Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with this saddle?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 03:44 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After having issues with my Terry Fly saddle on rides over 50mi. (numbness below), I switched to a Specialized Toupe saddle, which relieved the pain in the prostate but caused pain in my sit bones. Yes, I've read all the fans of Brooks saddles, but another I'm considering is the Selle An-atomica Titanico saddle. Recommended on the Long Distance forum, and read many favorable both there and on mtbr.com. This is for my Litespeed Tuscany, and am looking for something more comfortable for long distances. Any feedback, opinions, insights are encouraged!!!
Old 04-13-07, 04:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Learn to get out of the saddle more.I have 3 bikes with 3 different saddles and the only way to cure Butt ache is to take a butt break- Regularly. Downhill slope and left leg at the botton of the stroke and out of the saddle and Heel down to stretch the calfs at the same time- 10 seconds or so and the same on the right leg. No slopes- get into a higher gear and pedal out of the saddle. This way I can go for 8 hours without feeling that I do not have a saddle - just the seat post.. Mind you after 8 hours butt ache is the least of my problems.

It is the only way that works for me- But on the tandem it is more difficult- I have to agree with the co-rider that we will take breaks at the same time.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-13-07, 04:30 PM
Live To Ride Another Day!

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This exact thing was my problem. It really scared me when I stopped at about 60 miles to use the men’s room and could not feel anything. Went out and bought a Specialized Toupe that week. I thought it was like setting on a brick but I hung in there and eventually I got use to it. It stopped all numbness below. Do not know why but after a year or so I started to get saddle sores so I went shopping again. Now I am using the Fizik Arione and like it. It is easier to break in and no numbness. IMO no matter what saddle you get you need to stand up periodically when riding if for nothing else but for circulation.

This is a well know problem with cyclist. In the L.A. Times Health section Monday, April 9, 2007 you will find the article The cyclist's tight spot
Old 04-13-07, 06:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride at Specialized Alias, and it took about 3 weeks to get the tilt angle dialed in and my sit bones in shape. Now it's the best saddle I've ever had, short or long rides.

I did try a Sele Anatomica up at Rivendell a few weeks ago...just for two minutes, and wearing jeans..and it felt amazing. It is well worth trying, as the concept is very strong...

Last edited by Big Paulie; 04-14-07 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-13-07, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
Hi,
I have been using a Titanico for a couple years. It's the best saddle I've tried.
It is like the B17, but the nose is longer. Which means for most the bars should be close to the
level of the saddle.

There is a video at www.mcmwin.com showing how it works.
Old 04-14-07, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Terry Fly that I no longer ride, because after 2 hours it's just not comfortable. I currently ride the Specialized Toupe and had a similar experience to yours. HOWEVER, I gave mine more time, and I'm glad I did! I love this seat. It was about two weeks before the discomfort on the sit bones was gone. Now I simply ride and don't give my seat a thought, even on 5+ hour rides.
Old 04-14-07, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was trying a Terry Fly and was about to swap it out when I, for other reasons, went to a shorter stem and presto, I love the saddle. Do not have anything over 50 mile ride on it but I like it as much as the Alainte saddle I have been using. The moral of the story is that overall riding position has a lot to do with saddle comfort.
Old 04-14-07, 04:41 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Terry Fly and once I got it dialed in it is fine. The last time I moved it 1/4 inch forward and that seemed to be the majic move. I don't ride 50 miles but sometimes with really slow friends I spend a lot of time in the saddle. I agree with the above that it is important to stand up on occasion. I have been looking at a couple of used Tuscany's, how do you like yours?
Old 04-15-07, 07:52 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My .02: I have an E-3 on one bike and a Specialized Avatar on the other. If you can eliminate the numbness problem, sore sitz bones for me is just a matter of more hours/miles.

I'm not in saddle nirvana yet, but other things bother me more...
Old 04-16-07, 05:59 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the Selle An-atomica today, goes on the bike tonight & ride tomorrow...will report back
Old 04-16-07, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put Terry Flys on most my bikes, fits me perfect. Give me a good deal and I'll take them off your hands - oops, I mean butts.
Old 04-16-07, 08:04 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Baron
I put Terry Flys on most my bikes, fits me perfect. Give me a good deal and I'll take them off your hands - oops, I mean butts.
What's a good deal?