Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Another fitness question

    I'm wondering if any of you who began cycling later in life (as opposed to continuing since you were much younger) have seen a noticeable change in your physical appearance. Not just weight loss leading to a smaller version of your previous shape, but the toning and re-shaping and muscle definition that results from consistent, regular physical exercise. I realize it takes years to get rid of the fat deposits that took years to pile on the hips, legs, belly and arms..... but is it really possible to get a leanish-looking body when you start getting serious in your 50s?

    I used to diet when I was younger. Back then, exercise wasn't preached like it is now. Dieting leads to only a smaller version of the previous shape -- same bulges as before, just smaller. Physical activity + reasonable dietary changes lead to not only a smaller body, but a smoother appearance.

    At 50+ I am still able to lose weight somewhat easily through moderate diet changes and moderate almost-daily exercise, but the fat distribution is different and it hangs on for dear life from the waist up. I'm wondering if I need to lower my expectations, or if the results will just take longer. I believe our appearance isn't as important as our overall health and fitness.... but for those moments when I do care, I'd just like to know.

    Jen
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  2. #2
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difficult this. I have never carried excess fat but I do have a body mass that migrates. I also do not diet as I need my Carbo-hydrates that most diets cut out. Only thing is that I have periods of the year when I do not exercise as much and in these periods I do put on weight. Trouser size goes up by 2" and shirts get looser round the chest. And I do not feel fit. When I start exercising properly the trouser size goes down but the shirts stay loose for a long time. Weight gets an initial loss but then goes up again. Then if I am lucky, that also goes down rapidly. In theory- or who you listen to- You lose fat and then gain muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. What I do notice though is that my calfs get shape to them and when I am at peak fitness- all you can see on them is shaped muscle and sinew.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  3. #3
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to do full-body resistance exercises for a whole variety of healthful reasons, not just bicycle riding - especially as you get beyond about 30-35 yo and start that inevitable 1% per year muscle strength loss that happens if you don't.

    Do I look like Charles Atlas or Arnold Schwarzie? No, much of that is what you are born with.

    However, I do have the pleasure of recently reading a medical report about a "Very well developed" gentleman of 67 yo.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-15-07 at 07:01 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As DnvrFox says +1.
    If you are willing to do a lot of exercise, you will see results. My legs have no fat and are very muscular at age 65. I got my waist down to 34 at 73" height and 195 lbs. There is no noticeable fat on my upper body either. Two years ago I was a fat 245 lbs size 40+ waist. So that is the good news.
    What did I have to do?
    Very disciplined diet consisting of high energy and quality food.
    Exercise at least 1.5 hours/day and often three hours. Exercise consists of fast hiking at 4 MPH, biking at 17 MPH and weights and resistance bands and squats.
    I am trying to loose a few more pounds and find it difficult.

  5. #5
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see by my avatar, it is quite possible to become far more slim and attractive through bicycling. Just sayin'
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  6. #6
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I'm not interested in whether cycling alone does it, but if it is reasonable to expect dramatic changes if we begin after 50. But as I said when I first joined this forum, whatever I do today, no matter how little or how slow, it's a lot better than if I did nothing at all.

    Will - with all that time spent each day, I'm assuming you are retired...? I wish I had that much extra time. I wish I had that much discipline!

    Jen
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  7. #7
    MAK
    MAK is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Delaware
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 56 and have always had a weight problem. According to the charts I'm either 50 lbs overweight or 13" too short (sorry...old joke). I am broad shouldered and fairly well muscled (big boned???) so while obviously overweight, I carry it without being too round. I took up cycling again two years ago and haven't ridden as much as I'm riding more frequently when I can. That said, I would swear that as quickly as the day after any type of 15 mile ride or more, I can really feel a difference in my body the next day. My pants feel looser and my belt (on its last notch) also feels looser. I have no doubt that this summer I will be able to lose significant weight once school is over and I can ride almost every day. As for my diet, I just try not to be as stupid as I've been for the last half century.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    Will - with all that time spent each day, I'm assuming you are retired...? I wish I had that much extra time. I wish I had that much discipline!

    Jen
    No, I am not retired yet. I prioritized exercise as a way to deal with the stress of an industry under duress. My customers are the Detroit Automotive Industry and their suppliers. Do I need to say more?

    Lots of exercise is a good way to cope as compared to others who go to the bar.
    I am 65 and expect to retire soon.

