Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a Reminder: Daylight Savings Time Starts Sunday

It's earlier than in years past:

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

Wondering--does this help or hurt your ride schedule? (or neither?)
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping it gives me enough time to get a short ride in after work. I work 4x10 so it's 6:30pm when I get home. Morning rides are out as there's no way I'm dragging my butt out of bed any earlier than necessary to get to work by 7:00am
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It helps me get more rides in the pm and also lets me get in a little more golf. All dependent on the weather for a few weeks though. I like it. Let's just keep it that way all year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't change my riding at all. Being retired enables me to pick my times. Sure will be weird having EDST coupled with snow banks and wind chill factors of zero F.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use Outlook's calendar function, you will probably find that, for the next 3 weeks, your standing appointments have shifted by one hour -- sort of a mini-Y2K!
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like it. My commute is early morning. I get little daylight as it is, now less.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I *LOVE* the new schedule.

It is too dark up here in Wisconsin during the winter. Not only is it north, but we are in the eastern part of the Central Time Zone, which makes it worse.

In early December, our sunsets are around 4:20. They are before 5:00 from when the clock used to change in late October until Jan 24th. Nearly 3 months! Even today it is still just 5:52. As compared to say Charlottesville, VA where it set at 6:11 today. Or Katy, Texas where it was at 6:25.

Katy, TX earliest sunset is 5:24. We have 104 days where the sunset is earlier than 5:24.

So when it changes, sunset will go to 7:00 a week from today. The dark will be gone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I finally have a bike I'm really looking forward to DST for the first time ever. There's nowhere to ride close to home so I have to transport and since it won't get dark now till 7 pm or so I'll finally be able to ride during the week. Our weekend weather hasn't been very pleasant so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking forward to daylight savings time. I hope to resume my commute to and from work.

Gas, the price of a can of beans.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helps immensly. Our club can finally start having regular weekday rides again because there will be enough daylight to get in a ride after work.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to it. I'll have an extra hour, after arriving home from work, to ride instead of the measley 15-30 minutes I get now.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the time of year when I start riding some in the mornings, often two hours before work. Now it will all be in the dark if I choose to do so, at least until the sun catches up again.

It does allow some of my work to be more productive, since the oilfield starts at 8AM and quits at sundown (makes looooong summer work days). My field foreman is not too happy about it.

I could go either way. One extra month of DST doesn't really help much.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It changes my weekday riding schedule. I hurry to get in an after work ride before dark until daylight savings time sets in, then I come home and have dinner first, then ride. When I road ride, the later riding time makes for less severe traffic to contend with.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't need no stinkin DLST! I mean, when you think of it - what sense does it make where year round you get 12 hours of day light and 12 hours of night - give or take about 20 minutes I think.

We are pretty close to the equator. Oh, and it is a little warmer than up there!

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this time of the year, the time change means nothing to me. What I need is better weather. 17 degrees and 40 mph winds is the problem now. Where the heck is this global warming they speak of? And what happened to the early spring the ground hog predicted?
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got a defective groundhog down there in PA. The Wisconsin groundhog accurately predicted that there would be several more weeks of winter.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed. & Motobecane Century Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a common mistake, but it is "Daylight Saving Time", rather than "Daylight Savings Time". But a rose by any other name . . .

Hey, for me, it means there is a better chance of getting in a short ride after work. Enjoy!

-Spoke
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an early morning rider, (leave house at approx 5:25am) I wish they would leave DST until the end of April. Right now as I finish my ride at about 6:15 I see the sky becoming lighter in the southeast and just within the last week or so I have begun to hear birds singing. Now its back into the mid-winter mode of just darkness.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never corrected the clock on my Jeep after the last time change to standard time. Does that mean I'm late to make the change or early for this Daylight Savings Time season. Hmmmmm, Inquiring minds want to know!
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoke
    It is a common mistake, but it is "Daylight Saving Time", rather than "Daylight Savings Time". But a rose by any other name . . .

Hey, for me, it means there is a better chance of getting in a short ride after work. Enjoy!

-Spoke
    Why is it Daylight Saving Time? I always heard plural. Can you cite the original reference? I'm only partly kidding -- I'd really like to know!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they invented time zones, they didn't factor in the tilt of the earth and the fact that daylight and dark are exaggerated in the summer and winter the closer you get to the poles. To people on the equator, DST is completely irrelevant, since sunrise and sunset occur at 6 am and 6 pm every day, all year round. However, as you go further north,the time zones should have been staggered. Quite frankly, living just above the 49th parallel, I see no need for standard time. I think we waste way too much time changing clocks and getting reorganized twice a year. I say let's leave it at DST all year round. The zones would stagger at around the Mexican border, so that standard time in Mexico City would equal DST in CA, OR, WA, and BC.

My understanding of DST is that it was to allow farmers more time to do harvesting, or whatever the hell they do. But I read a recent article that said that farmers were opposed to DST (probably because it gave them too much time to work). The article went on to say that DST arose because of WWI, when energy-saving became important. Ben Franklin (one of my few heroes) wrote a satirical article outlining how shifting the time by one hour would save thousands of candles; Sir Winston Churchill was an ardent supporter of DST. Well, since farmers are now less than 3% of the North American population, I think it would make a lot of sense to just go to DST and just leave it there. Or shift time zones one hour to the west at around the edge of the tropics.

Anyway, I'm glad they're bringing it in early. Maybe in a couple years we'll finally be rid of standard time, an archaic concept whose time has passed.

- L.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt

Anyway, I'm glad they're bringing it in early. Maybe in a couple years we'll finally be rid of standard time, an archaic concept whose time has passed.

- L.
    +100!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Why is it Daylight Saving Time? I always heard plural.
    Actually it's "Daylights Saving Times."

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it's "Daylights Saving Times."
    If we keep starting it this early and running into Nov, it should be "Daylight Saving Most-of-the-Time. As far as the computer being confused, there is supposedly a "fix" for that. Our IT people sent out the instructions, that include a download I believe (downloaded it but haven't done it yet). We use Outlook so this would really mess us up. I like DST. Being on the FAR western edge of EST time in the summer it's still kind of light at 10 at night.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Why is it Daylight Saving Time? I always heard plural. Can you cite the original reference? I'm only partly kidding -- I'd really like to know!
    I don't know, but to this cranky old coot it is, was, and shall remain Daylight Savings Time. And I refuse to say RBI. It's RBIs.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast