Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Fast Is Fast?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How Fast Is Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Fast Is Fast?

Hi Everybody

I'm a new cyclist (about a year) and an ex-runner with burned out knees. Cycling has been my savior because I can still get a great cardio workout with absolutely no knee pain! I wish I had taken this up years ago...But my first of many questions is how fast do you ride? What speed is considered fit for a 53 y.o.? I'm training for my first century and my recent 50 mi was 2:58. How am I doing?
Old 03-14-07, 06:24 PM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it depends on your route. Where I ride (upper Montgomery County in Maryland), that would be a good time - but here there are a lot of hills, some with grades in the double digits. On a flatter course, it seems more reasonable. What's your course?
Old 03-14-07, 06:28 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReCycledRunner
Hi Everybody

I'm a new cyclist (about a year) and an ex-runner with burned out knees. Cycling has been my savior because I can still get a great cardio workout with absolutely no knee pain! I wish I had taken this up years ago...But my first of many questions is how fast do you ride? What speed is considered fit for a 53 y.o.? I'm training for my first century and my recent 50 mi was 2:58. How am I doing?
Well I started riding almost 2 years ago after many years away from riding. I use 10 mph as my rule of thumb, door to door including all stops, and on hilly terrain. So 50 miles is 5 hrs for me. If you're measuring the same way as me, you're doing really great!! If you're only measuring actual moving time on flat terrain, hey you're still doing great!!
Old 03-14-07, 06:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Richmond, Va. The routes here are rolling hills to flat. Nothing really steep. What's a decent time for a century?
Old 03-14-07, 06:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He..y thanks..hope I'm not over doing it.
Old 03-14-07, 06:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, your knees will tell you if you are (over doing it). Coming on too "fast" in your mileage, hill riding, etc. can result in overuse injuries by exceeding your level of fitness, etc. But, you've run long enough to know all that. Be alert to overtraining....otherwise, have a ball with your new sport!! And stick around the forums, too!
Old 03-14-07, 06:56 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm in Richmond, Va. The routes here are rolling hills to flat. Nothing really steep. What's a decent time for a century?
My best time for a century on a single bike was last year -- 5:50. It was a pretty flat course & there were no headwinds. I hammered the last 10 miles because I felt frisky.

Hubby & I just finished the Solvang Century on the tandem in 7:20, including stops. That's the same time we did the Tour de Palm Springs in -- a much flatter, less challenging route. We've only been riding tandem since Oct. '06 so we're happy with our time.

My average mph on a 30 mi. ride in my pre-century training last year was up to 18. I arbitrarily picked 20 mph for an average on a century, thinking in my naivete' that that would be very do-able. I failed to factor in the hills & weather variables, but obviously my lack of experience was no deterrant.

Just don't be in a hurry to get fit too fast. Remember, it's a process, not an event.

See you 'round the forums!
Old 03-15-07, 06:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
My best time for a century on a single bike was last year -- 5:50. It was a pretty flat course & there were no headwinds. I hammered the last 10 miles because I felt frisky.

Hubby & I just finished the Solvang Century on the tandem in 7:20, including stops. That's the same time we did the Tour de Palm Springs in -- a much flatter, less challenging route. We've only been riding tandem since Oct. '06 so we're happy with our time.

My average mph on a 30 mi. ride in my pre-century training last year was up to 18. I arbitrarily picked 20 mph for an average on a century, thinking in my naivete' that that would be very do-able. I failed to factor in the hills & weather variables, but obviously my lack of experience was no deterrant.

Just don't be in a hurry to get fit too fast. Remember, it's a process, not an event.

See you 'round the forums!
Thanks Red Rider. For my first century my main goal is to train right and, of course, finish. But my secondary goal is around 6:00. Like you I was pretty naive thinking a sustained 18-20mph wouldn't be that difficult. Wrong! This sport is tough. Did you do any group training or join a paceline during your single bike century?

BTW, did you guys sees any of the Tour of Calif. I watched a lot of it over the internet. Really great!
Old 03-15-07, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I was fortunate enough to see the TOC in person on the Balcom Canyon climb. It's 23% at the steep part and 1 kilometer to the top. Thousands of fans, noise, chaos, and those great riders going by. Quite a rush!
I never try for low time on centuries, but have done them from 6 to 11 hours, total time. We have some mountain centuries here in SoCal, and I'm not a great climber, so I just try to find my pace. Most of my riding is with a road club and we get some pretty fast pacelines going, but I don't care for that too much, because I'm struggling to stay on most of the time.
Old 03-15-07, 07:37 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I think you are a good candidate to be a riding buddy for JPPE (our resident speed and distance demon and bicycling whiz kid!)!

Welcome!

Obviously you are a competitive soul, and more power to you.

For me, a good time for a century is to finish the darn thing and get on with the pie!

Fortunately, there is room in these forums for all different types of riders.

But, mostly, enjoy!
Old 03-15-07, 07:38 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Six hours of riding time for a century will probably put you right in the middle of the pack, depending on how hilly it is. Expect stops to add to that, though. I hardly ever go for elapsed time on centuries, because I don't like having to carry that much food and water on the bike.
Old 03-15-07, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's 23% at the steep part and 1 kilometer to the top.

Not sure I could walk up that!
Old 03-15-07, 07:41 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Red Rider. For my first century my main goal is to train right and, of course, finish. But my secondary goal is around 6:00. Like you I was pretty naive thinking a sustained 18-20mph wouldn't be that difficult. Wrong! This sport is tough. Did you do any group training or join a paceline during your single bike century?

BTW, did you guys sees any of the Tour of Calif. I watched a lot of it over the internet. Really great!
My training took place in Jan. & Feb. last year, before I joined my local bike club. When the weather wasn't perfect I took indoor cycling classes. I learned about pacelines during the century. One flew by me & I went after that last wheel. I learned lots of hand signals & etiquette from those folks, who, once I fell off the back, I never saw again. That was definitely a "right place, right time" thing -- very cool.

Now that I've ridden with groups I understand the advantages. If you have the chance to train with a group and/or pacelines, by all means do it.

Will you be riding your centuries alone or with a friend?
Old 03-15-07, 07:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I think you are a good candidate to be a riding buddy for JPPE (our resident speed and distance demon and bicycling whiz kid!)!

Welcome!

Obviously you are a competitive soul, and more power to you.

For me, a good time for a century is to finish the darn thing and get on with the pie!

Fortunately, there is room in these forums for all different types of riders.

But, mostly, enjoy!

Thanks Dnvr Fox.....Yea, I've always enjoyed some competition but the older I get the more I look forward to the pie!
Old 03-15-07, 07:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
My training took place in Jan. & Feb. last year, before I joined my local bike club. When the weather wasn't perfect I took indoor cycling classes. I learned about pacelines during the century. One flew by me & I went after that last wheel. I learned lots of hand signals & etiquette from those folks, who, once I fell off the back, I never saw again. That was definitely a "right place, right time" thing -- very cool.

Now that I've ridden with groups I understand the advantages. If you have the chance to train with a group and/or pacelines, by all means do it.

Will you be riding your centuries alone or with a friend?

I'm training alone for this century but I've been looking for a partner or group. Unfortunately, my job keeps me out of town 15 days a month and it's tough to hook up with the local group rides. I did a couple of metric centuries last fall and got in a couple of pacelines. Awesome to see how your speed increases and a lot of fun too.
Old 03-15-07, 07:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Six hours of riding time for a century will probably put you right in the middle of the pack, depending on how hilly it is. Expect stops to add to that, though. I hardly ever go for elapsed time on centuries, because I don't like having to carry that much food and water on the bike.

Just curious. Do riders include stop times in their total or just actual time on the bike?
Old 03-15-07, 08:29 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just curious. Do riders include stop times in their total or just actual time on the bike?
When you are as slow as me- you go for the shortest time. Metric C and I wont stop except to fill water bottles, and 100 miles and I stop at around 65 miles to eat something a bit more substancial than what I have been eating on the ride.

Then on my (Nearly) annual ride, as I won't be doing it this year- I eat and eat, and eat, and eat and then I stop for a meal and then I eat a lot more. Then after the 12 hours slog- I find a KFC for some greasy fried chicken and chips- just to fill the gap that might be there. That is only 100 miles- but you might get used to us offroaders being a bit slow.

It all depends on the route- How fit you are- Weather conditions or anything else you can blame it on. I can do a metric in 4 hours but 100 miles will take me around 8- Its all that extra food I carry. Then throw in a bit of rain- and a headwind- and watch the clocks stop.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-15-07, 08:53 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Here's my feedback-I've been riding 6 years and do at least one century a month.

My fastest time riding in a group is around 4hr 45 min-I think that averages to 22-24 mph and the terrain is very similar to what you are riding. If I were doing it solo I would probably be in the 19-20 mph range. The middle of the pack is probably 5hr 30 min to 6 hrs.

The fastest/fittest guys are probably doing it around 25-26 mph.

I count stopping time but usually only stop 1 time on centuries where I'm being timed.

You're doing great with your current time and efforts. Just enjoy the riding and the performance will come over time.
Old 03-15-07, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Not sure I could walk up that!
I was there in the same group with Big John and you're right, it's VERY difficult to walk on particularly
in cleats.

As for your times and progress, sounds like you're doing fine.
Just have fun with it, speed will come. A six hour century is very respectable given a few small hills and
the occasional bit of headwind.
Old 03-15-07, 09:09 AM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me - count the entire time I'm out there. My last century was 9 hours - but that was a day after a huricanne came through so it was rainy, wet, dirty (couldn't see the course makers) - but fun. It turned out to be one of my most satisfying rides I've ever done - though on a good day, I'd expect to do the entire course in 7 hours or perhaps less. The key on ride like this (if you are keeping total time) is fewer and/or shorter stops.
Old 03-15-07, 09:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up the "decent time" thinking several years ago. There are just too many varaibles: terrain, the level and direction of wind, which bike I'm riding, etc. Just yesteday I rode a 24 mile out and back on fairly flat roads. The headwind kept my speed on the way out to just around 16mph. On the way back, I averaged 22 mph (much faster than usual due to the tailwind). What I use as a measure of fitness is how my heart rate recovers. The quicker my heart rate recovers, the higher the level of fitness. I also count miles... but not for fitness reasons.... more as a way to have goals to shoot for.
Old 03-15-07, 11:30 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I count total time when giving century times. A general run of the mill century for me is about 6.5-7 hours with a lot of socializing and hitting all stops. A solo century yields total times between 5 and 6 hours with one stop to re-fill water.

Old 03-15-07, 01:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Here's my feedback-I've been riding 6 years and do at least one century a month.

My fastest time riding in a group is around 4hr 45 min-I think that averages to 22-24 mph and the terrain is very similar to what you are riding. If I were doing it solo I would probably be in the 19-20 mph range. The middle of the pack is probably 5hr 30 min to 6 hrs.

The fastest/fittest guys are probably doing it around 25-26 mph.

I count stopping time but usually only stop 1 time on centuries where I'm being timed.

You're doing great with your current time and efforts. Just enjoy the riding and the performance will come over time.
WOW! That's a lot of riding JPPE. How old are you? Do you do the Mountains of Misery down there?
Old 03-15-07, 05:02 PM
Old Frogman

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm training alone for this century but I've been looking for a partner or group. Unfortunately, my job keeps me out of town 15 days a month and it's tough to hook up with the local group rides. I did a couple of metric centuries last fall and got in a couple of pacelines. Awesome to see how your speed increases and a lot of fun too.
What century are you training for? I live in Northern Virginia and I am trying to do at least 3 organized centuries this year. I only got to do one, the Reston Century, last season because of some physical ailments that stopped my training.

05 Specialized Sequoia Elite
07 Specialized Roubaix Comp
Old 03-16-07, 06:04 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
WOW! That's a lot of riding JPPE. How old are you? Do you do the Mountains of Misery down there?
I'm 54-starting riding again when I was 48. I have not done the MOM but very well might try and do it this year. I enjoy traveling around to do different rides. It looks like that last 5 miles or so on MOM is a real killer....I've never figured out the attraction of all these Centuries that finish on a darn hill or mountain. You would think that after riding about 100 miles they'd be more considerate and let you coast the last few miles.......

I gear my riding/"training" towards doing the longer rides versus working on speed for shorter rides. It's interesting how your body acclimates to doing the longer rides over a period of time. The metric centuries or 60 milers now feel like a good, decent workout. There's no magic to doing centuries but there are some nice payoffs. I always tell folks to be prepared for a rough last 20-25 miles or so on their first few. It's just something you have to push through....I think your body adjusts to it better the more you do, though.

Have fun riding!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.