Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever hit a parked car?

I did, one time, way back when I was a teenager.
    It was nighttime. The street was pitch black. My bike didn't have a light. I was very pissed-off about something - I don't remember what now. I was cruising along in the right lane, just spacing off gazing down at the front tire when WHAM. I came to an immediate stop and my face must have left a dent on the trunk hood. I think I broke my glasses but there was no permenent damage. I don't ride like that any more.

Also, my brother's little boy came screaming into the house one day with his face covered with blood. He had been riding his bike with his eyes closed and his face hit a mirror on a parked truck. He's OK now too.

Don't try either one of these things at home.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy
    Don't try either one of these things at home.
    Right, let "professionals" do these stunts. (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not personally, but a friend hit a parked 240Z....one with the loovered covering over the fastback rear glass. Those loovers sliced her arm and required many stitches and lots of recovery time. Someday, I imagine some turkey will open his car door as I'm riding past. Only a matter of time I think.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny
    This happens to more people than you know. Most won't admit it . I remember Dale Stetina did this and broke his arm.

Not to mention Davis Phinney...and he had the facial scars to show for it.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Not to mention Davis Phinney...and he had the facial scars to show for it.
    Unfortunately, Davis did not have much control over that incident. The driver slammed on the brakes in front of him. If I remember, he went through the rear window of a hatchback face first. Not pretty.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. But I hit a kid who ran into the road from between closely-parked cars. I knocked him down. I immediately turned around to make sure he was okay, expecting a ration of cr*p from his parents. Surprisingly, they were fine with it, more worried about me & my bike (we were fine, just shaken). The kid was okay, too. They ripped him a new one for not looking first. Good parents.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Fuji Team Issue, GT tandem, Couture (bet you never heard of this one)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, parked isn't completely accurate, but back in the day racing in Boulder, Co. I borrowed a friends track bike to head down to the State Championships the next weekend. I didn't have a car so I rode it across town to my home. There was a fairly steep short hill I had to climb along a busy main thoroughfare past the University. I knew I couldn't ride it up that hill at "normal" speed with the gearing on the bike so I put my head down and went for it in the middle of "my" lane. I must have been going about 30mph -sprinting with my head down - when I heard the squealing of brakes. The co-ed in the car two up from me decided to make a sudden no-turn signal right turn and the car in front of me had to either slam on the brakes or hit her. I was maybe 20 feet back. 30mph. No brakes. 0.2 nanoseconds to react. WHAM!!! I ended up on the road in front of the car -and this was an old loooong Buick. Smashed her rear window dented the trunk and hood and completely totaled the bike. The fork was parallel with the crumpled top tube and the front wheel bore bore no resemblance to anything round. I had a large hole in my knee and abrasions all over my face, arms and legs. Surprisingly, nothing serious and I had no other injuries.

There must have been a hundred people standing around and 20 witnesses who all decided, along with the cops that the fault was the co-ed two cars up (who to her credit, stopped when she saw my body flying over the car behind her). While I was being scrapped off the asphalt, apparently the cop was satisfied and the two drove off and I never heard from either.

The cop followed me to the hospital where, while they were stitching up the hole in my knee, handed me a ticket for riding a bike with no brakes. He said he felt bad about it, but since there were so many witnesses he felt uncomfortable letting it slide.

Good thing I was doing some frame building at the time. I didn't have the money to replace my friends bike.

Missed States that year.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about 12 and I was coming up to a T alley, I came around the corner and a pickup truck was parked about 15 feet back. I'm glad it was parked, anyway, I hit it and flew up on the hood. Scared the hell out of me so bad, I hurried off the hood and took off on my bike. I was more affraid of getting caught by the guy who owned the truck. After things cooled down a bit I went back to see it there was any damage. To my relief everything was fine. In those days everything was built like tanks anyhow. I think if I did that now it would have cost a few grand for repairs.
    George

My Bikes
    97' Specialized Rockhopper, 04' Jamis XLT3, 05' Burley Runabout
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this once when I was about 12, it was early (about 5:00 am) Sunday morning and I was delivering the Morning paper about 10 blocks away from my house. Going down a long road on the way I must have been half asleep cause outta nowhere comes this parked car! I of course slammed into the back of it, more startled than hurt and then quickly got the hell out of there!
    97' Specialized Rockhopper
    04' Jamis Dakar XLT3
    05' Burley Runabout 7
    06' RANS Force 5
    07' Salsa Dos Niner DEAD x2
    10' Niner SIR9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO but a guy died from hitting a parked car in Pittsburgh, PA 2 summers ago. No helmet, no lights, middle of the night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly parked but I did hit a car.
    When in High School, I would ride my bike to school some times. The front of the school was on a hill, witha traffic light at the bottom. This caused a line of cars to back up in front of the school. Also in front of the school was some faculty parking. Being young, and invincable(and stupid), I would ride between the cars and the curb, down hill, way faster than was safe. One of the faculty turned right to go into the parking lot just as I was aproaching the entrance, and WHAM right into the front fender. Taco'd my front wheel, put a big dent and scratch in the front fender. The faculty member was naturally upset that he hit a student. No real injury except bruises. It was a nice way to meet the principal.

dbg
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet. A bike buddy described doing it once so I've been careful. I can see how it could happen --residential street, head down, pumping hard into a slight wind, BANG!
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet, and am not avidly seeking to find out what it's like, either .

