Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Prostate Surgery

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Prostate Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 12:41 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesurf
IThe doctor still has to go over what he wants to do with the enlarged prostate, but I know the first thing to go is the Fizik Arione seat on the Bianchi. Next, I'm going to one of those Specialized Body Geometry Shops and try to figure this seating position stuff out. It makes sense that the seat could have contributed to it as most of the riding I've been doing for the past 1.5 years has been on that Fizik saddle.
Cycling will have no effect on the prostate- except an enlarged prostate may be painfull sitting on a saddle. I never had that- but if the saddle is causing discomfort- then obviously it has to go. Good luck in finding one.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-14-08, 10:28 PM

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos to everyone who wants to get back to riding. I had robotic surgery last September when I was 56. I was back on the bike (Lemond) in five weeks. Started with very short rides, stopping frequently to readjust my Terry Liberator Y saddle. Increased distance slowly without much intensity. Did 25 miles before 3 month appointment. Rode 2-day, 200-mile Seattle-to-Portland in July. Bought a used mountain bike in May and now I'm having fun on that.
I had some soreness after I started riding for a few months, but I had soreness just sitting around anyway. Probably from scar tissue. I just kept it slow and easy. Now I feel as good as ever on a bike (I don't race. I just enjoy long rides). Actually, I don't have the urge to stop at every porta-potty anymore.
Old 09-15-08, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad went to California for Proton treatments then last year my uncle also went & they both are doing fine. There is no surgery and my dad said it doesn't hurt but it does take a couple months for the procedure. Just thought I would share in case it is an option for some.
Here is what there web site says;

Proton therapy is a precise form of radiation treatment for prostate cancer that minimizes damage to healthy tissue and results in fewer side effects. This painless treatment has been proven to improve control of your cancer and reduce complications during and after the proton therapy procedure.

Having treated over 12,000 patients the Proton Treatment Center at Loma Linda University Medical Center has pioneered the use of proton therapy to treat prostate cancer and tend to the mind, body, and spirit of our cancer patients.
Old 09-15-08, 06:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=w2brdbkr;7470864]My dad went to California for Proton treatments then last year my uncle also went & they both are doing fine. There is no surgery and my dad said it doesn't hurt but it does take a couple months for the procedure. Just thought I would share in case it is an option for some.
Here is what there web site says; [QUOTE]

The issue with any form of radiation for prostate cancer is that it's a one-shot deal. If the cancer reemerges after radiation treatment, then there is no treatment left except hormone suppression which is not the greatest lifestyle. Then it's effectiveness eventually stops as the body becomes intolerant of the drugs I believe.

If the surgery fails as it did with me, then you have radiation as an available backup. My cancer returned after 6 years. I underwent radiation (with over a year of hormone suppression treatment) and have been cancer free for almost 5 years. You never feel cured with prostate cancer as sometimes you're not.

The one-shot factor was the reason I went with the surgery. It seemed the least risk option.

Al
Old 09-16-08, 07:45 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got the newest PSA and it is now 8.7. Up from 7.9 last year, just before the biopsy. Biopsy was negative. Now waiting for the Urologist to make another appointment with him. Digital exam has never found anything that would make them suspicious. I might add my Urologist is renowned for the size of his fingers. I really don't know what to think about all this and I hope to find out more info soon.
Old 09-17-08, 05:37 PM
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cgallagh
Just got the newest PSA and it is now 8.7. Up from 7.9 last year, just before the biopsy. Biopsy was negative. Now waiting for the Urologist to make another appointment with him. Digital exam has never found anything that would make them suspicious. I might add my Urologist is renowned for the size of his fingers. I really don't know what to think about all this and I hope to find out more info soon.
Very glad to hear your Biopsy was negative - thank God!

If you are comparing Digital Exams, every time I go to the Docs' he has a trainee there, so I get stuck twice; oh the humanities!
Old 09-17-08, 10:02 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told to have another blood test in January, the second anniversary of the initial high reading. I was told that increases in PSA numbers are compared over a two year period and if your numbers increase over .75 percent per year then you get another biopsy.

To the Op, I hope all goes well with the surgery and you are back in the saddle before too long.
Old 09-18-08, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from a 6-month check-up with my Urologist. I gave him a copy of the article on post surgery satisfaction, excerpts of which I posted above. He just returned from a conference.

It appears that there are two opposing factions in the prostate surgery world: the perineal surgery faction (what I had 10 years ago) and the robotics faction. It appears that the results are identical except for incontinence. The rate for perineal is 5% and for robots it's 15%. He says these data have yet to be published, but were discussed at the conference.

My urologist was one of the first in the country to do the perineal and he will stay with it due to the incontinence issue. A doctor in the office has switched back from robotics to perineal.

Al
Old 09-18-08, 01:21 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
While I went through my Prostate Op- One of my work colleagues contacted me. He is 10 older than me and had a PSA rating of 21 and rising each year. Biopsy every 6 months and no sign of Cancer at all and none of the usual prostate problems. What reminde me of him is that he has just died at 74. Heart failure after a Chest infection.

