Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Ordered a new ride---thanks for the help!! (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/272789-ordered-new-ride-thanks-help.html)

sour01 02-26-07 06:26 PM

Ordered a new ride---thanks for the help!!

I appreciate the help concerning the Cannondale CAAD9, but I ended up going for a different ride. A friend convinced my to visit a couple more bike shops and explore a couple of other manufactures. I decided to go with a Felt F55 which is a combination of aluminum and carbon. Below is a picture and some highlights.

I have spent months researching a new ride and finally had to take the plunge. I am 6'4" tall and none of the cycling shops stocked bikes I was interested in in my size---so I had to order this bike---as I would have any other bike---without riding it. Luckily this particular LBS agreed to give me a 30 day trial period on a bike he will have a hard time moving should it not work out. I am going to have to wait another 5 to 6 weeks for this bike---but I have already waited a long time for the wife to give her thumbs up anyway (took a while for her to be convinced that I was serious about this biking thing). I was blown away at the quality of components on this bike for the price---and was very impressed with the reviews I found on the internet. I'm excited!! Come on April!!!!
http://www.hunt101.com/img/477162.jpg

COLOR
Semi-Matte Black

WEIGHT
18.0 lbs.

FEATURES OVER F75
Felt 1.3 butted alloy handlebar, Shimano Dura-Ace dual control levers and derailleurs, Shimano 2/pc Ultegra crankset and BB, Shimano SLR dual pivot brakes, Felt 1.1 leather racing saddle, Felt 1.1 Monocoque carbon seatpost, Mavic Aksium wheelset w/Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick tires

FRAME
Felt Exclusive 7005 Superlite custom-butted aluminum frame with carbon fiber wishbone seatstays. Externally relieved integrated head tube, machined bottom bracket, forged dropouts with replaceable hanger and internal brake cable routing

FORK
Felt Custom-Designed High Modulus Carbon Fiber 1.3 Fork with Carbon Steerer

DRIVETRAIN
Shimano Dura-Ace 20-speed shifters and derailleurs, Shimano Ultegra Crankset with 53/39T Chainrings, Shimano cassette and Chain

WHEELSET
Mavic Aksium wheelset, Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick Tires

COMPONENTS
Felt 1.3 6061 Double Butted Alloy Bar, Felt 1.2 3D-Forged Stem, Felt 1.1 Saddle with Carbon Injected Base, Felt 1.2 Carbon Seatpost, Shimano SLR Brakeset

MSRP: $1999.99

scottogo 02-26-07 06:32 PM

Congratulations! Hope the days speed by.

bobby c 02-26-07 06:42 PM

Nice!!!

CrossChain 02-26-07 07:28 PM

Glad you felt good about your final choice!

Floyd 02-26-07 07:49 PM

Sounds and looks like you got a good one...let us know the scoop when it comes.

pedal lber 02-26-07 10:38 PM

Looks like a great bike! :D Tough part is waiting for it to show up. :(

bruce19 02-27-07 07:25 AM

Seems like a really nice bike and a good price. Like most of us, I rode steel (TSX) for years then about 2 yrs. ago bought an all TI LeMond. Nice bike but the TI frame felt a little "twitchy" to me on downhills. From the beginning I had avoided Aluminum frames. Hated the unforgiving nature of the ride. Last year I got a Masi Gran Criterium S as a 60th birthday present. It, like your bike, is Aluminum with Carbon front and rear. What a nice ride! Suits me just fine. I thnk you will like your ride as well. Hope so.

jppe 02-27-07 10:17 AM

Excellent, excellent choice! A terrific combination of performance and comfort with terrific components to boot.

Congratulations!!

webist 02-27-07 10:24 AM

A really great deal! It is painful to wait though. Isn't it?

stapfam 02-27-07 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webist
A really great deal! It is painful to wait though. Isn't it?

No its not- You now have 6 weeks to sort out the matching riding kit- and the Shoes, and pour over the maps to find the routes in your area that are suitable for a bike of this stature. Then there is the 6 weeks of adjusting the bike to fit, and changing the odd part here and there and then running in the wheel bearings and bottom bracket.

End of february now- 3 months on- so How old are you?---As your first major trip out on it.

cyclezen 02-27-07 01:25 PM

schweet!

btw - which 'size' did you settle on?

sour01 02-27-07 01:33 PM

I got the 63cm frame. This bike shop already did a much better job of beginning the fitting process than did the store I bought my first bike from in '84. Told me to bring all my riding gear when the bike does get in and he will rescan and---as he said---go "old school" with me riding it on a trainer. I was impressed!!

HAMMER MAN 02-27-07 01:39 PM

outstanding and great components. enjoy many rides

stapfam 02-27-07 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sour01
I got the 63cm frame. This bike shop already did a much better job of beginning the fitting process than did the store I bought my first bike from in '84. Told me to bring all my riding gear when the bike does get in and he will rescan and---as he said---go "old school" with me riding it on a trainer. I was impressed!!

Now that appears to be a shop that is going to care for its customers. Well done on the bike but very well done on finding the shop.

Paydirt 02-27-07 08:12 PM

I almost bought a 2006 closeout of the F55 but it was a little too big. I rode it and it was a great ride with components that couldn't be beat, just a little too big. Best bike for the money I ever saw. Then a demo carbon DBR came up in the right size and the right price. Didn't weigh any less and rode about the same. Good choice!

SemperFi 03-03-07 11:16 AM

Hope you enjoy it...looks like a great ride!