Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is there a right way to fall off a bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 01:09 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Woodlark's post about falling and hitting his head and cracking his helmet got me thinking..... is there a proper way to fall off a bike? Someone suggested trying to fall more on the hip. My own personal fear (in addition to hitting my head or other worse injuries) is falling hard on my left hand (the one with the silicon carpal implant) and popping the prosthesis out. My husband's fear is damaging the titanium implant in his shoulder. It seems that my first instinct will be to put out my hand to brace my fall. Needless to say, it is better to land on my hand or his shoulder if it means protecting our heads.

And what about women with osteoporosis..... landing on a hip could mean not ever walking again.

So, is there a proper way to fall of a bike, if one is able to think fast enough?

Jen
Old 03-26-07, 01:14 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
According to popular lore, without sticking your hand out to catch yourself. This results in the most common bicycle bone break, the collarbone.
Old 03-26-07, 01:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There is no correct way to fall on a bike- Unless you are with clipless pedals and then it has to done in front of plenty of your neighbours and friends.

It takes a lot of skill to fall. Most people put out a hand or leg and that is the quickest way to break bones. Practice makes perfect but don't even try it with your problems. I have had plenty of practice and I get away with it 95% of the time. If I know I am going- I raise the pedal on the side I am falling and keep my hands on the bars and feet on the pedals.. The bike takes most of the knock but it can still hurt.

Falling just doesn't happen that often. I am an offroader and I fall - normally on grass or mud, but that is part of the "Enjoyment" of offroading. If you don't get home with mud down the neck- it was not a good ride. In 3,000 miles of Road riding in the last year I have fallen "0" times. That surprises me as it is a new bike- new riding position and I am not used to it. In fact I will now say that Unless you do something stupid- Falling does not happen.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-26-07, 01:35 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I find that doing a quick dismount removes almost all of the crash and burns. Once it becomes apparent that I and the bike are going to quickly go our separate ways - I find a willful leaving of the bike better than riding it down to a fiery finish.

Depend on the direction I am moving and what direction the bike wishes to go - there are various means of exiting leaving most everything intack, except perhaps my pride. I have walked over the handlebars, done handsprings, let the bike leave with me running behind it but what I try to do is end up still on my feet if possible.

Since I am not built like your bike racer but am pretty strong in the upper body, I will take some of the impact with my arms if necessary - but I make sure my arms are not locked. You do that and you can end up breaking your arms which isn't very good.

If you wish to learn to fall, take up MTBing - you will learn in no time!
Old 03-26-07, 01:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like it could vary a lot from person to person.

Back when I played a lot of baseball, I used to envision what I would do before each play should the ball be hit to me ... and for both on the ground and in the air. The reason for doing so was so that I would be prepared and would then be able to react quickly without having to try to decide what to do while people were running and every tenth of a second counted.

I would recommend the same to you in terms of falling. Think about what you need to do, vision it out in your mind, think about how you would do it while sitting on the bike. Then should it happen, you've got a better chance of remembering your desired actions than if it just happens and all you can do is react. If you are going to keep your hands in and roll with it when you hit the surface, then work all of that out in your mind now.

Here's some info you may find handy:
https://bicyclesafe.com/
https://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/traffic/
Old 03-26-07, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Although I do not fear being injured falling from my bike, I often think of the consquences of falling in the path of a car.

If falling becomes inevitable, and I am able to think fast enough, I believe I would try to direct my fall...away from motor vehicle traffic.
Old 03-26-07, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And grass is softer than concrete.
Old 03-26-07, 01:50 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
If you wish to learn to fall, take up MTBing - you will learn in no time!
Trying not to get YEN worried but Mountain biking is a different ball game. You are not a mountain biker until you have gone over the handlebars and land still clipped in and hands on the bars but on your back. More impressive if you are still pedalling. The front wheel stops suddenly and you Vault over the bars and land on your feet running at 20mph. Or The splash you put up when you land in the deep muddy puddle gets your mates wetter than yourself.

