Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   N + 1: It’s the Law (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/276971-n-1-s-law.html)

Coyote! 03-12-07 02:18 PM

N + 1: It’s the Law

That of course is the formula for the optimal number of bicycles and this weekend I complied. The “plan” had been to save the pocket change and go full-suspension this Fall. . .Kona Kikapu Deluxe, which was the absolute upper limit of the fiscal projections. . .plus a skosch. Friday, I found a [fairly] local Craigslist offering of an ’06 Kikapu King which is the next step up for MUCH less than I was planning to spend. No apparent frame or other issues [albeit no ‘lifetime’ frame warranty], but I’m as tickled as a. . .well, a coyote in a chicken coop [Surely you don’t have to be a coyote to see the fun in THAT!].

Anyway, as usual Ms. Coyote gave me 'the look'. . .but she doesn't understand about the Law.

Now, what to do about the old TREK 930, and the old TREK FZ3000, and. . .

LynnH 03-12-07 02:20 PM

Way to go, sounds like a super deal, and earlier than you expected!

robtown 03-12-07 02:25 PM

I violated the law last week and did a N+2 transaction. I've since parted out the surplus bike to restore symmetry.

:) Sweet deal on your craigslist find :) but a tolerant lady is a rare find indeed!

Tom Bombadil 03-12-07 02:27 PM

Not to go on All-Fours; that is the Law.
Not to suck up Drink; that is the Law.
Not to eat Fish or Flesh; that is the Law.
Not to claw the Bark of Trees; that is the Law.
Not to chase other Men; that is the Law.

BluesDawg 03-12-07 02:28 PM

WTG, coyote!

:beer:

Tom Bombadil 03-12-07 02:29 PM

Is there a resting period wherein one can sit at N bikes before being subject to the N+1 law?

I ask because I purchased a bike in November, another one in December, and yet another one in January.

Coyote! 03-12-07 02:49 PM

Tom asked. . .

>>> Is there a resting period wherein one can sit at N bikes before being subject to the N+1 law?

I think I remember seeing something in the regs about a "daily bag limit', otherwise it's n + 1 sorry, no exceptions.

oilman_15106 03-13-07 07:01 AM

I was at brunch on Sunday with some Pro Soccer players that lived with us for a season a couple of years ago. One asked if I was still ebaying and buying bikes! I answered, er .... not too much these days. The Mrs. gave me the look of death and said the basement is full of bikes!

Floyd 03-13-07 07:57 AM

This may be gettin off topic but I have a shed full of OLD bikes ready for fixing or being used to make bents or trikes OR going to the recycler.
I been out several days to add my +1 to the equasion on those days.

robtown 03-13-07 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Is there a resting period wherein one can sit at N bikes before being subject to the N+1 law?

I ask because I purchased a bike in November, another one in December, and yet another one in January.

Sounds like you have a nice steady cadence going, why disrupt it now?

overthehillmedi 03-13-07 10:06 AM

Oops,I just realized I broke the Law,I gave away two bikes cleaning out the joint in preperation to moving to a LBS that re and re's them to pass along to persons in need. Sorry about that!

Artkansas 03-13-07 10:46 AM

I almost succumbed this weekend.

I'm spending 10 days out in Santa Cruz on business. The hotel is within pedaling distance of work. On Saturday I found myself in the Salvation Army store looking at 3 mountain bikes in their stock, each of which was cheaper than a day's rental on a bike at the bike store near the hotel.

But eventually I decided against the plan. The killer was getting the bike back to the hotel without messing up the rental car. I suppose that I could have ridden the bike to the hotel and then taken the bus back to downtown. That seemed rather long. And I have been treating my knees to a little recovery time from my usual car-free lifestyle.

But it certainly is wonderful to be in such a bike-friendly town. Gawd, bicycles everywhere!

stapfam 03-13-07 11:51 AM

If I was going full suspension- It would be a Whyte 46 or the Kona Kikapu- in some form or the other. They are the only suspension bikes that gave me a good ride on a test day llast year and I tried over 20 bikes. Nearly went for the Kikapu King at a discounted price- Till I tried the Whyte- So I bought a road bike and paid off my daughters Uni Fees instead.

Coyote! 03-13-07 12:34 PM

Well I took her out this AM and drew "First Mud". What a hoot! This is the first time I've spent hours-n-hours on a full suspension. What a difference it makes in jarring of the old bones. I can't wait to get her down in the George Washington National Forest [GeWaNatFo].

On the down side, my ride took me through a nearby National Park and while there a yearling white tail deer dashed out in front of me. She was staggering and couldn't keep her feet for more than a step or two. There was no apparent injury and I reported it because of the outward appearance of "mad deer" disease. The staff told me that it's been detected in white tails about 50 miles to the southwest of the area and they're on the lookout.

stapfam 03-13-07 04:05 PM

Bl**dy newcomers- WHERE'S THE PICS!!!!