Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer Tour/Trip Plans ??

Summer fast approaches. I lost a lot of last summer riding time due to shoulder surgery and want to make up for it. So I am trying to decide upon a week to ten day ride/tour. Would be fun to be meeting up with Hammer Boy on the Souther Teir, but this isn't the year for it. I have one credit card tour of two days planned for spring. I plan on one short supported tour of probably three, maybe four days, in the home area. I would like to take two big trips but my wife and son and daughter-in-law have reminded me that we have one of those big numbered anniversaries this summer. So I have narrowed my one week-ten days away from home to the following options.

1) Ireland - One week unsupported/credit across --fly into Galway, take pedals,saddle, and panniers, rent the bike (Saracen-hyrid 8 speed or Raleight touring) and spend six to seven days touring the south end. I have had several communications with a bike shop in Ireland and this could be a really easy and fun tour. If not this summer, probably next.

2) Oklahoma Freewheel - very convenient,starts about 100 miles from my house-goes south to north to Coffeyville, KS-first half will be traveling acres and acres of nothing but acres...have seen most Oklahoma before.

3) B. A. K. (Bike Across Kansas) interesting and I can probably do it but will need to train a little harder. Its a long way across Kansas, Toto. I figure you either love or hate this trip. I've also seen most of Kansas before. Would also probably require two days on each end to get to the shuttle point, then shuttle to the start, then reverse the process at the end.

4) Katy Trail - had this 250+ mile rail-trail trip planned for last summer but did shoulder surgery the week of the trip. Its not too far from home to drive, and Mrs. Mono could also go on her Giant Cypress or provide SAG so I could sample the wine shops at night. This would be a trip on MTB with slicks.

5) GITAP - Grand Illinois Trail and Park tour also sounds like fun, ride the hybrid or mountain bike. I've not seen much of Illinois.

6) Touring Ride in Rural Indiana---right now leaning toward this for a week in the summer. Its a ride to a park, then local tour the next days, then another park, local tour...etc. I like the low key riding pressure and staying in one place for two days. Full SAG support. You can also stay in the park inns every night or so for a more civilized living style just in case you find some wine you want to sample. This trip might also be the least hassle as far as getting there with the bike. Right now I think I can roll on my bike at Amtrak in Fort Worth and roll off the next morning about 12 miles from the start of the tour. This means I could get everything I need in two panniers and bed/tent roll. Stepping off a train in Indianapolis wearing funny clothes and riding a bike is a little intimidating but my experience is that if anything goes wrong you can always get home with an American Express and a few dollars in cash.

So many options...so little time.

I would appreciate opinions from anyone as well as hearing if you have any summer tour plans.
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 03-03-07 at 09:29 AM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to do TRIRI, let me know. I did it last year and loved it and plan to return this year.

Here's a little photo essay I put together from last year's event:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1750&v=oj
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have tour planned and I will be on holiday when my annual big ride comes up.

My holiday is going to be in France and I will be staying near Mt. Ventoux that is on the TDF route. Guess where I'll be going one morning? By bike of course.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing much. Just looking to stick my bike on the front of a bus, going down to the Golden Gate Bridge and riding the 56 lumpy miles home. As far as tours I live where people come to tour.
    This space open

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That TRIRI sounds like a good deal, but my vacations are all planned for this year. So i will be touring around town to get my exercize...things are always happening so the scenery changes once in a while.

My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Trek Pilot 5.2 and Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to sign up for the Wyoming tour the other night. It filled up within 45 minutes. If I do well on it I am thinkiing of trying one in Colorado next year. There is a new one this year in North Dakato in June that I am giving a lot of thought to.

http://www.cyclewyoming.org/tour.htm#2007

http://www.rribt.com/

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife & I will do a combo of # 7 and/or # 3 in Holland first week of July:

http://holland.cyclingaroundtheworld...gDistance.html

Credit card tour on rented bikes...visiting historic gardens, enjoying the flat countryside. I'm teaching in Duesseldorf the month of June so our cost is lower to be able to do a 'first' European (or anywhere) bike tour.