Mountain biking is for nutters- but I would rather fall in 6" of mud than on hard Tarmac.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-26-07, 01:53 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I commute on a MTB on rock, mud, sand and cow manure. I am really good at an unintentional dismount!
Old 03-26-07, 02:22 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
There's a chapter in Ned Overend's book on mountain biking about the proper technique for falling. If I could think my way through a fall, I'm not sure I would really fall that often. When it happens, I just go down.
Old 03-26-07, 02:54 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Notwithstanding the "slo-mo" phenomenon in these situations, all I have time to consider is to hunker over, try to find some "meat" [not bone] to take the impact, roll if possible, and retract extremities. If I can manage any two of these, I'm happy enough. 'Course, high speed falls are a different critter. . .stuff happens awfully fast. [Retracting extremities seems counter intuitive until you've once chosen to decelerate with a hand versus a hunkered over shoulder. . .parabolic learning curve.]

Old 03-26-07, 02:55 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have osteopenia but I don't worry too much about breaking a bone falling off the bike. I'm probably a little more cautious due to the brittle bones but I figure I can just as easily break a bone in an accident around the home.

I took one fall last year as I was starting to climb a hill. When I downshifted the chain jammed and I couldn't budge the pedals. It was one of those "I know I'm going down" moments I sort of rolled to the ground and ended on my back with the bike in the air and my feet still firmly attached to the pedals. Thankfully the only damage was a bruise to the hip and some scrapes on the knee.

I was always taught to avoid bracing the fall with your arms and try to roll with the fall. It seemed to work for me

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-26-07, 02:59 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

So, is there a proper way to fall of a bike, if one is able to think fast enough?

Jen
Yep...If you can think fast enough, avoid the crash in the first place!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-26-07, 03:26 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
don;t do it the way Molletta did it during Milan - SanRemo.
saw the broadcast yesterday on Versus, man, ugly... there were a bunch of crashes
but his was gruesome.
I know its on youtube, also think the footage is now on versus website

...hardest thing is to 'avoid' many crashes altogether, by >lookin where you want to go< , versus where you end up landing...
Old 03-26-07, 03:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beverly
It was one of those "I know I'm going down" moments
What runs through my mind is, "Oooohh Nnnooo! I'm going dddddoooooowwwwwwnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!"

Sometimes it is surprising about how long it seems to take before you hit.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-26-07, 03:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes, you don't really know you're going down in time to do much of anything except think, "Oh,sh....". Wheels sliding out on too tight a turn or touching someone's rear wheel. Then, it's just instinct and luck. Chain suck on a steep hill is the most give-you-time-to-feel-foolish as you topple over like that old, tricycled guy on Laugh-In. Generally, I'm going so slowly at that point no damage except to my vanity. KerPlop.
Old 03-26-07, 04:29 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Well if Halle Berry happened to be walking along and you flew off your bike landing right on top of her; that might qualify as a right way to fall off your bike.
Old 03-26-07, 05:00 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the best thing I've seen in this thread so far, is to roll when you hit the ground. I know, it sounds easier than it is. I've crashed into boulders, poles, holes, other bikes...slid out of control and crashed on pebbles, wet leaves, snow and ice and was never more than scraped up a bit. The rolling your body to a stop, or into control, worked equally well for down hill skiing back when we could afford to go.

The one time I tangled with a car and lost, I went down so fast that I only had time for one partial thought and then one complete one. When the car made contact I though "what the heck i.."at which point I was thinking "I made it through alive, where is my brand new bike?". I probably would have instinctively rolled if I hadn't been thrown into the darn light pole. No broken bones, no bleeding, lotsa pain.

Yeh, learn to be at piece rolling on the ground and then try like the dickens not to crash.
Old 03-26-07, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep your cell phone in your seat bag,not your pocket.Hit mud on the road on a sharp turn 3 weeks ago and recieved a nasty welt from the phone.Trashed my wind pants and my favorite OSU windbreaker and walked like Festus from Gunsmoke for about a week.
Who came up with that absurd saying,"if your not hurting,your not having fun?"
Old 03-26-07, 05:23 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
no good way to fall

If not a broken clavicle, a separation of the clavicle/scapula/humerus (AC separation) occurs when landing on an outstretched hand... I can testify that it is not pretty, and not surgically repairable for ordinary mortals. In my commuting days, upon being knocked off, I have made this mistake twice. It's a natural impulse to put your hand out when you apprehend the pavement looming toward your head. Fortunately, PT can eventually get you back to 95% of your shoulder strength, and in a year or two can pull the deformity back into reasonable shape. Sorry, this doesn't sound cheerful!
Old 03-26-07, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
One of the things I like about my LWB recumbent, is that you can easily step off when it is moving. bk
Old 03-26-07, 06:03 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Well - there's a difference between falling and crashing. I've fallen when not being able to clip out in time, and I've crashed once.

The crash occured while exiting a sweeping hairpin turn - the front wheel skated on something in the road that I never saw, and down I went at ~30mph. One thing I clearly remember about the crash.... it happened FAST, and there was no time to decide how best to hit the pavement. Absolutely no indication that I was about to go down....I was carving a perfect line through the turn with a huge grin on my face one second, and literally on my head and shoulder the next. I almost didn't realize what happened till I came to rest under the guardrail. I might have stuck my hand out if it were possible out of reflex, but there was never a chance of that.

I walked away with a very sore shoulder, some road rash on my back/shoulder/hip, a destroyed jersey, a cracked helmet, and a bike that was uglied up some.

So, I guess the best way to crash is fast, and don't hit anything until you've come to a complete stop.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-26-07, 06:06 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My wife, now 69yo, has only fallen once.

That was when she tried to do what she had seen me do - hop a curb. Except that she didn't know you had to be perpendicular to the curb to do that successfully. She tried it from an angle, with a fall the expected result.

Since that time, she does her thing and I do mine. Her thing is to be extremely careful, and take NO chances, which is good as she has a fair amount of osteoarthritis, and is susceptible. My thing is to wait for her.

One rule that all should follow in bicycling (except I guess Stapfam) is if you don't feel safe doing it DON'T DO IT! Never, never be coaxed by someone else into doing something you are not perfectly comfortable with.

I follow this rule on all the rides I lead - it is one of the first things I say to folks.

Defensive bicycling can keep you safe from falling.
Old 03-26-07, 06:16 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

Jen

Well, since every fall is unique, it's hard to say one method that will help..

However, from experience, I can say that trampoline training may be the best thing you can do. It teaches you how to maneuver your body in the air and how to think in the air. I'm convinced that in a crash there is a lot of time to do stuff while you are in the air, but no time at all if you don't know what to do. Flips are fun, and they teach you very valuable skills in body control.

What they taught me in my class seems reasonable, which is basically, that when landing, you try to spread out the force of stopping over as much of your body as possible. I tried that theory one day after missing the handle bars of a new bike when I went to clamp on the brakes. Over the top I went. I managed to take the road pretty much flat and caught my brand-new bike with my feet, saving its paint.

For a higher speed fall, you probably want to roll. Judo taught me how to take a fall rolling.

My best trampoline save though, was one time when I was standing waiting for a bus. My heels were next to a low curb and behind me was a steeply sloping terrain that went down to a parking lot about 6-7 feet below. Suddenly a gust of wind hit me, and I couldn't step back to recover my balance. I was falling backwards. Using my trampoline training of decades before, I led with my head, and managed to rotate my entire body 90 degrees while falling. I landed squarely along the small curb and avoided falling into the parking lot below which would probably resulted in a head wound. Instead, I was only embarrassed at being blown off my feet.

That's my take on it.
Old 03-26-07, 06:17 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wear this when you ride ...

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 12-26-07 at 11:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.