Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new to the forum and I have been reluctant to post as most of you are much more into biking than I will ever be. I just would like any advise any of you could offer to help me enjoy my new found hobby (or sport). Let me introduce myself: I am a 58 (soon to be 59) year old male that needs to expand my cardio workout activities. I suffered a heart attack last November and have decided to change my life. I now do a brisk walk every night 2 miles (36 minutes) on the treadmill or 3.5 miles (1 hour) outside. I am lifting weights 20 to 30 minutes 3 times a week and now I plan on riding a bicycle two or three times a week. I plan on starting out small 10 to 15 miles at a time eventually increasing to 25 to 30 miles. I will probably stop at different locations along the shore to enjoy the views and the wildlife. I just purchased two Raleigh Venture 4.0 bikes (one for my wife). I really would like to get as much out of this as I can. I enjoy the exercise that I currently do and can only imagine that biking would be the most fun. Any advise will be appreciated.

CHEERS,
Old 03-14-07, 02:35 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't sound like you need any advise -- your doing all the right things. One thing I might suggest if you plan of doing 15 - 20 mile rides is make sure that you get bike shorts (if you haven't already), they will make a world of difference. Starting out slow is the best way to go, you will be surprise how quickly you get up to more mileage, but don't try to rush it, listen to your body. I'm sure you and your wife will have a great time riding around, it's a whole new way of looking at things. Have a great time and keep us posted and post some pictures if you can.
Old 03-14-07, 02:43 PM
NadaKid

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi and Welcome
When I got older (50) I switched to a hybrid style bike and I really enjoy it.
I've got lots of good info from this forum, hope you will too.
Wayne
Old 03-14-07, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
10 or 15 miles right out-of-the-box might be a little ambitious. Don't feel bad if it takes a while to build up to that. My advice is to try to find a different route every time that you ride and don't keep score about how far or fast you're going. If you do that, far and fast will eventually come.
Old 03-14-07, 03:08 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You may not be into biking and may not class yourself as a biker- But 10 to 15 miles 3 times a week shows that you could be. I can assure you that if you are new to biking- You have a bit of pain to come. 10 miles on a new saddle on a new bike is going to hurt. Don't give up as that is probably the worst pain you will get. Can't suggest a cure for that except only ride when the pain allows- normally about 3 or 4 days after the last ride- and go at your pace. Do not get tempted into chasing the 12 year olds down the road. They may not have the stamina for a ten mile ride- but they can wear you out in 3.

Welcome and don't feel that you are not as serious as some of us are. We all had to start somewhere and for some of us, that was not too long ago. Now when do you do your birthday ride? and hopefully you say next year, what pie? and is it homemade?

Spike Milligan
Old 03-14-07, 03:08 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Don't be surprised if you find that bicycling consumes more of your life than you might expect.

I too started at age 58 with a mtn bike. Before I knew it I was riding many miles, and in 4 months, I rode the Ride the Rockies - 350 miles of Colorado passes and high country in 7 days.

Now, I also have 2 "road bikes" and a trrainer bike, and ride about 4,000 miles per year.

As Retro Grouch has said, 15 miles at a start may be stretching it a bit. Start slow.
Old 03-14-07, 03:25 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Once you get comfortable on the bikes I can recoment taking them on the ferry over to Block Island.
Perhaps even up to Cape Cod for a ride on the trail along the Cape Cod Canal.
Old 03-14-07, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Litespeed: "make sure that you get bike shorts (if you haven't already), they will make a world of difference"

Are there any long pants that you would recommend for cooler weather?

I really appreciate all the response (so quickly). I plan on riding to a state park (only 5 miles from my house) Then ride 5 to 10 miles around the park before returning home. Of course I will rest (if needed) at some point, maybe enjoy a cool bottle of water & a snack prior to returning.

Maddmaxx, funny you should mention Block Island as that was the first place my wife mentioned.

Again, thanks to all of you for your welcome and advise.

Cheers

Last edited by CTYankee; 03-14-07 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-14-07, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome. There are all types of bikers in this forum.
Old 03-14-07, 04:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Now when do you do your birthday ride? and hopefully you say next year, what pie? and is it homemade?
Birthday ride: Next month
Pie: Blueberry
Homemade: U BETTCHA
Old 03-14-07, 04:44 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, and I hope and I think the riding will be all pleasure!
Old 03-14-07, 05:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi CTYankee....it's all been said above. Post your experiences and questions and people will be happy, in fact, more than happy, to offer advice and encouragement. People here with all degrees of commitment, experience, and all styles of riding. And now you're one of us, too.
Old 03-14-07, 05:22 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by CTYankee
Litespeed: "make sure that you get bike shorts (if you haven't already), they will make a world of difference"

Are there any long pants that you would recommend for cooler weather?

