I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your favorite distance?

Just got to wondering what people's favorite distance is when you're out for a ride. Sure, it's all good. But if the weather is right, and the time is available, and the road is calling you, what would be a good distance?

Of course you could go longer, and often have to go shorter, but I'm just wondering what people see as the right distance for a good, regular ride.

For me, it's something between 20-25 miles. I often can't ride that far because time won't permit it, and I sometimes go longer, but I would say my weekend rides of 20-25 miles are just about perfect in length. For me.

What about you?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25 miles / 40 km sounds very good to me, as well, and is my typical recreational distance. I did 30 mi / 50 km of utility/transportation cycling today, on-road but on the mountain bike, in three separate stages: 25% to the office (Carlsbad Airport Centre business park), 50% office to father-in-law's house (Solana Beach, for his 85th birthday luncheon), 25% back home.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live there is a straight, flat (well, this is FL) run of 10 miles of bike path each way which is used by a lot of paceline riders, including myself. I really enjoy doing this 20 mi blast at speed a couple times per week.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite distance is being 10' from the fridge. And I really need to change this!

As far as rides go, it depends on the weather and surface. Most of my riding is on rail trails. When they are soft, then I really don't enjoy riding that far, only 6 to 8 miles. When dry, about 12-15 miles. Hope to up that this summer.

Don't know what it is for pavement, I rarely have an opportunity to ride more than about 5 miles on paved trails.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rides are usually in the 10 - 15 mile range because of time but do enjoy the 20-25 too as an ideal ride for fun...don't really have much of a chance for the longer ones. Even though Kansas is not as flat as Florida, where I am don't have too many hills to climb. Bike ride is a chance to get away from the work for a while.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fifty and up. My shortest ride is 30 miles. It takes me about 20 miles just to warm up (especially since winter roared back into Northern CA). Today I rode 54 miles under threatening gray skies, the last 8 in rain. Had it not rained I was game for tacking another 20 onto my ride.

Any day I can get out on the road is a great day.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the weather is nice, I like rides in the 30 to 50 mile range. Less than 30 seems a little wimpy and I'm pretty much ready to get off of the bike and do something else at around 50.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    If the weather is nice, I like rides in the 30 to 50 mile range. Less than 30 seems a little wimpy and I'm pretty much ready to get off of the bike and do something else at around 50.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 miles is perfect for pure fun. My mood is always at its peak at 30 miles. But, I like to ride 50 to 100 miles because I really need the work, health-wise, and long rides are very satisfying.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50 is about right for me if I am just out enjoying myself.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the various lengths each have their own purpose. Right now a 100k with a group is a really good ride. It only takes a few hours, there's no need to stop, you get in an excellent workout and you don't feel all beat up afterwards. The legs and body recover very quickly as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, I was expecting a poll! Okay, I'll say 30 miles. Longer if the weather is really nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the week, 11-12 miles but on weekends I clock in with a 15-20 mile ride.
    When I get back home, I always feel like I want more.

I'm working my way up. Ultimately, I'd feel pretty good with a 25-30 mile ride.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had good weather, I'd ride about 8 or 9 hours including stops, which would translate to about 100 miles.
    Mileage of less than 30 miles on a day off feels like a waste.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My weekday rides are always 25 miles or less. On the weekend, I'm wanting a 50 mile ride, and I plan on doing quite a few rides long than that this year.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all over the lot. The ideal ride usually gets longer as the season progresses. I've learned that even a short ride is much better than no ride.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25-30 miles is the range my training rides usually fall into. Can get that in after work from early spring to late fall, and the guys I ride with generally do these lengths, too. I enjoy doing metrics, but too many time constraints make them infrequent unless planned well in advance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 to 25 seems near perfect to me with my current set up. I hope when somebody asks this question next year, I have a different answer with larger numbers involved in it. Time does limit what I'm able to do more than getting tired does these days. That seems to be a good sign.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being retired, time is usually not any consideration for me, so I would have to say that about 30-35 miles several times a week is about right. That distance takes me to some of my favorite destinations. Weather permitting, I try to ride everyday.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Through the week when I don't have much time I like to ride 20 miles at a good pace. On the weekends 30 is a nice ride. Still being new at this I can see it getting easier to ride farther as I get in better shape.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd
    My rides are usually in the 10 - 15 mile range because of time but do enjoy the 20-25 too as an ideal ride for fun...don't really have much of a chance for the longer ones.
    + 1
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After work during the week about 21mi is all I have time for. On the weekend when time is not a limt 40-60miles.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    I'm all over the lot. The ideal ride usually gets longer as the season progresses. I've learned that even a short ride is much better than no ride.
    How true. At this time of year with fitness lacking, I do not wish to do much- 30 miles offroad is about my limit or 40 on the road- less If I can get away with it. Problem is that it takes me about 10 miles to settle into a ride, but when I do- I could keep going for a higher milage- but as I say- my fitness wil make me pay for it the next day. Today I did not want to have a hard ride so took it steady all the way and still did not enjoy it. Then from about Easter- the Fun begins starting with a 40 miler that I take as a sprint. From then on it is metric and imperial centuries every month till October. Then it is "Just a short ride today lads"
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck I'm happy anytime I can "Go the Distance"
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My morning exercise rides are almost 16 miles, but on weekends when I have time I like to ride between 30-40 miles. In season when I'm in better shape I extend that to 50. I do ride longer for a few times a year, but I view those as atypical requiring real planning on food water etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast