User Tag List

My Bikes
    dawes, schwinn, kona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning my Metric Birthday Ride

So, I'll be 62 on April 7th. Years ago I could easily do a birthday ride of at least my age in miles, but a long hiatus and two strokes make it unlikely that I can go 62 miles on April 7th. However, thanks to the wonders of the metric system, 62 kilometers is a much more reachable goal (38.5 miles). I will have all of March to build up to that distance, in fact I rode 17 miles today.. so it should be easy, just a little regular riding ( as opposed to my spotty record for the first two months of 2007, but we won't discuss that!).

I added some bar ends to the riser bar on my Kona Dew Deluxe (a fashion faux pas if there ever was one), but mounted them inboard after the grips, just to give an alternate hand position. On today's ride they worked great and my right hand did not cramp up, so that problem is solved. (Now I can immediately practice the banjo when I get back from riding.... my wife just loves that!). I am also thinking of taking the 35 year old Brooks B-17 off my Dawes and trying it on the Kona....not sure about doing that since the Dawes is all wrapped up and stored away...

So, I am planning to get my best fred cycling clothes ready and roll a whopping 38.5 miles on April 7th.. when it will be warm, sunny, and I can start collecting my Social Security http://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Anyway, just wanted to announce my committment to the world (as least the 50+ BF world), so that I will follow through with the plan... and maybe go on to a century (metric first, then a mile century).

The main thing is... keep moving.

Have fun,

Pete

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great plan, Pete. Just start riding and keep riding until you make your goal. Be sure to have pie ready at the conclusion. Good luck getting your SS set up.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    dawes, schwinn, kona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, tic20010. It is probably not worth the trouble to get the SS. I retired under civil service and only paid into SS for a few years way back when, and I can only get a small percentage of the normal SS cuz of the "windfall" provision of Civil Service Retirement. Still, it could buy a lot of pie....

Pete

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, Pete. As regular readers know, I am a BIG fan of old Brooks saddles; my favorite is the same age as yours, with close to 50k mi / 80k km on it. Now THAT's durability! It has outlived my Nishiki frame and one of my two Peugeot UO-8 frames and currently looks right at home on my 1959 Capo.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck on your ride and if you feel that you cannot do imperial- then don't worry if you are doing Metric. This year I actually did mine on a road bike and for me- that was a doddle. Year before I had done it half offroad and the the rest on tarmac- but on knobblies. I did not feel that I could have done it all offroad but it was a spur of the moment 59 miles once I realised how near I was to doing it.

Good way to get the distance in with some pleasure is to find a cafe at around 40 kms- and get a coffee and pie in. Pics will be required- of the pie and the bike on the route so take the camera.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very innovative approach!!! I don't care who disagrees, we will approve it as an official Birthday ride. But we will hold you to the 30+ miles!!! But then again your going to do what you feel like doing anyway

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great ride!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.