East Hill

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made some adjustments on one of my bikes & took it out for a test ride one foggy evening at dusk, figured I could do a mile or 2 & get back before dark. Just after I turned for home, I was pushing hard in the drops on a slight uphill curve with my head down, enjoying the speed, when something looming up in my peripheral vision made me swerve left. The nearby U-Haul dealer had parked one of his trucks blocking the bike lane! I barely avoided a direct collision but went the length of the truck scraping my arm & shoulder against the aluminum side . Brand new long sleeve jersey never came clean & I bruised my shoulder but it could have been much worse.

My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear it moved...LMAO!!!!! When I was a kid I hit a Dodge Aspen Wagon while racing my buddy... I still won....but without the bike.......LOL

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but I ran into a car door which was flung open in front of me when I was in my late teens and took the door clean off! I was a bit grazed and bruised and my forks and wheel weren't in great shape, but the guy's insurance paid up.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a parked one but plenty that have pulled out on me.

We used to have a riding friend- Only a youngster but he was easily distracted. One memorable ride and he was on the kerb side of the road with my mate Mike outside him. Mike started talking to him and just took the pace out a bit. Mike did know what he was doing because we knew this rider. Mike pulled out to the centre of the road a bit because parked in the road about 50 yards in front was a rubbish skip. Mike kept talking and the youngster went straight into the skip. This is the same rider that we could send down a track, call out to him, he would look behind him and he would find bushes- deep mud and trees.
    He gave up riding with us eventually because his girlfriend got worried about his safety.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only on my tricycle, a long time ago in a galaxy far,far away. I ran into all kinds of stuff on that trike, to include people, cars, trees, parking meters, houses. Seems I used to get quite fascinated with watching my feet go around and around. Simply put I was a terror. Good thing people did not sue back then like they do now here in the states.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I was about 10, me and the boys were doing a race a round the block when I got pinched in a turn and ran into a parked car head first, still have a scar over my right eye.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn converted to fixed, Surly Crosscheck 1x9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once i was chugging up a hill on a residential street with my head down, maybe 10mph, and hit a parked car...i think i kinda bounced off the trunk and fortunately landed with my feet on the ground, bith the bike behind me...the bike was fine, except that the saddle rails had been bent and twisted, and the shell of the saddle itself had fallen off (i guess i flew off of it in a particularly stressful way)...the car didn't seem to have any damage and neither did i, so i brushed myself off, placed the saddle approximately back in place, and lashed it to the rails using a spare inner tube...and then rode off to work...the saddle still worked suprisingly well...it was several weeks before i got around to getting a replacement...

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once, in high school I was riding a 3 speed frankenbike I had just put together, no brakes yet...

Rounded a corner onto the gravel road I lived on, really fast and couldn't turn as sharply as I should have, so I hit the side of a car that has parked perpendicular to the street on the drivers side back door and slid across the trunk.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did about 2 summers ago. Wasn't dark, wasn't foggy -- bright, sunny afternoon along a road I am very familiar with. Glanced over to the left when a car honked, looked back just in time to go flying into the back of a pickup. Nobody ever parks along that stretch of road!

I looked around, saw no one to share my stupidity, found nothing wrong with the pickup, bike or rider, and continued down the road.

Never saw the pickup there again, so I maintain it made a hyperdrive jump to the wrong place at the wrong time!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twice,

In 3rd Grade I ran straight into a Karmann Ghia that was parked near the school bike racks. And when I was a teen I got doored by a Ford Galaxie in downtown Inglewood.

Retro-guy
    My Bikes
    1980 Raleigh Super Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: parked car

Back about 12 or so years ago my daughter (who was in 5th or 6th grade at the time) got distracted while riding her bike, and ran straight into the back of a parked car. It was a hatchback, and her bike tipped up over the front wheel, and she ran both hands (still on the handle bars) right through the rear window glass, cutting into the knuckles on both hands. (This occurred when we lived in Naperville, IL.)

The person whose house it happened near called my wife, and so my wife then needed to get our younger son in from the backyard, so that they could leave quick to get my daughter to the emergency room. But it turns out that this all happened on April 1st, so my son (in 1st or 2nd grade at the time) thinks at first that the whole thing is an April Fools joke, and refuses to come in!

I met up with everyone at the hospital, and it turned out that there was too much going on in the ER at the moment, leading to a shortage of nurses to help the doctor. So the doctor asked me to help him by handing him tools, and also by holding my daughter's hands down so he can stitch up the cuts, as well as the cut tendons on the middle knuckles of both hands. The hardest part for me was having to hold her hands down, but luckily all of the repair work turned out fine.

Year later, the same daughter of ours also had a fairly major wipe-out while out on a ride with the Stanford U. bike club, in the hills west of campus, where she got knocked out, and woke up in the hospital with a pretty bad case of road rash.

Not to be outdone, our son has also had one bad bike wipeout (in 4th grade - he's now in college), leaving him with bad road rash on his face, arm, and leg, plus a bike helmet that literally cracked in two, but managed to save his head in the process.

My Bikes
    Klein GaryFisher Cannondale Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost wacked the door that opened in front of me. Both he and I got wide eyed and he jumped back in closing the door. I swerved a bit but there was traffic in the lane. Thanks that we both reacted quickly and I don't ride too fast anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast