Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-07, 05:49 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We went up...we went down...We went up.....

Five of us did a century today that had more hills than I knew existed in this part of NC. After a while it got downright comical as we were taking side roads just to find a hill. We were way past being tired and we just tried to keep the humor up. The feature climb and also the furtherest point out was Morrow Mtn State Park which has a 700 ft climb over about 3.5 miles. We had a nice "race" to the top and there's no bragging rights to report here!!

Weather was terrific-temps peaked in the high 50's and wind wasn't too much of a factor which helped to make is as enjoyable as possible.

The good news was a wife of one of the riders sagged for us today. Talk about incredible service!! It was a rolling rest stop well stocked with everything you could have wanted and more.

She even brought their 3 kids-what a trooper this lady was!! She would drive ahead about every 10 miles and while we didn't stop too much it was fun just waving to her and the kids. The kids were entertained with 3 movies throughout the day plus watching their Dad-along with getting out and running around in fields waiting on us slugs to come around.

The 5 cyclists were all in pretty good shape which really helped to spread the work around. One is a Cat 1/2 female who just zoomed up the hills. Another is a Cat 3 male who faded on us the last 30 miles but we towed him in.

We wound up with 106 miles and about 8000+ feet of climbing which for this time of the year is not too shabby.

I'm ready for a nap, food, the jacuzzi, pie????

I hope some of you were able to get out and ride over the weekend as well.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 06:43 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As always, jppe, you blow me away!

No riding here - snowed last night, heavy winds today about 36F, and a lot of ice around. Not fun for me. Glad you had a great day.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 06:49 PM   #3
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm really getting envious of these rides Sounds wonderful.

It's 30F here with freezing rain - don't think the Sunday morning breakfast ride will happen again this week.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 07:41 PM   #4
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
I did a couple of 65 mile rides last summer with a group that had their own SAG wagon. That is really the way to go. It makes one feels so special. And I discovered sliced pepperoncinis (sp) in turkey sandwiches. Love 'em.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 07:50 PM   #5
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
It was ladies' day on the Gordon Valley loop up here. I logged 54 miles, the last 8 in the rain. So I was cold & wet at the end but it was okay. We need the rain & riding in the rain will make me stronger...right?

I feel for you guys who are still in winter's grip.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 08:03 PM   #6
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My wife and I rode 70 miles with 6000 feet of climbing today on the tandem. We encountered a little rain but not much. Met up with another tandem team who joined us for 35 miles and raced another tandem for a few miles near the finish of our ride. It was a great day for riding and we are ready for Solvang Century in two weeks.
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 08:37 PM   #7
SaiKaiTai

Bikes:
Quote:
The feature climb ... has a 700 ft climb over about 3.5 miles. We had a nice "race" to the top and there's no bragging rights to report here!!
Having done a local climb of 600+ feet over 2.2 miles, I can appreciate this.
I've done it 3 times and I've not yet without stopping... more than once (not really my fault)

You are an inspiration.
SaiKaiTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 08:47 PM   #8
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
Sounds like a great ride, jppe, but the climbing would have done me in. We had a dust storm today, with 40 mph west winds, so I skipped the club ride I had planned, and played couch potato today. I hope to ride tomorrow.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 09:03 PM   #9
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe

I'm ready for a nap, food, the jacuzzi, pie????
Me too, and all I did was read about your ride.
Old 02-24-07, 09:12 PM   #10
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I thought we had another lyrics contest going on.

I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down
I get up, I get down

"Close to the Edge" by Yes

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 09:35 PM   #11
Big Paulie

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I thought we had another lyrics contest going on.
Don't go there, TB!
Big Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 01:43 AM   #12
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoftherings
My wife and I rode 70 miles with 6000 feet of climbing today on the tandem. We encountered a little rain but not much. Met up with another tandem team who joined us for 35 miles and raced another tandem for a few miles near the finish of our ride. It was a great day for riding and we are ready for Solvang Century in two weeks.
In all the rides I have done on the Tandem- I have yet to ride with another one. Some of the organised rides have teams riding but The speed difference is too large to say we ride together. Even on our offroad jaunt- in 2004 there was another pair of nutters entered, but we broke a chain after 5 minutes and it took 80 miles before we saw them again. We only rode together for the Last 200 yard at the finish and that was at the end of some very hard riding and a big downhill to catch them. Tandems are a bit scarce in our area and Offroad ones even rarer.

All these centuries that JPPE is doing is making me weak, and that is just the thought of them. Think I will have to get the mountain bike out this morning and get a 40 miler in. At least that way I will feel as though I have done a century- even if it is a bit shorter.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 10:22 AM   #13
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Dang. I rode 27 miles yesterday on a MTB with slicks and thought I was special. Heck, climbed 1732 feet and hadn't been riding for three weeks. I am special, dang it. I guess.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 01:37 PM   #14
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
Once again you're setting the pace jppe! Great report and nice effort for so early in the season. Sat. was beautiful.
I only rode my 15 mile exercise ride in the early morning as I had alot of home commitments. Now on Sunday I have time, but of course it is 37 and raining hard.
I'm not complaining really though I managed to get in 79 miles this week just with my morning exercise ride. Being back on my morning schedule of riding just makes me happier.
p8rider is offline   Reply With Quote