Next year I plan to do one of the rides you are considering: I'd love to do the Oklahoma tour and it's only a 4 or 5 hour drive from here. My lovely wife doesn't like to camp so I'll probably do it on my own.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jet Travis, I really enjoyed the photo essay of your Indiana ride, thanks for posting it

My trip of a life time (so far) is coming up in May, a few days in Rome followed by two weeks of cycling in the Umbria region of Italy. Should be able to follow at least one stage of the Giro d'Ialia

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to be cycling the the Great Allegheny Passage http://www.atatrail.org/ from Pittsburgh to Cumberland in May. Did the C&O from Cumberland to DC last May.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    If you decide to do TRIRI, let me know. I did it last year and loved it and plan to return this year.

Here's a little photo essay I put together from last year's event:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1750&v=oj

I loved your report. This is one ride I hope to do someday....just don't have the time this year.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm registered to do XOBA (Across Ohio Bike Adventure) in July with a couple friends from the volunteer group. This will be the first multi-day tour for me.
    http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/xoba/register2007.htm

I'm also planning another 7 day tour in August with friends from the cycling club. It's along the western shore of Lake Michigan. This one involves tent camping - we'll see how that goes since I'm not much of a camper
    http://www.lmb.org/pages/Events/ShorelinePages/West.htm

The end of August I'll be traveling to Philadelphia to do another Livestrong ride. This year they promise Lance will be there. I did this last year and had a wonderful time. I'll be prepared for those hills this year!

Of course there will be the usual club rides, the weekly "Bike for the Health of It" program for the parks and plenty of one-day rides sponsored by local clubs and organizations. I'm even thinking of attempting the "Hilly Hundred" in neighboring Indiana this year.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you people take some major tours. I've been reading about the C & O canal path and thinking of a major tour in my mind. Riding from Williamsport, MD to Antietam and back, stay in motel for night, then ride about 25 miles west and back. I consider my bike loaded for touring when I take 2 water bottles.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    I'm registered to do XOBA (Across Ohio Bike Adventure) in July with a couple friends from the volunteer group. This will be the first multi-day tour for me.
    http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/xoba/register2007.htm
    I'm signed up for XOBA, this will be my 3rd. You'll like it, it's a great ride.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Katy Trail several years ago. I started in St. Charles (the Eastern end), and went to the western end and back. It's a fun ride. I did it on a hybrid with no problem. Stayed in Motels and B&B's along the way. One of my "maybe" tours this year is to take Amtrak to Sedalia MO, then bike the Katy back to St. Charles, bike on into St. Louis and pick up the new Route 66 Bike Route from St. Louis to Chicago, then go on over to Michigan.

Have done the Grand Illinois Trail. It's fun also, has some nice hills in the NW corner of IL. Part trail and part road. The Hennepin Canal and I&M Canal trails pretty much get you across IL on the southern part of the route. It's another maybe for me this year, but pretty far down my list. It's definately doable on a hybrid.

My ambitious trip this year is to bike around Lake MI. I have the route planned, with stops. I have biked around most of it, and it is a lot of fun. Lots of lighthouses, some hills, and nice little towns along the shoreline. It is my first choice.

Another possibility I have looked at is to drive to Minneapolis, the bike back to MI through Wisconsin doing a lot of their trails along the way. That is currently my #2 choice.

My other option is to bike to DC from here in MI. Not as many miles as around Lake Michigan, but I'd be doing a route I have never ridden before. I'd do the trails from Pittsburgh to DC. Driving to Cleveland and Pittsburgh next week to see what my route I had looked at is like. After that I'll make up my mind.

When I decide I plan to put it on www.crazyguyonabike.com. Lots of good touring stuff there.

Nice thread.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Louis and Beverly--You've really got me thinking about XOBA. I've got two other friends who are doing it, and I'd love to connect with you guys somewhere along the way. Louis, can you give a brief description of the vibe?
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Great!! I look forward to the chance to meet another BF member. This will be the 2nd for one lady in our group. Hopefully she won't need to cancel since she's presently experiencing some back problems. Her doctor says he can have everything fixed in time for the ride.

