User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a helmet

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a helmet

I need a new helmet and I think that regular bicycling helmets are just too damn dorky. I really don't need to be "streamlined" like your typical bicycling helmet is made. Anyone have any recommendations/pictures?
    Maybe a skateboarding helmet?
    I don't like the yuppie look.
    Help me before I bust my noggin.
    Thanks

My Bikes
    Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giro Semi. I drilled 4 holes 3/8 dia. in the back of mine to increase airflow for 95+degree days.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While all of the team jerseys and bright colored spandex can look a bit odd (IMHO), I don't think modern helmets look "yuppie" at all. At least something simple, like a white or dark/medium blue or gray looks "normal" to me.

Something with a Spiderman design, well ...

Remember, the helmets are copying bike racers, not yuppies. No 18 yr old would want to look like a yuppie.

The current helmets are nice in that they are lightweight, protect you well, and allow for sufficient air flow.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That giro semi doesn't look too bad. I don't know why the mfg's think people want to ride around looking like aliens.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dorky?
    Function is what counts, not looks.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know what you mean by dorky. The typical bike helmet sits on top of the head, whereas other helmets fit around the head. I sometimes feel you'd have as much protection if you just tie a piece of Styrofoam packing to the top of your head. I ride without a helmet, but all organized rides I attend require a helmet, so I have one for them, on sale at $14.95. Don't seem quite so dorky when surrounded by dozens of other dorks. Anyway if head protection is really what your after I suspect just about any other sports helmet would do a better job, although greater protection usually comes with more weight. For example I found this helmet when I googled mountain gear: http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr...tem/112503/N/0

Hope that link goes thru. You could run into problems if some jerk insists your helmet of choice has a sticker in helmet from a bike sanctioning body. ANSI PANSI or whatever.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care if Helmets look "Dorky". I personally don't think they do but that is me. Cycle helmets have been designed for years to do an effective job of protecting the head. Now unless all the research and development have been going on the wrong track- They do that job. Every accident I have had where the helmet has been damaged, my head and face have got away without damage.

You need a helmet that is effective, fits well, and is lightweight for comfort. The current design of helmets do that for me and with the number of helmets I have damaged, they do the job very well.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never liked the "pointy" look. So I bought a Bell Metro. At least I don't look like some time trial wannabe. The Bell Citi is a cheaper version.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allow me to restate my original question.

Can anyone recommend a functional, conservative bicycle helmet for a middle-aged bicycle rider who prefers not to ride around rural farm country looking like he's wearing a crown of woven lightning bolts?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Helmets are designed to be function specific so, if your objective is to protect your brain, I'd get a bicycling helmet. Don't ask me the difference because I not only don't know, I don't even know what the issues are.

If your objective is to keep your wife off of your back, you can probably use any helmet.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredmertz51
    Giro Semi. I drilled 4 holes 3/8 dia. in the back of mine to increase airflow for 95+degree days.
    If this were a motorcycle helmet, drilling any holes would compromise the integrity of the helmet. Not so with bicycle helmets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy

Can anyone recommend a functional, conservative bicycle helmet for a middle-aged bicycle rider who prefers not to ride around rural farm country looking like he's wearing a crown of woven lightning bolts?
    No. I cannot do that.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fit is more important.

And I'll make another comment that I haven't heard discussed before - I bought a Bell Sweep R to replace an old Giro and found the Bell to make much more wind noise (loud) than the old Giro. Anyone else have the same experience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that does illustrate the problem better. My dad objected to the bike helmet look. We got him the Bell Faction BMX helmet [+1 to Chipcom]:

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...L-BEL-Faction5

However, regarding that crack about the 'crown of woven lightning bolts', as half-Norwegian I have to wonder what you have against Thor, the god of thunder?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You thought the Bell Citi looked like woven lightning bolts?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dagna

Well, that does illustrate the problem better. My dad objected to the bike helmet look. We got him the Bell Faction BMX helmet [+1 to Chipcom]:

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...L-BEL-Faction5
    I think these BMX helmets makes one look like a 14 year old skateboarder wannabe.

But that's just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giro Havoc. Cheapest one I could find that came in sized versions. Don't wear one too often, so cheap, comfortable and non-alien attacked my skull was important.
    Although the Factions bowling ball look has its charms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Head injuries look pretty "dorky" too, I never ride without a helmet and prefer a Giro. Cheap insurance!

My Bikes
    Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19
    If this were a motorcycle helmet, drilling any holes would compromise the integrity of the helmet. Not so with bicycle helmets?
    Possibly, heatstroke is dangerous too. Back in the old days we drilled holes in motorcycle helmets to put on faceguards for motocross. Also, there are already a lot of holes in the helmet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't take my flippant remarks seriously. In all seriousness, thank you all for the suggestions. Now I have a better idea of what's out there. I will look them over and make a decision.

But you know, you've got to admit, some of those helmets..........................................................

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i feel like you do about a helmet;
    plus i have a funny shaped sort of fat round head that typical
    bike helmets just don't seem to fit right- even with pads and all sorts of adjustment.
    a few months ago i tried on a Petzel Meteor III ice/rock climbing helmet;
    it seems to fit well, is light weight and fairly comfortable (it has some air vents-
    cannot speak to how it will be when/if it gets warm out). while it is not blessed by the
    bike helmet gurus; i do wear it, when in the past i probably would not wear a helmet so
    i'm better protected than with my usual doo-rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I think these BMX helmets makes one look like a 14 year old skateboarder wannabe.

But that's just my opinion.
    I wear one for my snowy winter commutes. With the illuminite helmet cover, the kids think it looks more like a military helmet. But your opinion is pretty typical among 'serious' cyclists, thus proving helmets are more of a fashion statement than a safety device, considering that the BMX helmet is probably safer because it provides more coverage for the back of your head and doesn't have all the vents and pointy edges than can snag and cause neck injuries.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast