Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Any suggestions for easy tire changing tool? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/273167-any-suggestions-easy-tire-changing-tool.html)

Tom Bombadil 02-27-07 09:26 PM

Any suggestions for easy tire changing tool?

I have tendonitis in my fingers and find it extremely difficult to remove and mount tires. I have a couple sets of the typical tire levers, but was wondering if there are any tools that make this job easier.

Digital Gee 02-27-07 10:06 PM

Cell phone with the number of a local taxi company, and the number of the LBS. :D

oilman_15106 02-27-07 10:11 PM

Well you're not going to stick this in your saddle bag, but this is one of those "why didn't I think of this 10 years ago" tools. All I can say is this thing works. Put a set of steel bead tires on my son's bike in no time flat. http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=17&item=TL-10

Got mine from Bike Tires Direct.

dminor 02-27-07 10:12 PM

Motorcycle tire irons work a lot better than those short, wimpy bicycle ones.

Also, the AC Quick Stik is great for easily getting tires off rims:

http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Pr...9830534850.jpg

Tom Bombadil 02-27-07 10:35 PM

Two quick, solid suggestions.

Even that large Park Tool is a possibility. My bent has a large basket on the back. And what's another 11 ounces on a 40 pound bent?

Glewis333 02-27-07 10:41 PM

Try the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. Easy to use, lightweight and cheap. Same tool for taking off and putting the tire back on. I've always hated changing a tire but with the speed lever, it's almost fun. Check one out at CBO website http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...e=1&filter=yes, or at your LBS.

zonatandem 02-27-07 10:45 PM

Crank Brothers (of pedal fame) make a very nice, easy to use compact single lever tool called the Speedlever.

CRUM 02-27-07 11:47 PM

I say ride with a friend who likes to show off their "mechanical know how". Then you have the ultimate tool. Actually though, practicing at home makes it all go easier on the road or trail.

Tom Bombadil 02-27-07 11:53 PM

I not only ride alone, but I usually ride on a trail that has few others on it. If I fell and broke a leg, it could literally be hours before anyone came by me. So I do try to remember to take my cell phone with me.

Tom Bombadil 02-28-07 12:02 AM

I found this article on how the Crank Brothers Speed Lever works:
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001005.php

Seems promising.

sour01 02-28-07 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by dminor
Motorcycle tire irons work a lot better than those short, wimpy bicycle ones.

Also, the AC Quick Stik is great for easily getting tires off rims:

http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Pr...9830534850.jpg

+1 on the Quick Stik. It is all I have ever used. Does a great job and easy to carry.

Terex 02-28-07 06:30 AM

You may not have as many options with your rim size, but look for tires that are looser than the ones you have now. On regular road bikes, there are many combinations or rims and tires, some of which allow tires to be easily mounted by hand, and some are terribly tight.

PaulH 02-28-07 07:47 AM

Credit card.

Paul

LastPlace 02-28-07 09:40 AM

I was unable to get the links poster earlier to work, so I may be repeating what others have said but the best tool I have found is a 'TIRE BEAD JACK'. I don't have a picture but it cost me about ten dollars at the lbs that ordered it for me. It is for remounting a tire but doesn't help with getting a tire off the rim. Also, I put some vaseline on the last part of the rim that I'm trying to push the bite back onto.

As for getting the tire off, I would suggest a longer tire lever than the smaller ones people usually carry. The picture posted by sour01 seems to be a longet unit.

Just Google 'Tire Bead Jack'. Ten dollars and about three ounces.

DnvrFox 02-28-07 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by LastPlace
I was unable to get the links poster earlier to work, so I may be repeating what others have said but the best tool I have found is a 'TIRE BEAD JACK'. I don't have a picture but it cost me about ten dollars at the lbs that ordered it for me. It is for remounting a tire but doesn't help with getting a tire off the rim. Also, I put some vaseline on the last part of the rim that I'm trying to push the bite back onto.

As for getting the tire off, I would suggest a longer tire lever than the smaller ones people usually carry. The picture posted by sour01 seems to be a longet unit.

Just Google 'Tire Bead Jack'. Ten dollars and about three ounces.

I guess I would comment that with proper technique, removing and mounting a tire is not a big job, and generally does not require any equipment other than your hands.

Of course, this would NOT apply to someone who has tendonitis - a different story.

But, I can't believe all the folks who have specialized equipment for what is a pretty easy and simple operation. You can't all have tendonitis?

I can even get my Specialized Armadillos (as tough as they get) on and off without tools, and that is four different tires on two different sets of rims.

stapfam 02-28-07 10:26 AM

I have a variety of rims and a variety of tyres. Some of those rims are tight and some of the tyres are tight. There is the option of fitting a loose tyre to a small rim but this will take a bit of trial and error to get the right combination.

