Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-07, 07:52 PM   #1
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Magna Warning Label on square taper Cranks

Every now and then you come across something that makes you do a double take. Sort of, "did I really read that? What were they thinking when they wrote that?" Well, I found one of those instances on one of my yardsale specials that I thought you all might enjoy.
I recently picked up a Magna 24", dual suspension MTB for parts. The cranks were damaged so I removed them and was ready to toss them when I saw a warning label on the crank (pictured below). The picture may not be that clear so I'll repeat it here; "CAUTION: Be sure crank arm is secured tightly before riding. Use 14mm socket wrench."
Are they nuts?
This bike is targeted for kids. How many kids do you know that are handy with a 14mm socket wrench or know how to tighten a bicycle crank? How many of them know how to check a crank to see if they're "tight". (Do you check your cranks to see if they're tight?)
Additionally, how many kids can apply the 35 ft lbs of torque needed to tighten a bicycle crank? I'm totally dumbfounded. The folks at Wally World and the other X-mart stores never cease to amaze me, but this one has me totally puzzled.
So I ask again "What were they thinking?" (By the way, the reason the cranks were shot on this bike, they were loose that resulted in the square taper elongating to the point where they would not fit tight. I guess the kid who owned it didn't read the warning label!)
Hope you got a kick out of this. Comments welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magna Crank 1.jpg (18.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Magna Crank 1 (1).jpg (17.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-04-07, 07:59 PM   #2
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobike
Every now and then you come across something that makes you do a double take. Sort of, "did I really read that? What were they thinking when they wrote that?" Well, I found one of those instances on one of my yardsale specials that I thought you all might enjoy.
I recently picked up a Magna 24", dual suspension MTB for parts. The cranks were damaged so I removed them and was ready to toss them when I saw a warning label on the crank (pictured below). The picture may not be that clear so I'll repeat it here; "CAUTION: Be sure crank arm is secured tightly before riding. Use 14mm socket wrench."
Are they nuts?
This bike is targeted for kids. How many kids do you know that are handy with a 14mm socket wrench or know how to tighten a bicycle crank? How many of them know how to check a crank to see if they're "tight". (Do you check your cranks to see if they're tight?)
Additionally, how many kids can apply the 35 ft lbs of torque needed to tighten a bicycle crank? I'm totally dumbfounded. The folks at Wally World and the other X-mart stores never cease to amaze me, but this one has me totally puzzled.
So I ask again "What were they thinking?" (By the way, the reason the cranks were shot on this bike, they were loose that resulted in the square taper elongating to the point where they would not fit tight. I guess the kid who owned it didn't read the warning label!)
It took me a couple reads to get my head straight. I'm holding a crank tool right now (the 8mm allen wrench kind). I couldn't figure out why you would ever need a 14mm allen wrench.

Yeah, warning labels like this might not be necessary if the workers got paid more than $3/bike to assemble.
Old 03-04-07, 08:41 PM   #3
Bikewer

Bikes:
The Magna line is apparently replacing Huffy for "ultimate cheese". The finest Chinese iron.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 09:46 PM   #4
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Heh, heh, heh. About the shortest step ladder you can buy anymore is 4' because a smaller ladder wouldn't have anough space for all the warning stickers.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 01:28 AM   #5
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobike
"CAUTION: Be sure crank arm is secured tightly before riding. Use 14mm socket wrench."
Are they nuts?
I think it is purely a CYA tactic suggested by their attorneys.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote