Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally got caught in it yesterday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The rain. There was a 20% chance... well, 20=100 if you get wet.
I should've known when I felt drops 1/2 mile into my ride yesterday but they stopped soon enough and I figured I was good. I felt the drops again as I dropped down to Linda Mar Beach, my usual Saturday afternoon destination. You know, rain drops hurt when they hit your face at 30mph.
Anyway, they stopped again as I sat on the seawall and ate my Fig Newtons. Looking out at the cloud schrouded horizon I could see the grey fuzz - rain! And it had to be heading my way. I made it up my first short climb and on the downhill side it caught up with me. I hadn't expected it so fast.
As I've mentioned here before, I don't really have rainwear... well, I guess it was rainwear now.
But it wasn't coming down that heavily and, you know, once you're wet nd you know your just stuck with it fior the duration, it's not all that bad. I just focused on my pace, kept my head down and watched the drops fall off my face and helmet. It was almost Zen-like, really. I need to get some rain pants and shoe covers.

Meanwhile, what a difference a day and a week make.
Here are some sunset shots from various points of town and a look down from the northern most part of town to the southern most. I ride the length of this shot every Saturday. It was heading back north that the rain got me. Of course, it stopped as soon as I got back home. BTW, I love my cleats.

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 02-26-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-25-07, 09:24 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
If having scenery like that in your backyard doesn't get you out riding I don't know what will! Keep the pics coming.

BTW, I have every piece of rainwear known to man. You're going to get wet regardless...it's just a matter of how much. Maybe wearing it has its psychological advantages but as you said, once you get wet and as long as it's not too cold it's really not too bad. I don't mind getting rained on if I'm already riding. But to start in the rain is much more mentally challenging for me.......
Old 02-25-07, 10:06 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great pix, SKT. Very impressive.

As I'm sure Stapfam could attest, many riders in the UK will do the stiff-upper-lip thing and ride in anything short of a hurricaine. At least that's why I saw on several trips to England and Wales. The wicket could be sticky. The wicket could be submerged under a teeming downpour. And the Brits would don their "waterproofs" (which jppe notes are anything but) and off they would roll.

Last edited by Jet Travis; 02-25-07 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 05:59 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great pictures!
Old 02-26-07, 07:47 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis

As I'm sure Stapfam could attest, many riders in the UK will do the stiff-upper-lip thing and ride in anything short of a hurricaine. At least that's why I saw on several trips to England and Wales. The wicket could be sticky. The wicket could be submerged under a teeming downpour. And the Brits would don their "waterproofs" (which jppe notes are anything but) and off they would roll.
It's a matter of environment, too. Here in Puget Sound there are three certainties: death, taxes, rain whilst [doing whatever outdoors].

I've found that if I can manage to start off in the rain, the ride itself isn't bad, no matter how wet I get. The problem is if I stop to go into a shop, where I become warm, and extremely aware of how damp I am. The worst is when I leave the nice warm shop to go outdoors again, and get back on the bike, sopping wet, cold, and know that I have another 8-10 miles to ride, uphill, before I get back to a nice warm, dry environment.

If the entire ride is done in one go, it's quite lovely actually.

East Hill
Old 02-26-07, 11:17 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yesterdays ride started warmish but it was still S/S top- Roubaix Long sleeve and a top to keep out the draft. Normally I would put on the Goretex as the outer layer but as was warmish- I put on the windproof. You've guessed it-It rained and the windproof is not waterproof. Only a shower thank goodness but it is about time I stopped looking for Spring and remembered it is still February.

My ride may have been down to the coast- but Not coast like yours.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-26-07, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pictures! I rode Sunday with a neighbor, who just bought a new bike. I am very excited, because it means someone close by that I can ride with sometimes.
Old 02-26-07, 12:04 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pictures. With scenery like that I wouldn't mind getting caught in the rain

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-26-07, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rough gig.
Old 02-27-07, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Rough gig.
To be fair, the top three pix were taken the night before and the bottom photo, one week earlier but, yeah, it's tough, I know Still, I'll take a shot in the summer and see what you have to say. It's a different world, here, in the summertime.
Old 02-27-07, 02:02 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis

Problem over here is that if we waited for good cycling weather- we would never get out and ride. Now on the top layers- I have a goretex that is fantastic in all weathers- a waterproof top that is waterproof but gets heavy when it gets wet- a Polaris jacket that is windproof but heavy and warm- a Pertex that is only 2 ounces weight but completely windproof- an old Nike showerproof, that is comfortable but even puddle splashes and you are soaked (Was good but now just a lightweight windproof) And several Winter riding Quilted jackets that are completely warm, but have to be hidden under other tops due to the Colour. Now when it gets to leggings- Only have one pair of Bibs as I do not mind wet or windswept legs but do hate the mud drying on the hairy legs.

Spike Milligan