Thread: Started sooner

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started sooner

I know a lot of you guys just started riding like myself. Now that you have a few miles in and maybe a few years, don't you wish you started sooner? I know I do, and I'm loving every minute of it, even hills and pumping into the wind. Have fun and keep riding.
    George

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    I know a lot of you guys just started riding like myself. Now that you have a few miles in and maybe a few years, don't you wish you started sooner? I know I do, and I'm loving every minute of it, even hills and pumping into the wind. Have fun and keep riding.
    I started adult riding at 31 and wish I'd started sooner.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had started at 34 instead of 54 I might not be shopping around for new knees.......assuming I didn't do all that running!

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I started 50 years ago. It's that 45 year "gap" that got me!
    Lot of miles delivering newspapers when I was young.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
    Yeah, me too. I stopped some time in high school and rode very little after that until two years ago.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Coyote!
    I learned to ride old "balloon-tire bombers" at age eight or so. In Small Town, USA there was not much awareness even of 10-speeds. . .say nothing of really good equipment. My [minimal] regret is that as a kid I was unaware of serious cycling. After age 26, I compensated with a vengance and am still at it at well over TWICE those years! [I'm pretty sure I'm the butt of some family sarcasm. . .as they blow smoke, drink beer, and eat cheezy-poofs in front of the tube while I do the Endorphin-Ricochet-Boogey around the house.]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    I started riding when i was in my early teens - probably would have started earlier but we couldn't afford a bike - so i think it was about 8th grade when i got my bike - and i was on it all the time. Had a summer job during high school and couldn't afford a car so had to ride my bike - worked at a pizza place, Fri from 4pm to 2am and Sat from noon to 2am - rode my bike there an back. was a treat at 2am after working 14hrs. Rode a bit thru university but not much - bought my first 10speed -a cheap $100 steel. Once I started working full rode with friends off and on - but again not much maybe once or twice a month. But it didn;t matter - we could do 50mi on our old clunkers without missing a beat or even drinking water! As time went on I still rode off and on but not much. In my early 40's decided to do a triathlon - 6mi canoe, 6mi run and 18mi bike - so started training abit more. Rode each weekend getting ready for the race, and did my running during the week. Finally got rid of the old steel clunker - ok it fell apart and treated myself to a nice ti. Now have been riding more. But what I find is all those years certainly helped. The folks I usually ride with started when they were older and it doesn;t seem to be as natural to them as it feels to me. Anyway, I now plan to ride til they put me in a casket - itis fantastic, no impact, you can do it for hours and enjoy the scenery. Ok - i'm getting longwinded - can you tell it is pouring out and in the low 40's. ttyl

rick

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the "only If" Syndrome. As a Teenager me and my mates only had bikes- Summer holidays would involve trips out to local places of interest- by bike of course. Some of those trips would be 40 or 50 miles on 3 speed Sturmey archer- if you were lucky- but mostly on single speed bikes. Then you take up other interests but luckily for me- most of those interest's were physical. Athletics- rugby -crosscountry running. I gave all that up when the family came along for ten years. Then one night my 10 yearold daughter nearly beat me in a 100 yard run. Something had to be done and luckily for me- My mate had a spare bike and I could join him on a ride. He took me up 3 hills that I still swear at 17 years later so why I took up riding I cannot understand. I think it was the realisation that with a bit of effort and training- this bike riding could be fun. And the downhills were a blast.

The "only if" bit is that if I had only taken up riding sooner- I could not be like Lastplace, and have knees that have to be taken care of.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey stapfam, I was reading your post on disk brakes yesterday and I was very impressed. I really like my disk brakes, on both of my bikes, but when you guys started talking about going down hill and possibly losing your brakes the hair on my neck started to raise up. Anyhow, thanks for a good thread, there is so much to learn, I can't believe it.
    George

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had started at 34 instead of 54 I might not be shopping around for new knees.......assuming I didn't do all that running!
    That's exactly my story. Ran for years, was nearly addicted to it. Knees and ankles just wouldn't hold up anymore so I switched to biking about 12 years ago. Always rode "a little", but nothing much. Sure wish I had skipped all those years of running and just biked.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it the other way around. I started late, at age 12, because developmental physical coordination challenges, but I never quit. One hundred thousand miles later, I realize that taking up bicycling was one of the most important positive things I have done in my life.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    I concur. I think my years of bicycling are the reason I am still jogging or racewalking 5-6mi / 8-10km per day. The best coaching advice I ever received regarding running was, "Don't just run," meaning, "do a wide variety of other exercises, as well."
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
    Same here but only a 14 year layoff. Perhaps the dumbest thing I ever did but there is no looking back.