Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 54 of 54
  1. #51
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I was ridden out of Cleveland on a rail, tarred and feathered, in 1973. Some family still there, but I'd never move back. It has improved, however. I was impressed with the new downtown a few years ago. But what happened to Halle's? Higbees? Baileys? Uncle Bills? Hockey?
    Hockey!Now your talking Gary.Cleveland is getting a new AHL team,(Lake Erie Monsters) this year(farm team of the Av,s).
    My son also plays for the top highschool team in Ohio.He also recently expressed an interest in road riding with me this spring.A lot of pro hockey players are roadies.

    DG,do you remember to old bike shop at w.41 and Lorain?Its still there going on a 100yrs. old.
    They did close the old Roxy,one of your old haunts?

  2. #52
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry
    Hockey!Now your talking Gary.Cleveland is getting a new AHL team,(Lake Erie Monsters) this year(farm team of the Av,s).
    My son also plays for the top highschool team in Ohio.He also recently expressed an interest in road riding with me this spring.A lot of pro hockey players are roadies.

    DG,do you remember to old bike shop at w.41 and Lorain?Its still there going on a 100yrs. old.
    They did close the old Roxy,one of your old haunts?
    First of all, when I was in college, I used to live near the old Arena (downtown) when the Crusaders of the World Hockey League played. Cleveland Arena My roommate used to go to the parking lot before games with a flashligh (to look "official") and direct a few cars, taking the $5 parking fee himself, until the security guards would finally catch on and chase him away. That paid for his dates on Friday nights...

    I don't remember that old bike shop, but I was an east-side kind of guy. Grew up in the 'burbs (Richmond Heights).

    Now the Roxy -- that's a whole 'nother story! If it's the theatre I think it is, well, I'd better not comment. Heh heh...

    I also used to work for a restaurant down on Euclid Avenue about 14th Street called The Last Moving Picture Company, which was installed in what had been one of those great downtown movie theatres with the balconies and the wonderful chandeliers and all that. Can't remember the original theatre (The Palace? Something like that), and the restaurant is probably long gone. This was the early 70's.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  3. #53
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    First of all, when I was in college, I used to live near the old Arena (downtown) when the Crusaders of the World Hockey League played. Cleveland Arena My roommate used to go to the parking lot before games with a flashligh (to look "official") and direct a few cars, taking the $5 parking fee himself, until the security guards would finally catch on and chase him away. That paid for his dates on Friday nights...

    I don't remember that old bike shop, but I was an east-side kind of guy. Grew up in the 'burbs (Richmond Heights).

    Now the Roxy -- that's a whole 'nother story! If it's the theatre I think it is, well, I'd better not comment. Heh heh...

    I also used to work for a restaurant down on Euclid Avenue about 14th Street called The Last Moving Picture Company, which was installed in what had been one of those great downtown movie theatres with the balconies and the wonderful chandeliers and all that. Can't remember the original theatre (The Palace?
    Something like that), and the restaurant is probably long gone. This was the early 70's.



    I remember you headlined at LMPC as "Gary the Disco King"!What a svelt figure you were back in the 70,s with your white suit and black shirt gatoring on the dance floor on Euclid ave.

    All kidding aside,I hope you try the towpath next visit.

  4. #54
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry
    I remember you headlined at LMPC as "Gary the Disco King"!What a svelt figure you were back in the 70,s with your white suit and black shirt gatoring on the dance floor on Euclid ave.

    All kidding aside,I hope you try the towpath next visit.
    Thanks!

    Back when I was at Cleveland State (5th graduating class), I had a bike of sorts. My buddies and I had great fun riding down in the Flats way before the yuppies discovered that area. We'd find old industrial castoffs and junk and bring 'em back to the house we were renting. For instance, the old wooden cable rolls made great tables. We found an old bathtub someone had tossed, brought it back, and made a small "pond" in the backyard. We even found a way into an abandoned sub-basement in the Terminal Tower, complete with old RR tracks, old equipment, and such. We were able to ride one of those manual push/pull carts on the rails for a short distance. It was a fun time!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •