Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wonderful bike!

I got my buyers guide from Bicycling mag in the mail last night. I had to sit right down and look, but it acutally didn't take me very long, I had no envy, I absolutely love my bike. The more I ride it the more I like it. I know there are better bikes out there, but just not for me. How lucky can a girl get?!?

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not lucky. You're wise.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have to go buy one today and see which 'bents they covered.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnH
    I got my buyers guide from Bicycling mag in the mail last night. I had to sit right down and look, but it acutally didn't take me very long, I had no envy, I absolutely love my bike. The more I ride it the more I like it.
    I've had the same experience with my bike...a Rivendell Rambouillet. When I got it, I hoped it would take care of all my needs. What happened was that it lived up to that hope, plus I've lost complete interest in even looking at other bikes. The only exception is a Colnago C50. So, I know how you feel...and it feels great!!!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But, but, you didn't say what your wonderful bike is!

It is great to be satisfied with something. I have a few hobbies where I'm quite satisfied with what I have and I don't bother to survey new gear.

But I must admit that there are times when I enjoy the "hunt" for new stuff.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    If they mentioned any at all, it'd be something utterly boring, like a Sun EZ-1. Reviewing something like my Baron would give them a serious case of speed envy, which of course they could never admit to - the last staff member who wrote glowing words about bents was fired shortly thereafter. I don't even read them for free at the book store anymore - it's just not worth my time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    But, but, you didn't say what your wonderful bike is!
    I was up in Oregon last summer on business, and snapped a shot of Lynn as she rode past our Motel 6 suite...I couldn't make out the down tube logo, but nice bike, toots!!!
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-04-07 at 09:55 AM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    If they mentioned any at all, it'd be something utterly boring, like a Sun EZ-1. Reviewing something like my Baron would give them a serious case of speed envy, which of course they could never admit to - the last staff member who wrote glowing words about bents was fired shortly thereafter. I don't even read them for free at the book store anymore - it's just not worth my time.
    Sorry to bring facts into your rant, but here is what they listed on page 106. Rans Rocket, Catrike 700, Calfee Stiletto. I also remember a feature on recumbents a few issues ago. But of course, you wouldn't have seen that either.

I guess the format they have been using the last few years works to give an overall view of what types of bikes are on the market, but I miss the old style where they listed every model by every brand on the market.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Rans Rocket, Catrike 700, Calfee Stiletto. I also remember a feature on recumbents a few issues ago. But of course, you wouldn't have seen that either.
    I'm surprised. And you're right; I wouldn't have seen it. The article could have been condescending trash for all I know - they've done that before, too. Considering their history, it'll take about ten years for them to prove they've changed for the better and I bother with them.
    Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-01-07 at 05:19 AM.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my buyers guide from Bicycling mag in the mail last night. I had to sit right down and look, but it acutally didn't take me very long, I had no envy, I absolutely love my bike. The more I ride it the more I like it. I know there are better bikes out there, but just not for me. How lucky can a girl get?!?
    When it comes to telling us what the "best" bike is the mags have no clue because they don't know "us." I don't read the bicycle mags and I don't read the motorcycle mags for the same reason. They have no connection with my life.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of the time I went to my first Northwest Tandem Rally. Everybody's on Santanas and Co-Motions, all with the same geometry, the long stoker compartment, all with the same lateral tube ending at the rear bb, and with the disk brakes. I was quite happy to be on the obsolete, too-short, steel Kuwahara just because it looked a little different (like tandems looked back in the 70's). The bike has character. And everybody's ogling the shiny new tandems the manufacturers had on display, but I couldn't really have cared less.

I guess at some point you reach some level of maturity with your bikes, and you start to see just how futile is this lust for acquisition of the latest & greatest. This probably starts sometime after you've reached 50. And this is odd for me, because when I was a young racer, I had always wanted a set of expensive Campagnolo Record brakes, but I could never afford them. I figured if I was good enough, I'd win a set, and that really, the only people who could justify owning a set of the best brakes in the world were older guys who had the money, and besides, they had nothing else to live for anyway... So now that I'm one of these older guys, I've got the Campag brakes, but I'm happy with the cheap Centaurs.

- L.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one who is truly wealthy is the one content with his lot. I am willing to venture and say that you find satisfaction in many other things about you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
    when I was a young racer, I had always wanted a set of expensive Campagnolo Record brakes, but I could never afford them.
    A sure sign you're a fast rider...you lust after brakes! I never go fast enough to even think about having to slow down!!!
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 02-28-07 at 10:05 AM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is only one thing I look at in a bike- Is it better than the one I have got and will it make me a better rider. Not very often that occurs so I stay with the bike I have got. Mind you- I still lust after the Whyte 46 that I test rode 4 years ago but will never be able to afford.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Big Paulie, I really do need to do a pic and post for the rogue gallery, this should be some incentive. I ride a Scott Contessa Speedster, it is lovely.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, I don't look at new bikes as a replacement for my current bikes, but as companions.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a Scott Contessa Speedster, it is lovely.
    No wonder you're so damn happy!
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-04-07 at 09:55 AM.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The secret to true happiness in bicycling (or anything else) is to like what you have. I do.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    Save your money. They covered a Catrike and a maybe a few others and that's it.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anybody else's 50+ eyes and brains have trouble telling which pages were advertisements and which pages were actual content?

I gotta agree with BP; the magazine is a waste of trees.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Hey, she can't ride THAT one. There are no pedals. Well I guess she could ride it down hill.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it........... trash Bicycling just before my free subscription, from my Performance team membership, shows up.

Part of the problem of just starting riding two and a half years ago is the fact that I'm probably going to be lusting after new bikes for quite a while yet.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Klein GaryFisher Cannondale Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real nice.Love your bike. I like building bikes. I should sell some of them but am too attached. My work mate asked how I decide which to ride on a given day. When starting my pre-dawn commute its important to choose one with air in the tires! Somedays I'll take a jaunt through the woods or pick the urban technical route. Somedays I get on the road and try to pace with the fast colnagos (sp) and young guys in lycra. I love it when they speed up to lose the old white bearded guy in cargo shorts on a bike older than they are! To get back on track I can always find another bike that I love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That issue is the perfect marketing ploy. Everyone grabs it to see if thier bike was one of choosen ones and what they think of it. Then if it's not listed you think well maybe you should check these other rides out. Used it to kill some time on a 5 hour plane ride today.

The article without any technical details on what Shimano is doing to get the 161 million non bicyle riders back in the game was kind of interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Hmmmm, nice white bike. Who's trying to get rid of those white bike shoes??????????
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast