Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding with Oldies!!!!

This morning I decided to try the Group that starts out from the centre of town for a ride. Two groups and The person I first started talking to said no problem as His group was just going out for about 40 miles to take in a few hills. Decided to join this group as there were one or two fit riders about and I did not want to get slaughtered. I had previously tried the fast group on my mountain bike on knobblies and to be honest- I did not enjoy the ride. SO out with the old group. Only 3 others Frank- Les and Dave. Aged as I later found out 68, 74 and 75.

As we pulled away- I looked at the bikes. All tourist types but Looked at the Granny rings- 28 or less and the rear cassettes had large rings on them that must be around 34t. That should have given me a warning that the hills were not going to be slopes. These were hills. 15% to 20%- not long but plenty of them and on country lanes that did not allow a great amount of speed to give you a run at them. You come round a sharp bend and there it is- and you are in big ring and where's the granny gone? Speed on the flat was not too great but they all knew how to ride. Any advantage in the terrain and they were gone. Luckily I am am younger and have a more modern bike- but they had the experience and the low gears.

We finished up at a cafe in a tourist village and although very nice and twee- they did not do breakfast. If they did I probably could not have afforded it looking at the menu so just had coffee and fruit cake. Have to admit that I enjoyed the ride and I have to marvel at the way they rode the hills. I did not struggle- Could have wished for a bit more speed on the flat but they made me work to stay with them.
    Pic attached but shortly after this I left them as I was running out of time.

Thanks lads for a good ride and I will be out with you in the future- whenever I feel like being worked over- Again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a wonderful story. I hope I'm still riding in another 15 to 20 years, and have friends with which to ride.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sure a lucky to have such friends to ride with, good luck stapfan, and safe riding.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like stories like this

Paul

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the tattoos on that one guy should have warned you they were some tough geezers!

Good story.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved the ride report! I've learned from past experience that many of those older riders can be tough to keep up with
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stapfam,

Ok, I'll bite. What is 'TWEE'? As for gearing, I just had a 12-34 put on my rear.....of the bike.....and think it is great.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, great story, and very inspirational. I hope I will be in that kind of shape in 20 years. The kind of shape when I wouldn't think twice about 40 miles and a few hills.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    Yes, great story, and very inspirational. I hope I will be in that kind of shape in 20 years. The kind of shape when I wouldn't think twice about 40 miles and a few hills.
    You might be in that kind of shape by the end of the season THIS year.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    stapfam,

Ok, I'll bite. What is 'TWEE'? As for gearing, I just had a 12-34 put on my rear.....of the bike.....and think it is great.
    twee-- nice and in good taste- a bit chintzy and just like the story books for little girls say it should be.

In other words look as it should for a quaint country cafe and that is what brings the tourist's in.

Not thinking of 12/34- have that on the MTB's but I am thinking of a 30t to go on before my trip to France.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being and older rider (74) do admit to having slowed down a bit and no longer keep nose to the wheel, so to speak.
    Run a triple with 11/25 on the back. Manage to get in 100+ road miles a week.
    Can hardly wait to get older (!?).

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story Stapfam, gives myseld and others hope to be riding 10 to 20 years from now. By the way, I liked the background in the picture, it reminded me of the times I visited your beautiful country.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story Stepfam, and I'm impressed that ANYBODY could make you work hard to keep up with! They'd HAVE to be in good shape!
    From the pictures, are those the guys you rode with or in one of them you ?

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    You might be in that kind of shape by the end of the season THIS year.
    I hope so..... what I meant was I hope to still be in that kind of shape in 20 years.

An arborist came to trim our trees a few years ago. We asked him about a particular tree for our yard, one that turns beautiful color in the fall. He said it sheds leaves and asked "Will you still be able to rake leaves when you're 70???" I said "I hope so!!" He looked surprised, and I wondered if he doesn't see many 70-something people who are able to do anything.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat
    Great story Stepfam, and I'm impressed that ANYBODY could make you work hard to keep up with! They'd HAVE to be in good shape!
    From the pictures, are those the guys you rode with or in one of them you ?
    No these are Frank- Les and Dave.

Just to give myself some credability- I was able to lose them on the hills and I have done the hills before- but only a couple at a time. This ride took in 8 hills. On the flat I did have to slow down to their pace- but given a downslope and I had to work to stay with them. Their experience told as they took advantage opf the terrain. On top of that- While I was with them we averaged 13mph. When I left them I did 21mph for the 8 miles home but mostly downslopes.

Spike Milligan