Cheers
There are lots of options to keep the legs warm. Interestingly you'll still perspire so the trick is to use materials that wick the moisture away from the skin and breathes. If it's a material that doesn't breathe the moisture can stay trapped and you can get chilled.

My preference is a pair of tights that I wear over bike shorts. You can also find leg warmers that are super long socks that go from your ankles up and over the knees.

You should find that will not need as much clothing as you might think as the energy used to ride will help keep you a little warm.

Canari is an entry level brand.

Nashbar, Performance Bike, Long Cycle and Price Point are all some web sites you might check out for various options.

Last edited by jppe; 03-15-07 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
You're in for a lot of fun, welcome and take it easy.
Old 03-14-07, 05:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome.....to the wonderful world of endless cycling options/enjoyment.
Your post heart attack recovery is impressive.
Old 03-14-07, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
We're serious about our riding, but just as serious about humor and good natured kidding.

Welcome aboard CTYankee.
Old 03-14-07, 06:18 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
CTYankee, that's a dynamic bike you purchased. In addition to road riding, you might want to consider some light, gravel trails such as those found in the Rails to Trails Conservancy site. There are two that I ride, and they're great fun. No cars, just folks enjoying nature.
Welcome to the forum, hope to see you posting again soon.
Old 03-14-07, 06:25 PM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good sign - blueberry pie. Gotta get to know this man....
Old 03-14-07, 08:45 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'm from Mansfield Center, CT (near UCONN). Have you ever ridden with Pequot Cyclists from down around Groton/New London/Norwich area? I've ridden with them a few times in the past couple years. It's an older crowd (I'm 60) and the rides are pretty mellow although you can ride at whatever pace you choose. I've found them to be quite sociable. Their Sun. and Weds. rides are fun rides.
Old 03-15-07, 03:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a great group! Thanks to all of you. I look forward to a long and healthy life of cycling. I did find two sites to search for rides. My bikes arrive this week, too bad the weather report is so poor.

Cheers
Old 03-15-07, 05:56 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to this group of all kinds of personalities and all ready to help a fellow bike enthuiast...and you sound enthused.
as for the clothing for "cooler" temps, my advise is try different thicknesses on several rides and see what keeps you warm. As Jppe says, you may want to do something over the bike shorts, or just try some of the warmer stuff you have in the closet...sweat pants or whatever... that was my technique and now I now how much I need to wear down to 40 degrees, that is my limit.... so far.
As far as distance, as all have said, start slow and don't push so much that you wear yourself out and don't like it. I have been riding forever and still only do 10-15 for my exercize rides.
Old 03-15-07, 06:33 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For keeping warm, your best bet is to "layer". This traps air in between each piece of clothing and actually makes you warmer. Trying to just have on one very heavy piece isn't as effective and if by some chance you were to start to get too warm, you wouldn't have any way of cooling down. Visit a local bike shop if you can and they can give you lots of helpful advise. Pretty soon you will be visiting them more then you realize just to see what you might need.
I don't think a weekend goes by when my husband and I don't stop at some bike shop "just to look". You will end up making a lot of new friends too that will love to talk about their bike and give you advise. You will have some really fun rides ahead of you--enjoy!!!
Old 03-15-07, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I agree about the layering in cold weather. I use up to 4 layers on top, but just shorts and leg warmers on the bottom with soft wool socks. A skull cap helps a lot. If you use a bike jersey with rear pockets you can stuff extra clothes in there if you shed layers. Some people wear a Camelbak and some of these have a lot of storage.
You might want to get "fitted" to your bikes. You don't have to pay someone for this, but learn about bike fit and take the time to set the bikes up for comfort.
Old 03-15-07, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
You might want to get "fitted" to your bikes. You don't have to pay someone for this, but learn about bike fit and take the time to set the bikes up for comfort.
Thanks, the place where I ordered it from is the largest in the area and is reputable. When I pick them up on Sunday they will not only fit them to both of us, they will go over everything I should be aware of and how to do routine maintenance. In addition, they will install the bike rack on my vehicle.
Old 03-15-07, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first re-entered cycling, after a several decade layoff, I rode with one simple rule in mind. "Ride as long, far, and hard as you want." For me this was based on my knoweldge of self which included the reality that I don't want much of anything that isn't fun. So, I simply rode when it was fun and didn't worry about anything esle. After about 6 months I found that I was getting in better shape, riding harder and longer rides while still enjoying them. Eventually, I reached the point where fun now includes challenging myself to really get the heart rate up there and/or the leg muscles burning. So, as someone just starting I'd encourage you not to worry too much about goals except for one... make sure you're having fun. Over time the rest will start to take care of itself.

Last edited by BSLeVan; 03-15-07 at 11:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.