Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cured hand pain.

No photo's as it is now persisting down and I am soaked. I have had a problem with the new road bike in that I have been getting some hand pain. Didn't matter whether it was on the top of the bars or the hoods- within a couple of miles of starting the ride -the hands were hurting. Obviously a fit problem but I cured the problem today- I fitted a new stem to raise the bars. The old stem was 80mm and a 4 degree rise. The new one is 100mm and 10 degree rise. Only went for a 5 mile pootle after work but the hand pain is no longer there. Just a tiny amount of extra rise and the 20mm extra stem length has only just moved the bars forward a little. I know that 5 miles is not a certainty that the problem is cured- but in that 5 miles- I can assure you it is.

Luckily I knew the size stem I wanted by working out what the probem was and what would cure it- But anyone experiencing hand pain should think about getting an adjustable stem to put the bars in the right place.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with the same solution...raise the bars and move them outward.

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    The new one is 100mm and 10 degree rise. Only went for a 5 mile pootle after work but the hand pain is no longer there.
    It's amazing what a small change in position will do for you!