Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Mixte still lives

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Mixte still lives

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 10:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Mixte still lives

I found a company that still makes mixte frame bikes ... Rivendell!

And I love the men's mixte's name, the Wilbury.

https://www.rivbike.com/bikes/mixte

They only weigh 10 ounces more than a standard Rivendell frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mixte52Pea.jpg (24.8 KB, 32 views)
WilburyRedSV.jpg (19.4 KB, 30 views)
mixteriv.jpg (26.6 KB, 26 views)

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-09-07, 10:23 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They also stock crocheted back gloves. Iff my LBS can't get near that price I will buy a pair. Until I can not throw my leg over a stock frame I am not sure way a Mixte is special. When that happend I can get a recumbent. Sincerely, I would like to understand what is special about a mixte..
Old 03-09-07, 10:25 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have purchased crocheted back, half-finger gloves in the Planet Bike brand for around $10.

https://ecom1.planetbike.com/glove9000.html

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-09-07, 10:29 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty gloves and only $2 more then Nashbar and Performance. Rivendell is $15.00. My last two set wore the right hand out first. Now I ride with one left hand glove turned inside out and both are crumbling. The Riv one looks tougher then the others. Still, will check the LBS first.
Old 03-09-07, 10:29 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannondale markets some of their bikes as mixtes in other countries, but the same bikes are sold in the USA as Women's hybrids. And they do not have the characteristic mixte extra pair of seat stays. Neither do they have dual top tubes. So I don't know where they get off claiming they are mixtes.

Old 03-09-07, 10:31 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just found the Rivendell gloves. Those look like they may be a bit better than the Planet Bike gloves. I like my PB crocheted gloves, very cool in the summer.

Old 03-09-07, 10:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It did occur that Mixtes are good for people wearing skirts. I am searching to see if there are any useful posts about those "retro" crocheted gloves.
Old 03-09-07, 10:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Comparing the two Rivendell mixtes, the women's model (1st picture on left in 1st post) vs the men's model (2nd picture), you can see that on the men's model, the top tube has greater separation and is higher on the head tube than the women's model.

Old 03-09-07, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotten a pair of the Rivendell crocheted gloves. They are very well made, and lasted a long time. Unfortunately, the smallest size they carry are XL, and my hands were a bit too small for them. When I perspired, they got hard to control.

https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/clothing/22137.html
Old 03-09-07, 10:51 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big Paulie has small hands? Are they gentle and soft too?
Old 03-09-07, 10:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Big Paulie has small hands?
NO!

Just a bit too small for XL gloves!
Old 03-10-07, 06:28 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Neither do they have dual top tubes. So I don't know where they get off claiming they are mixtes.
A true mixte has twin top tubes. The two top tubes are smaller in diameter as well. Mixtes have beautiful proportions when they have the twin top tubes. Yes, one can ride one wearing a skirt (although I wear skirts even on my diamond frame road bikes), but mostly it's for people who for one reason or another cannot quite get their leg over a traditional diamond frame.

But the Rivendells have beautiful lug work .

East Hill
Old 03-10-07, 08:00 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
It did occur that Mixtes are good for people wearing skirts. I am searching to see if there are any useful posts about those "retro" crocheted gloves.
I wonder if they're more popular in Scotland.
Old 03-10-07, 08:50 AM
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Could be more popular in Seattle, too:

https://www.utilikilts.com/

East Hill
Old 03-10-07, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Not skirts.......KILTS. Considering what is (not) worn under a KILT....tis not appropriate for cycling in public.
Old 03-10-07, 09:12 AM
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrifty1
Not skirts.......KILTS. Considering what is (not) worn under a KILT....tis not appropriate for cycling in public.
hehehehe

I've actually seen someone wearing one of the Utilikilts riding a bike...you might think it odd, but when I've worn skirts riding, my skirts at least do not flap in the wind--they stay put exactly where they should be.

East Hill
Old 03-10-07, 05:56 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannondale markets some of their bikes as mixtes in other countries, but the same bikes are sold in the USA as Women's hybrids. And they do not have the characteristic mixte extra pair of seat stays. Neither do they have dual top tubes. So I don't know where they get off claiming they are mixtes.
However, I must admit that the Cannondale Road Warrior 400 Feminine is the closest geometry to a mixte that I've seen from a large bike company in their 2007 lines. The down tube is very close to where a mixte tube would be. And with its 700x32 tires, fixed fork, and road saddle, it retains some of the spirit of a road mixte.
Attached Images
roadwarrior.jpg (13.8 KB, 10 views)