a couple of years back. These were perfect for hiking and biking.

Body Glide is probably the very best, as it isn't absorbed. It was designed to be an on-skin lubricant. Even after 12 hours you've got to wash it off to get it off.

Many other lotions & cremes work okay. Almost most of those sold as moisterizers are formulated to soak in and once they do, they no longer do much lubricating. So you might need to reapply every now & then.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 02-26-07 at 10:11 AM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cheaper alternative to some of the high priced stuff is Udderly Smooth. Inexpensive and commonly available at many places. I generally don't need a cream until it gets hot & humid, then it is much appreciated.

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One common property of skin creams/moisturizers is the amount
    of water emulsified into the cream. For best results in bike use
    to reduce skin irritation on the crotch and inner thighs look for
    a cream that does not have water listed in the ingredients, or
    if it does the water is at least 5-6 down from the start. The
    greater the water content, the shorter the life of the lube in
    actual use. Vaseline is the basic ingredient for appropriate
    long lived skin lubes: Bag balm or udder cream are basically
    vaseline with an odorant such as menthol or wintergreen.
    Try noxzema type creams and after an hour you will be hard
    put to find any residual in your PP. Smear a tspn of vaseline
    and it will still be there at the end of your double century.
    Women like creams that 'vanish', the way they vanish is the
    water evaporates and the residual is smeared out so thin it is
    not too greasy on the hands. Bikers needing such do NOT
    want vanishing creams. Lanolin is nearly equally long lived if you
    don't mind smelling like a sheep. Coca butter ditto except for
    the smell.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c
    A cheaper alternative to some of the high priced stuff is Udderly Smooth. Inexpensive and commonly available at many places. I generally don't need a cream until it gets hot & humid, then it is much appreciated.
    I've tried this. It works ... for a little while. I have chafing problems when biking or hiking (or walking a lot). When I tried Udderly Smooth, I had to reapply every 60-90 minutes. Same for most hand lotions. And the same for cocoa butter products, which as usually sold, have water as their #1 ingredient.

The best "cheap" lotion I've tried is Vaseline's Advanced Healing lotion. You can buy a big 24 ounce bottle of it for around $4.50. Water is still #1, but petrolatum is #2, with gycerin and mineral oil very high. And no fragance. So it is kind of a smoother, gentler (& less effective) vaseline.

Even the expensive Chamois BUTT'r has water as #1. Very common.

The best are BodyGlide, plain old Vaseline, and Aquaphor (petrolatum with mineral oil & lanolin and small amounts of other stuff, but no water). Or anything else that is primarily vaseline. But all of these leave messy residuals on your hands, so they aren't as nice to use. All of the nice stuff that quickly absorbs into your hands so that they aren't a mess to use, will also quickly absorb whenever you apply it.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 02-26-07 at 11:02 AM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There can be only one .... and this is it:

It's the best - just try it, and you can thank me later.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Assos creme is popular. Pricey though. Has an anti-bacterial ingredient.

However, once again, water is its #1 ingredient, followed by glycerin and propylene glycol - the same top 3 as in most hand creams. At #4 is decyloleate, a common moisturizer. It doesn't really have much in the way of lubricants in it. Once you work your way through the top 4, you've covered about 90-95% of the volume of whats in it.

I tried a sampler of it a couple of times. Pretty average stuff. But it has its fans. The standard recommendation is to apply it to your shorts, where it makes much less of a mess than vaseline. And the anti-bacterial agent could come in handy.

What amazes me about it is the price they ask for it, especially given that it is made from common ingredients. They must make a fortune on it. Just like Eucerin does with Aquaphor.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is NOT a Brooks specific endorsement, but since using those saddles I have not chafed with decent shorts. Before, I did. I used vaseline-based Neosporin, not the creams. They don't hold up for me. Great stuff and it only takes a very small amount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bag Balm gets my vote. In the pet section at Wally Mart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    This is NOT a Brooks specific endorsement, but since using those saddles I have not chafed with decent shorts.
    This brings up an interesting point. A year or so ago, "Machka" commented that there should be no need for lube on rides under 100 miles if a rider's shorts and saddle were set up properly. I think because she's woman, that might be easier goal for her to obtain than for a man. But, it's a good point, and I have strived towards that goal. As of this date, 60 miles is the most I can manage without "help," and as I stated earlier in the thread, I think that A & D ointment is the best for me...and I've tried everything mentioned here except for Assos cream, as it's too pricey even if it did work!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast