I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the saddle -- WooHoo!

Today is shaping up as one of those perfect days for cycling, with temps hovering around 60 degrees and almost no wind. My knee hasn't been bothering me much for several days, so I decided to take a ride and see how it went.

I'm excited and pleased to report that I went about 12.5 miles completely pain free! It was sooo much fun to be back in the saddle again, and not dealing with my knee barking at me. I could have gone longer, but the prudent side of me reminded me that there was little reason to push it to the point of regret, so I climbed off the bike and came inside.

It was so much fun I forgot to hook up my iPod, which I had brought along. I just loved being out there, the breeze, the people on the sidewalks and throughtout the park, the sensation of the tires on the pavement. THIS is why I ride, I reminded myself. For days like this.

I have to travel for another week starting tomorrow night, so I know I'll be completely "restored" when I get back. We'll be heading into Spring, The Diego will be ready for me to practice road biking on, and then there's Daylight Savings Time right around the corner.

Life is good!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does sound perfect!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    and then there's Daylight Savings Time right around the corner.

Life is good!
    Does that mean you will be getting more sun than you are now?

Glad to see that you are back riding, even if it is just gentle recuperation, but don't overdo it. Don't want to hear that you have done your first Full Century until the Diego has had time to adjust to fumbling hands making a mess of the gearchanges and the wheels have been retrued from the bunny hops you will be doing in the New clipless shoes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today is shaping up as one of those perfect days for cycling, with temps hovering around 60 degrees and almost no wind. My knee hasn't been bothering me much for several days, so I decided to take a ride and see how it went.

I'm excited and pleased to report that I went about 12.5 miles completely pain free! It was sooo much fun to be back in the saddle again, and not dealing with my knee barking at me. I could have gone longer, but the prudent side of me reminded me that there was little reason to push it to the point of regret, so I climbed off the bike and came inside.

It was so much fun I forgot to hook up my iPod, which I had brought along. I just loved being out there, the breeze, the people on the sidewalks and throughtout the park, the sensation of the tires on the pavement. THIS is why I ride, I reminded myself. For days like this.

I have to travel for another week starting tomorrow night, so I know I'll be completely "restored" when I get back. We'll be heading into Spring, The Diego will be ready for me to practice road biking on, and then there's Daylight Savings Time right around the corner.

Life is good!
    No more Mel Tourme(sp) on you ipod,its killing your milage average,your a road animal now,sleek as a seal running from an Eskimo,s club.Let it rip wildman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Does that mean you will be getting more sun than you are now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Welcome back to the road, mon ami.

+1 on taking it easy for a while.
    You don't want to miss any more rides
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go DG. Glad you're back in the saddle.

While you're old enough to tell me to go to hell for giving you advice, I'm old enough to give it to you anyway: Fuggetabout the ipod when you're on your bike. Riding in the moment, seeing and hearing what is immediately before you, your rides will become moving meditations. OK, sermon over.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm excited and pleased to report that I went about 12.5 miles completely pain free!
    Congratulations, Gary! Welcome back on the road!

Steve

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to hear you are recuperating so well and so easily. I bet you're still sorry you didn't get an MRI though. Not to pile on, but Jet Travis's advice on the iPod is sound, IMHO. The sounds of the places I ride through are entertainment enough for my ears, losing that aspect would make the rides less.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're back doing what you love...just don't push it too soon.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi
    Glad you're back doing what you love...just don't push it too soon.
    Rode another ten miles this morning, still no pain. But I'm forced to lay off for another six days with business travel. Then I'll start biking several times a week, and I'll take your advice and build up slowly.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh...you're back. I recall the pathos when it was first thought you'd be trading in the bike for a rocking chair. Glad you're back, DG. Depending on the problem, post ride ice can be very nice on knees.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG,

I'm here for you buddy. Right behind you all the way Hope it goes well and that you're able to completely rehabilitate.

And if you can't, then I'll do you the favor of taking your bikes off of your hands, at a full 50% of what you paid for them. You know, as a friend, to help you out financially. Just let me know.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post