Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-07, 08:45 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
OT-Anyone have a good On-line

forum for getting advice on car repair issues???

My trusty Bike Mobile with 440k is acting up and my mechanic and I are stumped.....It is a battery charging issue and we've done the traditional troubleshooting and remedies but with no success. I know electrical issues can be the biggest pain to find and resolve but this one just doesn't seem like it could be that hard...but for some reason it is. Even my electrical engineering degree is not helping out.......or maybe it is getting in the way..........

Can anyone here point me towards a good forum on auto repairs where I can seek some experience like I occaisonally get here.

I'd toss the car and just commute by bike but the job demands travel and sometimes taking customers along. Maybe I could investigate into those bike "taxis".
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 10:04 PM   #2
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
440K? wow
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 10:15 PM   #3
CrossChain

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike Mobile ?? Anything with 440K I'm blown away with....but what is it? (I'm probably the only doesn't-have-a-clue guy here.
CrossChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 10:29 PM   #4
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You might try http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=64. That's the auto section of a very general discussion forum. There's maybe two or three guys that are pretty sharp.

I was there early enough to grab my own name, so you can tell them roger sent you. Won't help; won't hurt.
Old 03-07-07, 04:19 AM   #5
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Did you change out the battery cables?
crazyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 07:55 AM   #6
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Clean both ends of any grounding straps & reattach. This was the solution to my son's BMW that showed every indication of being possessed. It had charging issues even after a new battery & alternator. Also turn lights on, wipers would stop. Lights off, turn on wipers & engine would die. Cleaned, reattached engine to firewall & negative battery ground straps, problem solved. Don
ollo_ollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 08:17 AM   #7
Stevie47

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What kind of car and what are the charging issues? Maybe we can help here. (Electrical engineering degree for me also and a car fixin guy too)
Stevie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 05:49 PM   #8
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
The van is a 1991 Toyota Previa. Thanks for the tips. I'm at the point of making sure I troubleshoot everything. It's a super vehicle and runs just great. It doesn't use oil nor does it leak any oil-or any fluids for that matter. It's good on gas mileage, easy on tires (90,000 on the current set) and I really like being able roll my bike into the back of it and strapping it to the side. My golf clubs fit neatly alongside the bike.

With 3 college tuitions I don't have a choice but to keep it running until it just decides to call it quits.
Old 03-08-07, 06:24 AM   #9
Carusoswi

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We won't ban you (not that we could) if you slip up and tell us more about what the problem is.

Caruso
Carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 06:21 PM   #10
jppe
Let's do a Century

Problem solved!!!

It turned out to be a bad starter that was the issue and not the battery or the altenator. It was weird as the car would jump off and start from another car and also after I would charge the battery.

It was hard to diagnose as it happened very infrequently and was totally unpredictable-plus the starter was only a few months old so who would have thought......

Anyway the bikemobile is back up and running again and I have a good start at putting on the next 400,000 miles. Now I'll feel a little better about investing in a 100,000 mile set of tires......