Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are trekking bars my answer?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 08:57 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

My Novarra Randonee is my first experience with drop bars, and it just ain't working. Lots of hand positions, sure, but they're all uncomfortable, especially in the drops. My body just doesn't work that way. The brake levers are another issue. I can't reach around them far enough to get a good squeeze, except in the drops, and as I say, that is uncomfortable to the point of being painful.

The trekking bars I've seen online look great, though I will note that I've a large box full of stuff that looked great and didn't quite work. Anyhow, it looks like the sides (for want of a better word) would work just like the bar ends on my Cypress, leaving two choices of straight bar positions. Also, with the STIs mounted sideways, I do believe I could get my little paws around the brake levers in a position where I could really mash them. Anyhow, I think I've seen some that do use STIs, which I like, so I wouldn't be adding my like new shifters to that bulging box full of "spare" parts.

I've looked at the Midge, North Roads, and Moustash styles. They've got potential, but experimentation isn't free. I mean, whatever the right bars are, I can afford them, more or less. I can't afford very many mistakes.

I hope this works in Fifty Plus.
Old 03-26-07, 09:30 PM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I fitted trekker bars (from Nashbar) to my MTB; there are other threads about the conversion and other folks ideas/takes/comments/impressions and lots of pictures. You might consider throwing "trekking bars" into the "search" function; I'm not sure just how far back the archives go, but I think the threads of which I speak can't be more than 18-months old at most.

Good Luck!

- Wil
Old 03-26-07, 09:56 PM

I'll do it. Thanks Wil. I have seen references to them, too, but didn't do my search.
Old 03-27-07, 05:25 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used them on a rented bike once. Very comfy.
Old 03-27-07, 07:10 AM

Thanks Jet. That helps.
Old 03-27-07, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I couldn't make the drops work either, so I bought a flatbar bike. I tried the Randonee and it was a very smooth bike, but I didn't care for the handlebars. Anyhow, I just changed the flatbars out and put trekking bars on and I love them. I went 20 miles with them yesterday and I know they will be staying on my bike. Like Wil said, do a search and you'll see all kind of pictures.
Old 03-27-07, 07:38 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nermal
Thanks Jet. That helps.
The thing I liked most is that you could ride all day with a variety of very comfortable hand positions and with a semi-upright riding position. They'd be perfect for a long tour if if you have back issues. The only downside is that they're heavy, but if speed is not your aim, that's really not a problem.
Old 03-27-07, 09:23 AM

That does it. I'm getting trekking bars. I love hearing the words 'bike' and 'comfy' close together.
Old 03-27-07, 01:35 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a set of the Nashbar trekking bars I hope to get onto my Giant Sedona some day... In a search, I have seen them referred to as butterfly bars as well. Try the Touring forum... and come back here and post links to save me time.

For the indecisive, there are still issues once you get them, since there is no "official" way to mount them. I think I want them the way I have seen most often, with the opening toward me, relatively flat... But, there is no specified top or bottom, and both ways seem reasonable depending on the angle that they are clamped in... It seems to me that the real decision in placing is whether or not you want the open part higher or lower than the stem.

I plan to use my existing brake levers, and either the existing grip shifters, or a set of rapid fire shifters that I have... I would be cautious about brifters, since they will probably be mounted pretty horizontally, and you may tens to shift when you rest your hands on them... But, it seems wiorth a try.

Outbound (away from the opening) will a set of grips, and then tape the rest of the bar. I'm thinking I will need to try it without bar tape and then add the tape so that I will get off of the can and just do it instead of trying to acheive perfection without actually trying them.

I tend to like my grip shifters ok, but I have a mild feeling that I might possibly have a slkight preference for rapid fire shifters (even though I have never used them). Does anyone have any thoughts to push me over the edge?

I'm also toying with foam grips instead of tape... I have big hands, and like the extra thickness of the foam, I also like lots of cushion. Anyone know where to find good foam grips?

And finally, does anyone know how to keep people from hijacking threads?

