Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retirement Ready (A Bit too excited!)

Wow. Don't you love it when the stars align and things progress smoothly and unexpectedly. Retirement is rapidly approaching (June) and I have been planning my first big unsupported to the Baja. I was planning on using my MTB until I attended the Toronto Bike Show on Friday. We had just experienced a nasty winter storm; snow, ice, freezing rain and rain and I was ready to take the train to the show. I decided to drive instead and boy.....am I glad I did. I had the opportunity to pick up a Devinci Destination for $1000.00 Canadian. I thought this was a good deal. I waited and walked around a bit more and came upon a smaller booth that also had a Destination. Perfect size, great parts and the price new.... $750 Canadian taxes in. I bought it, took it home and placed it in the kitchen with a sign saying Happy Birthday (from my wife). When I came home from Hockey the wife was in tears. Tears of joy and tears of wondering if I would be touring the world for the rest of my life.
    Retirement, here I come. Time to actually ride, ride, ride.
    Hockey

My Bikes
    Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooooh boy..... I'm salivating right along with you. I'm about 10 months behind you in the retirement line and am just itching to jump on that bike and go, go, go! Best of luck and enjoy that Destination!

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devinci makes very nice bikes and I have been tempted to get a road bike. What is the Destination?

Been retired for two months now, and loving it. Not much cycling in February, though.

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Devinci Destination has been renamed Caribou 1 for 2007. It is an aluminum touring bike. Check out their site. http://www.devinci.com/en/archives.html
    Hockey

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a new road bike with my first Social Security Check. Now when we pass the SS office on some rides, I remind my younger riders to leave a deposit for me!!!! Oh it pi*ses them off!! HEEEEEEEE!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm ready for retirement too. Or at least a nice 2-3 month vacation.

Only 10 more years to go.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I'm ready for retirement too. Or at least a nice 2-3 month vacation.

Only 10 more years to go.
    I'm right there with you, Tom. Or maybe it's 20 or 30 years to go.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband will retire mid-July and I will be right behind him the end of July. I have to wait for his City health care to kick in for me on July 31, otherwise I would be gone the same exact day as him. I can't wait until I can just look out the door and say "yes, I think I will go for a ride right now". I plan on doing a whole lot more riding and once we move up to Rocklin, it will open up a whole new world of riding for us. Can't wait to get on that river trail and start exploring. We may never get off our bikes except to go home and feed the animals. We plan on doing a lot of things that we have never been able to do, once in a life time things, like go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks. I hate leaving my animals behind but I'm sure if we find someone trust worthy to look after them I won't have to worry as much. I am counting down the days on my calendar!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once took a 4-week leave. It was incredible. I wish it were easier to do these things. I've always been of a mind that if one took a 4-8 week break every 5 years or so, that they would be a more productive person over the long haul. I've been thinking of asking to go on a 50% appointment for two months, taking 4 weeks of my accumulated vacation to turn it into a 2 month break at half pay, then going back to 100% when I got back.

You don't really lose that much money when you give up a month's pay, once you take into consideration that you be paying less taxes and social security. And at my place of employment, you retain your insurance benefits when on a 50% appointment.

Tempting, very tempting.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy the retirement and the new bike!

I only have 690 days till retirement but who's counting
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I retired at 62 and I wish I could of done it at 52. About the only thing that gets me ticked off is I wish I started riding sooner.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing the countdown thing as I write ONE month today colour me gone at this time next month I'll be into at least my second scotch. My work partner will be sitting beside me doing the same thing for the same reason as we decided to both retire on the same day indepedent of each other.She mention one day in passing last fall that she would be retiring in the beginning of April and I started to laugh and said I was thinking of going on the third and she said that was the day she was thinking of too!So we have both been counting down since and been wishing it would come faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be retiring in 2 or 3 years, but....I'm not quite so unwaveringly eager to go. I teach and no matter what pleasures may await me after retirement, I'll very much miss an active and serious engagement with young people. No doubt I'll volunteer, and will enjoy that, but not quite like being a front-line troop. Change comes of course, but after 30 some years-- I find mixed feelings about the whole thing.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CrossChain, I am a teacher too! 31+ years and it is time to go. You can always pick up a supply day or short term contract. Life is short. Call up a few colleagues, graduate students and head out on the open road. Don't miss this window of opportunity!
    Hockey

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reading retirement threads. Call me "Done in December!"

As a teacher, I've always told my whiny colleagues "don't count the days, make the days count". But that has been harder for me to do, lately. I guess that makes me a hypocrite, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I once took a 4-week leave. It was incredible. I wish it were easier to do these things. I've always been of a mind that if one took a 4-8 week break every 5 years or so, that they would be a more productive person over the long haul. I've been thinking of asking to go on a 50% appointment for two months, taking 4 weeks of my accumulated vacation to turn it into a 2 month break at half pay, then going back to 100% when I got back.
    I agree...I started taking a 4 week leave at 18 and from then till now I have always had at least 4 weeks and often a 7-8 week leave every year. (thats over 30 years ago) Its as hard as you make it. In the long run I am not sure it actually costs you much money if you take into account taxes.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 10 years or so for me. We have a neat perk in that we get 4 weeks off every 7 years with pay, not vacation, and we pretty much take it. Mine is this Sep. Really looking forward to it. The way the weather has been so weird though, it wouldn't surprise me if it snowed or something. I won't have any trouble at all retiring. While I love my job, and wouldn't want any other one, I have so many things I enjoy doing, staying busy won't be a problem. The only downside will be my wife is quite a bit younger, and she'll continue working.