Worst combination I have is fitting a Kevlar beaded tyre to a Mavic 217 rim. I can do it but I gave an old tyre to a friend and fitted it on his wheel. Unfortunately-the tyre went down at the friends house before the next ride and he broke his new set of tyre levers in trying to get the tyre off the rim.

John E 02-28-07 10:58 AM

stapfam is right about the differences among various tyre/rim combinations. My own worst nightmare combination is Continental tires on my Bianchi's Campagnolo Omega rims. I find having three steel (not aluminum, not plastic) tire levers with spoke notches helps immensely, but it's still a bit of a battle.

In contrast, I don't even bother to carry tire levers on my mountain bike; when deflated, my Bontrager tires practically fall off my Ritchey rims.

CharlesC 02-28-07 12:46 PM

Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned that pinching the tire bead together to let it drop into the rim's center smaller diameter makes removing and installing tires much easier. Once the tire is in the small diameter I can usually pull a tire off the rim without using levers. IMHO, if you need to really pry hard to remove a tire something is wrong. When I need to use a lever I hook it under the bead and push it along the rim just like the pneumatic tool tire stores use to install car tires. I remove the tube's valve stem first with removing a tube and install it first when reinstalling a partially inflated tube. Partially inflating the tube before installling will help avoid pinches and twists in the tube. If I need a lever the small black ones that nest together work fine. I have not had any more trouble with Kevlar beaded tires than wire beaded ones if the proper technique is used.

Bud Bent 02-28-07 02:11 PM

CharlesC is right; pinching to make sure the tire beads are centered, and unset, helps. But, some tire and wheel combinations are really tough even with good technique. I stopped and changed a flat a couple of months ago for a woman who couldn't get her tire off, and I had a tougher time than with any I've owned. I actually had to use the tire levers to get the tire back on. I don't remember ever having to do that with any of my own tires. I've also seen a few in club rides that almost defied being removed.

dminor 02-28-07 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
But, I can't believe all the folks who have specialized equipment for what is a pretty easy and simple operation. You can't all have tendonitis?

No, but I've had wire bead Michelin DH tires on Mammoth rims.

bkaapcke 02-28-07 02:27 PM

Tom, riding a LWB bent (Sun EZ Sport) raised hell with the tendons in my fingers and forearms. The problem was I had to extend my arms to reach the H-bars. The stock ones were too short. I had some new bars made which are 4 1/2 inches longer than Suns bars. This allowed my upper arms to be vertical while riding, which solved the problem. Some people are using the K-Alloy stem to bring the bars closer.
I also used foam pipe insulation from the hardware store for hand grips. Much softer. bk

stapfam 02-28-07 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesC
Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned that pinching the tire bead together to let it drop into the rim's center smaller diameter makes removing and installing tires much easier. Once the tire is in the small diameter I can usually pull a tire off the rim without using levers. IMHO, if you need to really pry hard to remove a tire something is wrong. When I need to use a lere lever I hook it under the bead and push it along the rim just like the pneumatic tool tire stores use to install car tires. I remove the tube's valve stem first with removing a tube and install it first when reinstalling a partially inflated tube. Partially inflating the tube before installling will help avoid pinches and twists in the tube. If I need a lever the small black ones that nest together work fine. I have not had any more trouble with Kevlar beaded tires than wire beaded ones if the proper technique is used.

Was going to mention it- until I remembered that I use Velo tape that takes up a fair amount of the centre smaller diameter. I have a tight set of slicks that I fit on the Mavic EX729 rims and these are tight. I insert one tyre lever to tension the bead and then I can push the remaining bead into the Centre of the rim to get it off. Getting that tyre back on that rim will still take a lot of leverage though on a Lever. And as to those Michelin DH tyres- Forget it.

Tom Bombadil 02-28-07 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Tom, riding a LWB bent (Sun EZ Sport) raised hell with the tendons in my fingers and forearms. The problem was I had to extend my arms to reach the H-bars. The stock ones were too short. I had some new bars made which are 4 1/2 inches longer than Suns bars. This allowed my upper arms to be vertical while riding, which solved the problem. Some people are using the K-Alloy stem to bring the bars closer.
I also used foam pipe insulation from the hardware store for hand grips. Much softer. bk

I haven't had opportunity to see how I react to the handlebars on extended riding. It has been cold and snowy since I bought it. I'll file away your suggestions for later consideration.

I'm familar with the foam pipe insulation. That is great stuff. I used to have "swordfights" with my daughters with 3'-4' lengths of that stuff. It absorbs energy better than anything I've ever played with. You can whack somebody really hard and it doesn't hurt.

oilman_15106 02-28-07 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I found this article on how the Crank Brothers Speed Lever works:
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001005.php

Seems promising.

Looks functionally the same idea as the Parks tool only 20 bucks less and it kind of is compact.

LastPlace 02-28-07 09:11 PM

Sorry to sound like a broken record........but.....

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Mercha...roduct_Count=7

Works great...........