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-27-07, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my Shimano rapid fire shifters a lot. I changed from grip shifters to the Shimanos the day I bought the bike. They have been trouble free and very positive in their shifting action over the last year with them. I like this thread. Maybe a set of trekking bars will be what I need for the Coda Elite I ordered yesterday. Thanks for the inspiration to look at that model George!
Old 03-27-07, 02:27 PM

Good going Terrierman, I know you will not be disappointed. I changed the gearing on the bike before I left the store to 26/36/48 for a little hill climbing and I just put Trekking bars on it, which I like very much. I have a feeling your going to be very happy, congradulations.
Old 03-27-07, 03:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm destined to be more like George. We've talked about gearing mods too. I'm thinking it will be a very nice bike. Thanks.
Old 03-27-07, 03:32 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I really like my Shimano rapid fire shifters a lot.
Good enough for me!

I actually thought I would like them enough that I bought them, but have been hesitating for no good reason. Now I just have to do it, and the trekking bars. Sounds like a weekend project, make the switch and do a nice test ride.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-27-07, 04:40 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many miles have you put on your current setup? It may just be an issue of getting used to the new equipment and position.

re: brakes

Do you have smaller than normal hands? If so, check with your LBS. Shimano sells a $12 part that reduces the amount of distance from bar to brake lever. It's a fairly common add-on for women's bikes because of their smaller hands.

re: getting comfortable in the drops

This may be an issue of bike fit, or it may represent a lack of flexibility on your part.

For the former, you may need to try raising your bars, or installing a shorter stem (worst case - your frame's too large).

For the latter, stretching, plus miles, can help.

It should also be noted that most cyclists spend most of their riding time "on the hoods" and not "in the drops".

FWIW, I know plenty of riders in their 50's, 60's, and 70's who are not world class athletes, but who are comfortable riding on standard drop bar road bikes.

Last edited by SSP; 03-27-07 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-27-07, 05:10 PM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is one thread, has a picture of one of my set ups, have about 2000 miles on this one and they are still the best I have used...
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/270249-looks-like-great-touring-handlebar.html
Old 03-27-07, 06:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Good enough for me!

I actually thought I would like them enough that I bought them, but have been hesitating for no good reason. Now I just have to do it, and the trekking bars. Sounds like a weekend project, make the switch and do a nice test ride.
Good luck, I hope you like them as much as I do, and Semper FI!
Old 03-27-07, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by SSP
Do you have smaller than normal hands? If so, check with your LBS. Shimano sells a $12 part that reduces the amount of distance from bar to brake lever. It's a fairly common add-on for women's bikes because of their smaller hands.
You have just got to be kidding! Nobody makes anything useful for $12 - do they? I'm going to go look for it.
Old 03-27-07, 07:11 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KLW2
Here is one thread, has a picture of one of my set ups, have about 2000 miles on this one and they are still the best I have used...
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=270249
I was thinking of bar ends too... It sems a little over the top, but maybe I'll give it a try too.

What was your source for the foam?

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-27-07, 09:46 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
I love hearing the words 'bike' and 'comfy' close together.
I have or have had bikes with several different types of handlebars. Drop bars, flat bars, riser bars, moustach bars, albatross bars and aero bars. They are all comfortable and useful for some type of riding and setup. But for any road ride of an hour or more (sometimes many more), there is no bike more comfy to me than my road bike with drop bars. Nothing else even comes close.
Old 03-28-07, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I submit to you 3 example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3 bikes.jpg (42.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 03-28-07, 05:15 AM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I was thinking of bar ends too... It sems a little over the top, but maybe I'll give it a try too.

What was your source for the foam?
I have used the bar ends in a couple different positions and liked most of them. Picked up the foam at my LBS for about $7.00 I think...
Old 06-21-07, 04:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is how I have mine set up. They are the best improvement that I have made, very comfortable!
Old 06-21-07, 05:28 PM

Here's mine https://i11.tinypic.com/4t67lon.jpg https://i13.tinypic.com/
Old 06-21-07, 05:30 PM

https://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=53fc9hi
Old 06-21-07, 05:32 PM

Man did I screw that up, still testing. I should have stopped with one picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.