  9. #9
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    No, I am not retired yet. I prioritized exercise as a way to deal with the stress of an industry under duress. My customers are the Detroit Automotive Industry and their suppliers. Do I need to say more?

    Lots of exercise is a good way to cope as compared to others who go to the bar.
    I am 65 and expect to retire soon.
    Will, is your intensive exercise schedule ever a source of stress in itself? For example, setting goals that you feel you have to meet, and perhaps not meeting them, or having to do superhuman efforts to meet them?

    I am much more laid back than you regarding exercise, considering it in the context of my entire life, in which I try to build a number of stress relief activities, such as my music and time with my family. Exercise is only one of my stress relievers.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  10. #10
    Wheezing Geezer Bud Bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crowley, Tx
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Posts
    1,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    Thanks everyone. I'm not interested in whether cycling alone does it, but if it is reasonable to expect dramatic changes if we begin after 50. But as I said when I first joined this forum, whatever I do today, no matter how little or how slow, it's a lot better than if I did nothing at all.

    Will - with all that time spent each day, I'm assuming you are retired...? I wish I had that much extra time. I wish I had that much discipline!

    Jen
    I think it's tougher, but not impossible, as you get older. You just have to work harder at it, which demands more time, which takes a serious commitment and lifestyle changes.

    You hear many athletes talk about how easy it was when they were 20, but how they have to work so hard to stay fit at 40. I think that applies to everyone. Our bodies will never look 20 again, but if we could just find enough time to put into it, we could be just as fit as we were then. Matching our performance from that age might be impossible, but being just as fit isn't.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

    They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

  11. #11
    Don't mince words Red Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Posts
    6,864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    I'm wondering if any of you who began cycling later in life (as opposed to continuing since you were much younger) have seen a noticeable change in your physical appearance. Not just weight loss leading to a smaller version of your previous shape, but the toning and re-shaping and muscle definition that results from consistent, regular physical exercise. I realize it takes years to get rid of the fat deposits that took years to pile on the hips, legs, belly and arms..... but is it really possible to get a leanish-looking body when you start getting serious in your 50s?

    I used to diet when I was younger. Back then, exercise wasn't preached like it is now. Dieting leads to only a smaller version of the previous shape -- same bulges as before, just smaller. Physical activity + reasonable dietary changes lead to not only a smaller body, but a smoother appearance.

    At 50+ I am still able to lose weight somewhat easily through moderate diet changes and moderate almost-daily exercise, but the fat distribution is different and it hangs on for dear life from the waist up. I'm wondering if I need to lower my expectations, or if the results will just take longer. I believe our appearance isn't as important as our overall health and fitness.... but for those moments when I do care, I'd just like to know.
    I was very fit from my late teens until 48 (not counting 2 pregnancies wherein I gained 60 lbs. each but lost it w/in 2 years post-partum. No regrets, not a one). Hormones, burn-out, unconscious eating led to 30 lb. weight gain. I woke up one morning two months after my 50th and freaked out -- I was way too young to be feeling so crappy!

    Got the eating under control, hit the gym, found cycling classes, rediscovered love of road riding. Six months it took me to lose that 30 lbs. In that time I became more compact -- very muscular but smaller than in my heavy lifting days. I credit the cycling -- my calves & ankles are smaller & more defined than ever. I have no "saddlebags" either -- something I had no matter how lean I was in younger years. Even my arms are smaller -- still muscular, but more compact.

    So yeah, I like what I see in the mirror. I like even more the way I feel when I wake up in the morning. I'll be riding as long as I can.

    Be as compassionate toward yourself in your journey as you would be to someone else in your position.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

    Visit my blog.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Will, is your intensive exercise schedule ever a source of stress in itself? For example, setting goals that you feel you have to meet, and perhaps not meeting them, or having to do superhuman efforts to meet them?

    I am much more laid back than you regarding exercise, considering it in the context of my entire life, in which I try to build a number of stress relief activities, such as my music and time with my family. Exercise is only one of my stress relievers.
    I think that this is a reasonable observation by you. My personality is such that I focus on something and loose my-selves in it and therefore blanket out other things I rather not think of.
    I think they call this escapism.
    I have some idea of your many hobbies and that is great for you. We are all different. I enjoy focus. That is why that XC trip was so great for me.

  13. #13
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    I think they call this escapism.
    We are all different.
    So true, which is what makes life interesting!