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you get that tour started! You never know what might happen to effect it before you can get started.

The stars aligned perfectly and I retired at age 45. That was seven years ago. I had planned a TransAm trip to celebrate. I had the bike, trailer, maps, funds and of course the time. Then my better-half said she wanted to go too, but she needed an extra year to prepare. I was ecstatic that she wanted to share this experience and we happily planned extensively for the trip and would ride it on our tandem.

Life has a way of catching us with our pants down and giving us a good wallop at times. Within that year her father passed away leaving us with her mother who has Alzheimer’s and cannot be left alone. Within a month of her father passing, my mother died and left me to raise my 5 year old niece. Well we're still planning, but the plan has been changed to add a niece (and a triplet bike), and delayed until mother-in-law is no longer with us.

Point is, I missed a great window. There is no remorse because life deals out all kinds of different hands to play. We have to play what’s dealt.

Get on the ride.
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMike
    The only downside will be my wife is quite a bit younger, and she'll continue working.
    Your wife's younger...that is a bummer! The next tale of tragedy you'll tell us is that she's working as a super model!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    I retired at 62 and I wish I could of done it at 52. About the only thing that gets me ticked off is I wish I started riding sooner.
    I started when I was 43, and really get mad when I think of all the years when I could've been riding. But then I realize that I wouldn't have appreciated it as much, or in the same way. At the expense of sounding overly philosophical, cycling finds us when the time is right.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your wife's younger...that is a bummer! The next tale of tragedy you'll tell us is that she's working as a super model!!!
    15 years difference, and in my mind she COULD be! Downside is she doesn't bike, so that's something I do on my own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As eager as I sound in my previous post I realized this morning as I prepared for work that I am facing the prospect of retiring with some trepedation along with anticipation.Our jobs are a great part of our identity in that they help us define who we are,as a poster stated he is a teacher now and wondered what he would be after he retired.When I walk out the door at the end of my last shift I change from someone who belongs in my workplace because I work there to just another visitor when I go back through the door even if I do an immediate u-turn.That is scary to say the least.After being a paramedic for thirty-one years,I'll always be a paramedic but just not praticing it as a career.I know I won't miss the politics of the job but will miss all the people both patients and colleagues. As to the bike part hopefully in about six weeks post retirement I'll be off on my around North America tour,just got to do a little more bike riding prior to starting and get my stuff together.Gad after reading this post over that's a lot of heavy thoughts for this early in the morning. Eleven work days and counting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
    When I walk out the door at the end of my last shift I change from someone who belongs in my workplace because I work there to just another visitor when I go back through the door even if I do an immediate u-turn..
    Precisely. We become a "visitor" in what we've known as a very significant, real world for so long...a world where we had an impact, a valued role, were part of something. Retirees have that smack of transigence...which, in fact, often given their age, they are. Volunteering and such is nice, but don't they give you a daily badge, in a sense, to identify you as-- what else...a "visitor".

And that's the pity of retirement for so many people. A sort of "redeploying" from meaningful adult life. I see those commercials for some retirement community in Florida where the happy, carefree oldsters are shepherded from one recreational distraction to another... like so many pre-schoolers at daycare. Doing anything but something serious and productive. Thankfully, so many people here have retired or plan to in a style that sounds more appealing.

Anyway, bravo to all those who continue to assert themselves with hard miles on the bike or volunteering or minding the grandkids or brewing beer in the bathtub. Damned if all those road miles over the years won't come back to keep us going ever onward.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am dealing with this issue also. CC is expressing many of my feelings.
    I have not wanted to retire until 70, but the industry I serve is contracting big time and this winter up north here has been tough.
    My wife and I are thinking to Snowbird next winter. That means retiring. But I am concerned about all of the above. Let us hope it will become clear soon.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I won't "retire" for a long time, I don't spend much time thinking about it (except to worry that I'll never have enough resources to truly retire). I do remember being struck hard by the movie with Jack Nickleson in which he plays a retiring insurance executive who completely loses his sense of self when he leaves the world of work. I can't remember the name of the movie but boy, it hit me hard.

I think what will work for me is to create some kind of busines I can conduct until the day they pry my handlebars from my cold, dead fingers. Not my present business (consulting) but something perhaps I can do over the internet, or locally, or something.

There was a fantastic article in the March issue of Southwest Airline's travel magazine about a guy who started a business four years ago for $60. Seems he emailed friends and neighbors and said, "If you will leave $10 on your porch this Sunday, I'll bring you a big container of fresh, hot, homemade soup. And I'll deliver it on a bicycle." No kidding!

Well, he got enough orders to get started, and now it's been four years, and he has (if I remember right) ten people working with him, and there are about 100 orders PER DAY for his soups. The business is called "The Soup Peddler" of course.

Quite inspiring!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast