Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought my first road bike!

Went in and got fitted for a custom bike today. Due to neck and back problems I thought that would be the best way to go. The fitting session took around 3 hours. I decided on a Seven Axiom Titanium frame. I had planned on going with a cheaper steel frame, but looking at the frame on my bike from yesterdays ride, covered with sand and salt, titanium seemed like ti would be easier to maintain. As I now live in an apartment there is no place to hose off a bike after a ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Seven Axiom is a sweet ride. Hope you enjoy many carefree miles.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having just observed a demo fitting session, given by a "high-end" fitting service, I can understand the value in doing what you just did. Worth taking the shot if you can spare the coin. Hope it works out for you.

Any estimate as to how long it will take to get the bike?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told about 3 weeks to get the frame built, then less then a week for the shop to put it together. So 3 to 4 weeks. 8 weeks would actually be perfect for me cause thats when I'll get my vacation check from work which will pay for the bike.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I know you're going to love it. But you'd better wipe that thing down after you ride it. Having a frame made of durable material is no excuse for mistreating it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you post pictures (and you will) be sure to put the bike in front of a white garage door.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I just read where Seven Cycles was just bought out by Huffy, and is going straight to WallMArt starting March 1.

I sure hope you got your order in on time!!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    When you post pictures (and you will) be sure to put the bike in front of a white garage door.
    Surely Titanium won't pick out well in front of a white door.

Get a couple of rides in so that the dirt on the frame will let us see it better.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new aquisition... enjoy

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go, these new bikes are so smooth I can't believe it. Have fun and congradulations.
    George

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are 50+ and you are buying a custom-built Seven as your FIRST road bike? That's some place to start. Have you been on mountain bikes in the past and are now moving to the road?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    So you are 50+ and you are buying a custom-built Seven as your FIRST road bike? That's some place to start. Have you been on mountain bikes in the past and are now moving to the road?
    I owned an ancient $79 bike store brand 10 speed that I bought in the late 60's but hardly rode it. Bought a mtn bike when they first appeared in the early 80's (Ross Mt Washington). Replaced that in the mid 90's with a Specialized Rock Hopper. Replaced that with a Gary Fisher Nirvana about 5 years ago, though I prefered to still ride the Specialized. Now since most of my riding is on pavement I figured a road bike would be nice, and with all my back and neck problems I wanted the custom fit. Besides while I was in the shop someone ordered a set of $5500 wheels. I feel like a piker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Bad. Its an Alaris frame I'm getting, not an Axiom. And I ordered a brushed finish, as I'm the kind of guy thats pretty rough on a bike, and I know without a kickstand it may get knocked over a lot. But I'm having second thoughts on whether or not to order a paint job. The colors available look pretty damn nice, but will change the wait time for the frame from 3-4 weeks to 7-12 weeks. Is it better to have a painted frame or an unpainted brushed finish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg
    Is it better to have a painted frame or an unpainted brushed finish?
    Unpainted!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Bad. Its an Alaris frame I'm getting, not an Axiom. And I ordered a brushed finish, as I'm the kind of guy thats pretty rough on a bike, and I know without a kickstand it may get knocked over a lot. But I'm having second thoughts on whether or not to order a paint job. The colors available look pretty damn nice, but will change the wait time for the frame from 3-4 weeks to 7-12 weeks. Is it better to have a painted frame or an unpainted brushed finish?
    Actually, without a kick stand it will get knocked over a lot less, IMHO. Generally, one is much more selective about where one places one's bike - especially a Seven - than when using a kick stand, where the wind or someone passing by or whatever, knocks it over.

Congratulations - sounds wonderful.

And you bought this without asking about 50 questions of this biking group? Amazing!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-02-07 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't trust it until it was well and thoroughly tested.
    So when you get your new bike, DO NOT RIDE IT!
    Immediately send it to ME!
    I will protect you from any mfgr defects, and LBR assembly errors.
    So play it safe, send it to me to test ride for you.
    I will completely test it, and return it to you when I'm satisfied that the bike is in perfect working order.
    That shouldn't take more than 2-3 months, 4 months tops, 6 if there are problems(there usually are).
    I'll be waiting for the box to arrive, with an enclosed check for return shipping.

Just kidding, enjoy what will be a sweet ride.
    BTW what did you spec for components?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went low budget. Shimano Ultegra. The bike was fitted and purchased from Signature Cycles, whose NYC fitting studio is 4 blocks from my apt. Before I committed I spoke with a serious rider friend in FL, who said she has heard of them and one of the girls she rides with flew up to NY to get a bike from them. After staring at Sevens online catalog this afternoon I was tempted to upgrade to the Axiom frame, but my overblown budget couldn't take the extra $800. I've also decided to skip the paint so I can start riding it sooner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine from So Cal stopped in Signature Cycles on a trip to NYC a few months ago, and hasn't stopped talking about it since!

Your bike sounds great!

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went low budget. Shimano Ultegra.
    You're killing me. Just so you know.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, I'm in awe of this entire thread. My first road bike in '83 was a Univega pot metal cruiser. Any gear over 70 inches and the rear stays would fishtail.

DenDawg.....my admiration (and maybe a bit of envy?) for your new baby.....with more and more miles, you'll appreciate it more and more. Send pics and a ride report.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I just gotta figure out how large a lock and chain to buy for it. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Shimano Ultegra Double Group cost $645 from an on-line bike store.

That is more than the price I paid for 3 of my 4 bikes, combined.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our first tandem in October 06, I told my wife I would just ride the tandem with her. She is also a single bike rider and rides with friends when I cannot ride. I am having so much fun I decided to get a single. I pulled the trigger this week on an 06 Fuji Team Pro. I got a screaming deal on it. I rode it on a short hill climb today to see if the compact chainwheel was going to be a problem as I have always ridden triples in the hills. Short version-YeeHaw. I averaged 18mph on a 12 mile ride where the first 4 miles are an average 6-7 percent grade.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgallagh
    When we bought our first tandem in October 06, I told my wife I would just ride the tandem with her. She is also a single bike rider and rides with friends when I cannot ride. I am having so much fun I decided to get a single. I pulled the trigger this week on an 06 Fuji Team Pro. I got a screaming deal on it. I rode it on a short hill climb today to see if the compact chainwheel was going to be a problem as I have always ridden triples in the hills. Short version-YeeHaw. I averaged 18mph on a 12 mile ride where the first 4 miles are an average 6-7 percent grade.
    Being used a triple - mtb and hybrid, thats what I went with. I was thinking of a compact. Salesman said it would be easier shifting, and I wouldn't loose much at the low end, but if I was used to a triple that might be better for me. There's still some time to change my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast