Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jppe's wind + RAIN

Jppe posted yesterday about the problems of riding in Wind. I think most of us agreed with him in that hills are preferred to a headwind. He has it right of course in that when you go out for a ride, you want it to be enjoyable, and wind can be one of those factors to spoil a ride.

The weather forecast for us today was a 12mph wind and rain. When we left at 9am- there was no sign of the rain. Wind was there a bit but not too bad, so it was decided that we would go offroad. Only a couple of hills- 12% and 15% and each one about a mile long.It has been raining this week so the trails would be a bit sticky but we are used to those conditions this winter.
    6 miles by track to the hills and the weather was almost perfect. Could have done with a bit of sun to improve it but nice riding weather. Base of the hills and a puncture occured. This seemed to be the sign for the weather to change and a bit of a breeze breeze sprung up and the rain started. Couple of minutes later we were out of our sheltered spot and the wind was up to around 15mph and it was chucking it down. A very quick decision was made by all of us. We don't mind the hills and if the rain was there we were going to get wet, But that wind at 15mph at the base of the hill was going to be nearer 25 on the exposed bits at the top. We could not stop the rain and there was nothing we could do about the Wind- so we cut the hill.

Yes I wimped out and I am proud of it. It shows that in my dotage I have retained some of the sanity that I appear to have lost in previous years. We went straight down for a breakfast. For some reason the cafe was not crowded. No walkers about- no mountain bikers and none of the regular morning visitors who just go to the cafe for coffee. The few who were in there looked at us as though we were a bit demented, and a few comments were passed between us. 30 minutes later and we had to brave the elements again. We still wimped out and although we were going to take the forest route out- we were going to stay on the trails and not take in the Single track and the hills. We stayed on the trails and quite enjoyed slithering down the slopes and fighting for grip in the muddy bits. Pic attached is of the other two on the trail and shows the Tameness of the trails but does not show the rain or the wind unfortunately.

Got home eventually and by the end- the extremities were beginning to go numb. I was not wearing my waterproof socks so my feet froze and The hands had no feeling whatsoever. Funny how something that has no feeling- can hurt so much as it comes back to life.

May not have been the planned ride and it may have been done in not the nicest of weather- but at least I got a ride in today. Just remind me not to do it again in future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you just wimped out on the hills I checked our weather early this morning and decided with a temperature of 20F and 20 mph winds I would NOT be doing the breakfast ride this morning. I really enjoy your ride reports. I've never rode off-road and you make it sound fun.

The forecast looks much better for riding next week. It's March - the weather has to get better!

I was able to get one bike related activity in this weekend. We had a meeting/training session for the park volunteer groups. The training session covered river rescues. They also announced the parks will be updating their logo and we'll be receiving new cycling shirts and jackets
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam--did you manage to catch the lunar eclipse? I heard from a gentleman in Surrey that it was quite spectucular.

East Hill

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill
    Stapfam--did you manage to catch the lunar eclipse? I heard from a gentleman in Surrey that it was quite spectucular.

East Hill
    I did and it was spectacular. Got photos of it and it is only when blown up to distortion level but at high resolution- you can see how spectaculat it was.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you took the planned or an alternate ride, you did it, enjoyed breakfast and got home before your entire body had gone numb. Good report!
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your a tough guy, Stapfam. I rode with a friend today who is from Yorkshire and now lives in Oregon. He lived here in Los Angeles for a few years and got spoiled by the weather and is having trouble adjusting to the rain again. I told him about this forum and he told me of the rivalry between the Lankys and the Yorkies and the war of the roses.

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    I did and it was spectacular. Got photos of it and it is only when blown up to distortion level but at high resolution- you can see how spectacular it was.
    I was looking forward to catching perhaps just a little bit of it here in Puget Sound, but what little may have been visible was obscured by, yes you guessed it, rain/clouds.

East Hill