Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone..........???

Anyone here around the Nw AR, Sw Mo area? I am not yet 50 but would like to find some beginners to maybe go ride with once in awhile. I am 41 but just beginning so most times I feel like I am 82

Faith1st
    Never take away a person's hope. It may be all they have.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ... 41, eh?

Should we talk to this person?

"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Hmmm ... 41, eh?

Should we talk to this person?

Perhaps we ought to find some 50+ers so they can show him what we can do. Then he has 9 years to get fit to be able to stay with them. And you have to take pity on a newbie if he can only find the 21 year old whippets to ride with.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Faith
    I used to live near Ft. Smith years ago. That's some pretty hilly country. Hope you find someone to ride with.
    Wayne

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Perhaps we ought to find some 50+ers so they can show him what we can do. Then he has 9 years to get fit to be able to stay with them. And you have to take pity on a newbie if he can only find the 21 year old whippets to ride with.

My intuition tells me she has 9 years to get fit
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked into local cycling clubs? They often have a ride suitable for beginners. In our area the local parks has a biking program aimed toward new riders.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Now thats different-----

Faith
    What bike- what type of riding

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you clarified the She part. If some of these guys had paid attention to previous posts then they would have been more willing to talk.

If you can put up with the geezers Faith1st then we will talk to you. No snobs here.....nope...not here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

Verrrrrry new...Lots of questions

I am 41 years old this month. A long overdue doctor visit has given me a wakeup call. My parents both have had heart and diabetic issues. Mom reversed her diabetes with diet, exercise and early diagnosis. I am 5ft 7 and just weighed in at 265. What a blow! It crushed my spirit. I quit smoking (after 20 yrs) cold turkey 3 years ago. I have gained 100 lbs in 3 years and I am devastated to the most terrifying point in my life. I am a divorced (9yrs) Christian woman who knows that God never intended me to live like this.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 40+ Forum!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me use this as my first opportunity since turning the official age to shun a youngster.

I say we need to interpret the forum name literally! No more youngsters corrupting us mature people!

Does anyone remember if this is my second "first shunning"? I may want to make it a tradition.

Seriously though, Welcome!!!!!
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too say welcome to the forum and hope that you can find some one or two or three to push pedal widya... I too like the idea of looking for a local bike club or whatever to get info... maybe even at the local health center or "senior center" OR even at church... you could get some information on interested parties.
    peace and good....

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Faith1st. Riding by yourself can be a very fun thing also, then you always get to go the speed you want. And this is a wonderful forum for questions and support. I hope it turns into a passion for you!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about halfway between Branson and Springfield. If you would like to join Lovey and I on a ride someday, you would be welcome. Trust me, you don't need to worry about us riding off and leaving you if you get my drift. We ride around the country where we live and also go to Springfield and ride the bike trials there. If you want to plan something, PM me and we can start working it out.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, faith1st, I'm in Springdale, AR. Last year, I began riding with a group known as the Ozark Roadies. I was on the return loop from a solo ride when I happened on them. They invited me to ride on in with them, which I did. This is what one might characterize as an eclectic group... old, young, male, female riding road bikes, mountain bikes, and recumbents. Generally, the pace is fairly relaxed. Distances range from maybe 20 miles up to 35 or 40 miles. The group makes stops enroute. This is not an official club. The group leader sends out an e-mail with details of the next ride, route, where and when to meet etc. Rides are generally on Saturdays. Send me a PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for the responses. I may have been a little premature in asking as I am still working on doing 5 miles in one ride. I will keep working every day at it and I will get there! I so appreciate the responses and the support in BF. Each and every one of you are truly wonderful. Doctorj and Terrierman thanks for the invites and I will catch up. Right now I think I would be left in your dust I WON'T GIVE UP THOUGH and I will keep you posted. Thanks again to all.

Faith1st

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ArtKansas is in Little Rock, I think, but that may be too far from you. If you search in some of the forums you'll probably find Missouri, Arkansas, etc mentioned...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by faith1st
    Wow! Thanks for the responses. I may have been a little premature in asking as I am still working on doing 5 miles in one ride. I will keep working every day at it and I will get there! I so appreciate the responses and the support in BF. Each and every one of you are truly wonderful. Doctorj and Terrierman thanks for the invites and I will catch up. Right now I think I would be left in your dust I WON'T GIVE UP THOUGH and I will keep you posted. Thanks again to all.
    Keep at it!! I can remember just a few short years ago when a 5 mile ride seemed out of the question for me, too
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep at it!! I can remember just a few short years ago when a 5 mile ride seemed out of the question for me, too
    +1

You will make gradual improvements, and it won't be long until you consider the first 5 miles a warm-up.

My first ride was around the long block I lived on, just over a half mile and it was almost dead flat. I say almost, because on the back side of the block I felt like I was climbing in a Tour de France mountain stage. I took off knowing I needed to take it easy, and still ended out of breath and wondering if cycling was really as much fun as it was when I was a teen... And now I know the answer is yes!

If you stick to it, you will be surprised at how soon you will be riding your age...

One other thing... every day may be pushing it, unless one or two days a week are very easy rides. Rest and recovery is important for your body too... in the proper amounts. Ride most days, but take periodic rest days too.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody. You don't know what this support means to someone who had given up for the last two years. When I quit smoking I successfully battled the bulge the whole first year and then WHAM!! It started sticking to me and I gained and gained. I was sooooooo depressed. A year before that I had been fired, for the first time ever, when my boss decided to make me the sacrificial scape-goat to his boss. I lost almost everything. *********** Not any more! I have a great job, I bought a house (nothing fancy) and I am now MAKING IT I refuse to quit. I finally realized that Faith, with a shred of doubt, is not really Faith. God did much bigger miracles than getting me back on top of things! ********* Anyhow, you never know what a person is down to, or what is really going on at home. When you guys encourage someone, you might be the one who made them think it was worth it to push ahead. I just wanted you to know it means alot more than you sometimes realize and most of all THANK YOU.........I'll be in here regularly.

Faith1st

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the willpower to quit smoking proves how strong you are. With that kind of strength and determination you won't have any trouble becoming a strong cyclist.

Welcome.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by faith1st
    ********* Anyhow, you never know what a person is down to, or what is really going on at home. When you guys encourage someone, you might be the one who made them think it was worth it to push ahead. I just wanted you to know it means alot more than you sometimes realize and most of all THANK YOU.........I'll be in here regularly.
    Not too regularly I hope as you should be out on the bike.

Just because your milage is low- Don't think you are not ready to join a group such as doctor j's. Getting in with a bunch of fellow riders will up your milage very quickly. Admittedly you might have to ask for an escape route or short cut back home on the first ride- but a lot of us do go out at our pace and take a relaxing ride, even if they do take a bit longer than we anticipated.

All we need is for DG to get in with a group for his next goal, and then he can get his imperial century in some time this decade- Theres not much time left Gary.

Spike Milligan