User Tag List

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Heavyweight Jersey

I need to get a heavy weight jersey, either wool of one of the new wonder fabrics, but not a super lightweight summer jersey. Short sleeve. Anybody know of any sources?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a Nike 100% wool (made in Italy) short sleeve bicycle jersey at my LBS. I don't know how "heavy" weight it is but it's certainly no lycra light weight. It's black and says "Tete de Course" across the front. I love the thing. I'd google "Nike Tete de Course jersey" to see if there's one around for you to look at. It cost me like $60 on sale. If you want one but can't find it near you, I'd be willing to see if my LBS has one in your size.

My Bikes
    Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a search for vintage cycling jerseys on ebay. There are a few sellers who routinely list old knit acrylic jerseys that might suit your needs. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coolest jersey ever made (IMHO) and perfect for your purposes. Pricey, but extremely well made. Once the sticker shock wears off, you'll love it for the rest of your life.

http://www.vintagevelos.com/jer-cinzano1.html

PS--They run a little small.
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 02-26-07 at 12:23 PM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rivendell has a selection--I have two of them, and they're pretty nice: www.rivbike.com

Most good wool jerseys are made of merino wool, and if you don't mind poking around thrift shops, you can often find merino wool sweater-shirts (like polo shirts, only with long sleeves) for three or four bucks. They were in fashion for about 20 minutes five years ago, and at least around here, you see them a lot in places like the Salvation Army. I bought one last week that's a dead ringer for my $85 Rivendell jersey in weight, stitching and apparent quality and looks just like it except it has a little collar on it. Cost $3.99.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick burns
    Do a search for vintage cycling jerseys on ebay. There are a few sellers who routinely list old knit acrylic jerseys that might suit your needs. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap.
    Have to admit that my best and favourite top is a TREK one- from around 92. It has worn well- is warmish but wicks away sweat very well. Look around for some vintage Lycra or acrylic tops- They were good.

I know it it will be difficult to get but there a material called "Roubaix". I have a couple of long sleeve tops in this and it is a bit thicker material. Wears well but can be warm when worn under a windproof. Ideal for winter.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you just get an inexpensive Thermax or polypro base layer (typically in black, preferably with a zippered mock turtleneck), and wear it underneath a regular summer jersey?
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick burns
    just about anything you can imagine is out there on ebay.
    I'd love to have a Cinzano Jersey, but the sticker price is well beyond my 'poseur' max. I'd be pretty embarrassed to spend that.
    as for references, I've purchased from ebay seller - hattrick - acrylic shortsleeve, vintage stuff. Nice, was what we considered solid, everyday training stuff back then.

Why no L/S? That will cut down the selection quite a bit...

For newer stuff, Castelli makes some great stuff out of a variety of modern fabrics, I luv their stuff for quality, fit and range of design (tasteless Hollyweird to 'Hi-stylin'). I have a few of theirs which are extemely comfortable in wide condition ranges. Considering how often I start a ride at 38F, and overcast and end at 65F and blazin sun.

I think this is v-cool - New Belgium Jerseys
    As it happens, about 3 months after I found these, and without me ever mentioning to 'anyone' !!! my daughter gave me the SS jersey for my burt-day (its very summer light weight...) groovy!

Guess I need to plunk down the cash for the L/S wool jersey, its Da Kine

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pearl izumi MicroSensor Thermal Jersey.
    It's pricy but warm. With arm warmers, you're set for cool weather.