    Escapism isn't a bad thing. Sometimes it sure beats reality.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    So true, which is what makes life interesting!

    Escapism isn't a bad thing. Sometimes it sure beats reality.
    And I appreciate you and this forum. You are helping me a lot. I do not have folks like you around here.

  15. #15
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,075
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen-you can reshape after 50- and no, it is not expecting too much. From experience, it takes a combination of proper nutrition and exercise but if done correctly-and not overnight-it can yield excellent results. I really enjoy sliding on the same size trousers I was wearing out of College.

    I suspect we all hit a point though, where that process only takes us so far. Will D talks about trying to get his weight down a little more. I struggle with some "leftovers" around my waist that reducing calories and continued exercise just don't seem to completely eliminate. I'm and several of us are still working on the answers there.

    50+ is as good as age as any to get started. A number of us have done it.

  16. #16
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,346
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Yen-you can reshape after 50- and no, it is not expecting too much. From experience, it takes a combination of proper nutrition and exercise but if done correctly-and not overnight-it can yield excellent results. I really enjoy sliding on the same size trousers I was wearing out of College.

    I suspect we all hit a point though, where that process only takes us so far. Will D talks about trying to get his weight down a little more. I struggle with some "leftovers" around my waist that reducing calories and continued exercise just don't seem to completely eliminate. I'm and several of us are still working on the answers there.

    50+ is as good as age as any to get started. A number of us have done it.
    + 1 Age provides experience; not limitation. Listen to your body and be wise. You will then make the right decisions for you to achieve your fitness and cycling goals.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  17. #17
    Small Member maddmaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Posts
    7,078
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I notice that when the height of the riding season gets here that most of my aches and pains go away.

  18. #18
    Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Posts
    6,552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 53. I've have gone from 193 to 146(ish) since September. I was wearing extra large. Yesterday I went shopping and was shocked to find medium shirts too large. I actually bought a small.
    My face sure looks different. My body is changing. I'll never look 30 again, but I am starting to actually have a waist for the first time in my life. I hope to loose about 8 more pounds.
    I've started to do more situps and I'm looking for a core strength program I can do without a gym or equipment.

    So, we'll see...
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen

    Will -I wish I had that much discipline!

    Jen
    I will make an ethnic loaded comment about discipline [/B][/B](at my cost ).

    You can count on Germans to be disciplined (many if not most).
    You can count on Germans to wait patiently at an intersection for the light to turn green.
    And the same Germans took 6 million Jewish and other people to a KZ without question it.

    I did not come up with this. Freely copied from others.
    This is the legacy we bear.

  20. #20
    Live To Ride Another Day! MarkAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 56 I can tell you it’s a life style change. Mine includes a regular sleep cycle (meaning going to bed at the same time-getting 8 hours), cycling and eating healthier foods. No eating late at night and since I got to bed around 9pm that means dinner is about 5:30pm. I am still employed. The results are 40 inch waste to 34 inch and feel great. With this approach if I want lasagna with sausages when I go out to eat I get it. Now I have to decide if I really want to give up the red wine.

    Make it happen at your own pace. Eating healthier will be made easier if all the family joins in. I remember it was eight weeks of riding twice a week before I saw results, but when it started it was noticeable and kept on ticking.
    I'm pushing it "High and Wide".
    -Mark

  21. #21
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! Your stories and encouragement very encouraging.

    Actually, I have lost some weight (30 lbs.) since about 3 years ago. I am tall and my weight is distributed very evenly which helps hide it better but it takes forever for the weight loss to become evident, even in clothes sizes and that can be a bit discouraging. But I've kept at it and I have 15 more to go. My diet is actually pretty good already.... I don't eat much junk and don't even buy cookies (my #1 weakness). A bout of acid reflux a few years ago forced me to eat smaller meals and eliminate many offending foods which I now have only occasionally. That's probably what got me started. I eat smallish portions and don't go back for seconds.

    I just needed to exercise more. So, this month I have beefed up my walking routine to almost an hour daily and now that I have the bike, I can get even more exercise and use additional muscles that have been sleeping since the 80s.

    It is discouraging to see and feel the effects of too-little exercise for too long but I have plenty of energy, I feel good, my health is excellent (low BP, low pulse, low everything)... I just want to get rid of the extra fat and rebuild the sleeping muscles.

    Congratulations to all of you who have done it! I know how much hard work it takes, especially for us kids over 50.

    Jen
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •