Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Year-round cyclist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "TSL", I wonder why you seem to insist on bike shorts. If you have found the perfect saddle to ride with your current clothes, then what's wrong with that?

I tend to believe in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

So I don't have anything against bike shorts, but that's not for me. I ride on my Brooks B-17 saddle, wearing normal long trousers... or sometimes bermuda shorts if it's above 30°C.
    Michel Gagnon
    Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are great for prancing around the boudoir. I have no idea what else they can be used for. bk

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon
    "TSL", I wonder why you seem to insist on bike shorts. If you have found the perfect saddle to ride with your current clothes, then what's wrong with that?
    I'm not insisting on anything. I have no plans to wear bike clothes for commuting and shopping excursions. I'm considering the advice that they may improve comfort on other rides. Until I've tried them, I don't know.

Plus, I'm looking for a better answer to the inevitable "Why don't you wear bike clothes?" question. The current favorites, "Why don't you mind your own business?" or "Are we here to ride bikes to discuss couture?" or "Why are you so interested in what's in my pants?" are somewhat less than satisfying for both parties.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rick11
    I have never used chamois cream - are they all similar, is it harder to clean shorts afterwards, how does it feel etc - any perspectives?
    I have only used ASSOS, it works, I'm spoiled(Use very sparingly) I have no reason to try anything else
    I hate cars,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgallagh
    PI Izumi Attack shorts:
    •Sensor fabric
    •New 07' 3D Race Chamois® has 10 mm contoured pad protection
    •Modified 8 panel ergonomic design
    •Flatlocked seams for comfort
    •Custom Pearl Izumi spandex leg gripper
    •9¼-inch inseam
    •Content: 72% Nylon/28% Spandex

$69 retail $59 at the outlet store. This is the most comfortable short I have ever owned for long distance comfort.
    I couldn't agree more...I've worn Voler and other brands...nothing compares to the comfort of the pearl izumi attack shorts that I own.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    I wear lycra running shorts. They look like bike shorts but don't have that pad. I figure I don't need the pad since my bike doesn't have a saddle. If you ride without a pad, you'll still want a liner or something under the shorts. I use coolmax underwear; it lets the air through and wicks sweat.
    Athletic compression underwear is easy to find in any large department store. Sells for about $10-$12 from Wal-Mart & Target. No pad, but some support and less friction between them and your pants/shorts.

For lightweight pants that allow for better movement than jeans, you can also find stuff at department stores. Target carries Champion's C9 line of pants & jerseys. The C9 cargo pants look a lot like regular pants, but are thinner and more flexible. They still have lots of pockets & belt loops. They also have mesh pants which are very thin and tie up with a drawstring. These are probably too thin for winter, but are nice up to when you want to start wearing shorts. The regular price for the cargo pants is $25, for the mesh pants is around $12-$15. The mesh jerseys are $10-$15.

Here's a thread from a runner's forum, where most people seem to like the C9 stuff:
    http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/f...8/m/5201069702
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    I really like the expedition bike shorts I bought at REI. They are essentially chamois-padded bike shorts covered by walk shorts with zippered pockets, making them practical, socially presentable, and comfortable, i.e., ideal for transportation cycling.
    These are my shorts, too. Work great and look more mainstream off the bike. Wife says they look very good.

Wife and I both have a pair of REI (Novara) "wind pants" (long legs with zipper at ankle). We wear padded underwear with these. They also work well and are excellent in colder weather.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    Am I the only woman posting a reply? Hmmmm...

Men's butts look good in Lycra!

It's not that I can't pull...the view is better from the back of the pack!
    Red Ryder: In case you didn't know, so do women's!!

Road Fan

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Lycra makes you look gay.

There's nothing wrong with that.
    Well, I'm convinced. Now go tell it to Football players, as they also wear lycra.

Back on the topic,,

"I confess, there ain't nothin hotter than a chick in biker shorts,,,,"
    Indeed.

Two summers ago, on one of my warm summer evening rides, I came up behind a delightful young woman who was wearing shorts that must have come from Victoria's Secret. I mean they were somewhat shorter than standard, and really, really translucent. Yikes!

This was going up Beacon street in Newton, MA. One of the few times I've ever noticed cars actually staying well within the speed limit.

Alas, she started talking about her boyfriend. Oh well.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think...
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooh, a compliment! I'll take, with thanks!

OTOH, I don't spend much time looking at women's derrières, whether in Lycra or not. I'll leave that to the men.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never tried bibs, how does the fit differ? What is the advantage. I've never had much complaint with shorts.
    - Dave

Hammer 15% discount referal

2008 Motobecane Le Champion Ti Roadbike
    2007 Ironhorse Victory 3.0 Roadbike
    2003 Specialized expedition hybrid

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodinville guy
    I've never tried bibs, how does the fit differ? What is the advantage. I've never had much complaint with shorts.
    Shorts have elastic at the waist which bothers some people and sometimes when you are riding in the drops and your shirt creeps up and shorts creep down you can get the plumber effect. Bibs have straps over the shoulders so no elastic and come in with either no back or a webed back. In the front the bibs also have a webed front that comes up over your belly. This makes for a comfortable fit. As stated using the bathroom can be a bit more complicated with bibs. I think if you do a poll you will probably find more people ride in bibs than shorts and say that once they tried them they got rid of all of their old shorts.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodinville guy
    For those of us who don't have that about 155 pound narrow-hipped 30-32 inch waist on an about 5' 9" frame (or other similar proportions), bibs can be great. They can be great for those who DO, but they are especially great for thos who don't.

If you happen to have a bit of the "pear shape" that males seem to get, they are almost indispensable, for the reasons stonecrd mentioned above - that "plumber look" - shorts creeping down, jersey creeping up. And, they are really just more comfortable.

For the times that I wear Lycra, I love them. For shorter rides I usually don't, but I generally do for longer rides.

As far as the "gay" bit goes, I think it is regional. Around here, we must have 10's of thousands of folks wearing bright Lycra on any decent riding day. It is considered normal and does not make one look like they are "gay" - it makes one look like a bicycle rider. We also have a lot of skiers, who wear appropriate "ski clothing" and many other sports with specific clothing. I could imagine in certain parts of the country that the Lycra would be viewed from a different perspective by a certain type of individual, but that wouldn't bother me.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    As far as the "gay" bit goes, I think it is regional. Around here, we must have 10's of thousands of folks wearing bright Lycra on any decent riding day. It is considered normal and does not make one look like they are "gay" - it makes one look like a bicycle rider.
    My house sits along a rural road that is very popular with cyclists. Hundreds of riders go past on weekend days in the summer. 99% of them wearing lycra, with maybe 90% of those in bright colors. If one wanted to look weird and stick out of the crowd, that's easy, wear a t-shirt & cut-off jeans. I saw this happen last summer. About 2 miles from me there is a popular stop for cyclists, a little ice-cream shop in a very small town. There were about 40-50 bikers there, all in their lycra, when up rides a guy on a nice road bike wearing cut-off jeans and a t-shirt. They were all staring at him. Pretty funny scene.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear what you like and feel comfortable riding in. That's it. I only feel comfortable going really, really fast these days, so I wear go-fast clothes. When I was in my teens, I didn't care about going fast - I just enjoyed the ride.

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." Satchel Paige

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00016396.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12