High PSA ratings are not always a sign of problems

Spike Milligan
Old 09-18-08, 03:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just some more info

: HI,
I have a friend that works out at a local Gym And I followed him thru a prostate problem,
His Dr opted for the isotope therapy where they put radioactive needles in the tumor and let them burn out the cancer, He had very little down time, and has been Okay so far its been acouple years.
I am not sure what the defining decision point for Surgery versus the needle isotope, I would opt for the second procedure if I had to choose, because the more invasive procedure can disrupt tissue and very delicate nerves that play a major role in sexual function.
He says HE's as strong as ever with the ladies. not sure what that means.
DOUg

PSPS Never have your PSA drawn the Day of the rectal exam because the digital manipulation of the prostate can raise the PSA for a couple days in the blood.
. DR's are very smart but often are rushed to complete task and forget minor details.... My Path DR at my JOB in the lab flipped out when the Dr ordered a PSA post rectal exam..DUH! He was corrected and now does it correctly, HEHE.

Last edited by djnzlab1; 09-18-08 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 03:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just some more info

Radiotherapy Clinics of Georgia is a Center of Excellence for prostate cancer treatment and research. Each year thousands of men from all over the world come to Atlanta to receive treatment for prostate cancer at RCOG.
  • RCOG is the oldest prostate seed implant program in the world.
  • The first prostate implant for prostate cancer was performed in 1977, and the first patient was treated with the combination therapy now called ProstRcision in 1979.
  • RCOG is the only source for ProstRcision, in which 2 forms of radiation therapy are used to destroy the prostate gland. Over 1,000 men are treated annually and close to 10,000 men have received treatment with ProstRcision.
  • RCOG maintains a computerized ProstRcision database. Using this data, doctors can accurately calculate the likelihood of cure for each individual by comparing the PSA, Gleason Score and stage of each new patient's cancer with men with the same factors who previously received treatment at RCOG.
  • Cure rates at RCOG are calculated using a PSA of 0.2 ng/ml. RCOG is the only radiation facility in the United States to use this standard of cure which is the same for radical prostatectomy.
  • RCOG has been responsible for more published research papers on prostate cancer than any other facility in Georgia.
DOUg GO >>here to see what can happen if you ignore your prostate, I had a pathology DR tell if I live to be 90 I will probably get prostate cancer it just happens in most older men over ..

https://www.prostatecancerlaw.com/

Last edited by djnzlab1; 09-18-08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 05:47 PM
Specialized Sirrus LTD

Bikes: Secialized Sirrus Ltd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stapfam: In as much as you live in Great Britain, have you ever tried a Brooks saddle?
Old 09-19-08, 11:53 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hotwired
Stapfam: In as much as you live in Great Britain, have you ever tried a Brooks saddle?
I tried one about 12 years ago- For about 400 miles and lots of Adjustments made to it and I did not like it. When I went through my Saddle problem after the prostate op- I tried the same saddle again and sold it very Quickly soon afterwards.

Me and Brooks do not work well together.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-19-08, 06:05 PM

Bikes: bacchetta agio, dahon helios

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had cryosurgery for prostate cancer 7/07. Pedalled my Leitra to get the catheter out. Got back on my Bacchetta Agio the next day and rode just as comfortably as ever. There was some brusing in the perineum but only uncomfortable when seated in wrong position, easily relieved by shifting pressure point. PSA had been rising exponentially and was up to 10.
Old 03-29-13, 12:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but it's important for folks to know that having enlarged prostate surgery need not cause an end to your cycling. I had Green Laser Surgery, and only four weeks after my operation, I'm already taking long bike rides. You can learn more about the entire process via my blog. I documented the entire process from my initial trip by ambulance to the emergency room, to Nordic skiing 23+ miles in one day just 8 days after my surgery. I waited four weeks for my first bike ride due to great Spring snow conditions. I did not want to stop skiing!
Old 03-30-13, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesurf
So, excuse the thread bump, but I just had the needle biopsy today and (literally) will have to be on pins and needles for a week when I get the results. The urologist that I went to does the robotic surgery, but I hope it won't come to that.

I'm curious what PSA's and symptoms you folks had. My PSA is 1.9 and the prostate is firmer on one side than the other, with a tiny bump that my doctor noticed.
Its not what the PSA number is, but the change from the previous test. Mine was cancer at 1.23 but my baseline was .75. Wish you the best.

As for riding, I had some complications & didn't get back on the bike for around 8 weeks. Started with a MTB on the road for 2 weeks then on to the road bike on smooth roads. I was told if it hurts STOP which I did. Did a metric in 3 months.
Old 03-30-13, 06:53 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sallison
I will be undergoing robotic prostate surgery next week, but would like to get back to racing by the end of June. I would appreciate hearing about the experiences of those who have gone through this procedure and gotten back to riding. I am told that it is important to stay off the bike for up to 8 weeks, but other forms of training will be ok.

Thanks,
I have not had it. But reading through this thread I was surprised at the number of men who reported increased saddle soreness long after the operation. But, logically, that doesn't make sense to me: the physician removed tissue, so if anything I would think pressure should be relieved...

I am wondering: is it scar tissue causing increased pressure?

If it is, perhaps you surgeon may be able to make adjustment that will minimize the scar tissue in the perennial area. I am think that for most people that would not be a problem so they don't worry about it. But for a cyclist it is... Can't hurt to ask him!