Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd MTB race in the bag

I am now 1/3 of the way toward realizing my goal of entering and finishing 6 XC MTB races.

Today's race was at Heritage Park near Athens, GA. We had very hard rain last night with light showeres continuing through the morning. I was afraid that the course would be muddy, slick and awful. To my surprise it was in great shape. The only problem was some of the roots on the trail were a little slick, requiring extra care not to slide and fall, especially on some of the twisty downhill sections. But I managed to complete the two 6 mile laps without a fall and only a couple of real scares. Temps in the low 50s and winds gusting to 25mph made standing around the start area miserable, but out in the woods on the course it was a non-factor.

I felt good about my race. I met my goal of finishing and not being last. I didn't stick around to see the results posted, but I think I was again about 20th of 25 with 2 DNFs. My only dabs on the first lap were caused by other riders stoppping or falling ahead of me in some tricky sections. I cleaned the second lap without dabbing. That was a real accomplishment as there were a few technical sections that gave me trouble when I prerode the trails last weekend. My biggest problem remains being slowed and winded by hauling my 200lbs up the hills. I recover fairly quickly, but I need to keep working on keeping my output level going when I'm tired and hurting.

The next race is in 2 weeks at Ft. Yargo, a course with more of a rolling profile that favors power generation over climbing. Maybe I'll be able to get ahead of a few more of those skinny younguns. My wife didn't go this time so I don't have pictures.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I is proud to know you! Good stuff.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    I met my goal of finishing and not being last. I didn't stick around to see the results posted, but I think I was again about 20th of 25 with 2 DNFs.
    Great race and results - keep it up.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTG, I'm impressed with anybody that races a bike.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go, BD. I've never done the off-road thing, but I always figured the technical part would be the toughest for me. It sounds like you are doing very well with that part of it.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    Way to go, BD. I've never done the off-road thing, but I always figured the technical part would be the toughest for me. It sounds like you are doing very well with that part of it.
    I guess I would say that is my strength. Speed sure isn't it.

A friend got this fuzzy shot of me on one of the fast downhill sections.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not be disapointed about being in the lowly half of the field. Most of the people you are racing against have a few more years of racing behind them that you have. Experience counts- as you found out on your second lap of the race with no dabs or falls. I used to race but no longer. I came to my senses and do longer rides than sprints for 20 k that I can no longer do.

But even on my enduro rides- experience counts- I can look at a section of track and find the quick line- or the sensible line- or even the comfortable line. It pays off after 50 miles when you start passing the 25 year old Hares that are running out of steam.

Keep racing and keep enjoying it- but rather you than me nowadays.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's terrific!! I admire you for having the gumption to get out there and mix it up!!