I see the registration for the ride has closed. I'm glad I decided to register early.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be doing BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) in June. http://www.brag.org/brag.html
    This will be my 15th time. That may sound like I'm in a rut, but until I retire in 5 years, this is the only weeklong ride that works for me and the family. Besides, the combination of familiar logistics, varying routes each year, old friends and new faces works well for me and is far from boring. This year my son will ride with me the full week. A few of my club members are going for the first time and my wife will meet us at the end in Savannah.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2 canondale road bikes, one modified for touring, one virgin. Co-Motion Nor'wester on order now (2/5/06)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done TRIRI a couple of times, once in the SW part of the state and once in the NE part, the folks who run that ride do a great job, you'll enjoy it. I also did the Shoreline West tour a few years ago and the LMB does a good job, too. Triri and the LMB rides were two of the best I've ever done.

This year, I'm doing BRAG with my kids, and the Adventure Cycling "Farm Fresh" tour in northern California with a bunce of people who were with me on the cross-country ACA ride last summer.

On my wish list are the KATY trial and the Southern Tier. Don't know when that might happen.
    Life is simple- Eat, Sleep, Ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OBXBIKR: what part of the Outer Banks are you from? We make about four trips to Ocracoke every summer.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to meeting Beverly and any other BF'ers who are riding across the top of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis
    Louis and Beverly--You've really got me thinking about XOBA. I've got two other friends who are doing it, and I'd love to connect with you guys somewhere along the way. Louis, can you give a brief description of the vibe?
    XOBA is different from many other week-long group rides because:
    The rider limit is 200.
    It averages about 60 miles per day.
    No organized rest stops, riders are "on their own" to stop wherever they want for whatever they want.
    There are no vendors at campsites. After arriving at camp, riders must walk or bike for food or beer, uh, I mean drink. (Some folks call for pizza delivery)
    Due to the bare bones nature of this ride, it does not appeal to families. It seems to be 95% adults.
    Although there are the normal amount of "hammerheads", there are many more riders like myself who are not trying to race.

Jet: True, the ride filled up early this year, but they are holding overflow applications to fill all cancellations. It's still possible to get a slot on the roster. In past years, the ride did not max out until May or June. Go figure. Bummer.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5) GITAP - Grand Illinois Trail and Park tour also sounds like fun, ride the hybrid or mountain bike. I've not seen much of Illinois.
    Here is our log of the whole Grand Illinois Trail. It had a nice mix of hills and flats. Parts of it will be covered on this year's GITAP.

My wife and I have been talking about riding the roads and trails WI this year. The Elroy-Sparta area was one that sounded interesting for a mix of hilly roads and flat trails. Another thought was riding from Milwaukee to LaCross. That would take a little more planning.
    L

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, now am going to have to add C&O/Allegheny to my list. Since I'm a Civil War and American history student/b uff there could be some good possibilities here. Also, I have vacationed twice in D.C. and still haven't seen everything I wish to.
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 03-05-07 at 08:16 AM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No official tours or organized events. But I have five 3-day weekends on the calendar for going to towns in Minnesota & Wisconsin to ride trails and visit small towns. They all follow the same general model - drive 75 to 200 miles on Friday morning, take a nice ride that afternoon, stay at a low-cost motel, eat at a country or ethnic restaurant, ride some more on Saturday, enjoy Saturday evening, ride some more Sunday morning.

I may park at a bike depot that allows overnight parking, ride out 30-40 or whatever miles to stay overnight in a small town, ride back the next day.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Trek Pilot 5.2 and Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycle
    Here is our log of the whole Grand Illinois Trail. It had a nice mix of hills and flats. Parts of it will be covered on this year's GITAP.

My wife and I have been talking about riding the roads and trails WI this year. The Elroy-Sparta area was one that sounded interesting for a mix of hilly roads and flat trails. Another thought was riding from Milwaukee to LaCross. That would take a little more planning.
    L
    Do you know if you can ride the GITAP with a road bike, or will a hybrid be needed?

I rode Elroy-Sparta last year on the hottest day of the year and still loved it. Make sure you bring a light for the tunnels.

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plan to do Bike Virginia in June.

I rode "Bike Virginia" last year and had a very good time in this very well organized event. It fits in with a visit to see the grandkids and the ocean.

Jim
    New Mexico

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast